Player Discussion The Legend of John Klingberg

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
And, just for fun, lets look at pairings. Presuming and O guy and defender in each pairing, how about:

Daley-Dillon (most experience, and Daley can play LH side)
Klingberg-Oleksiak (paired last night and didn't look bad)
Honka-Nemeth (might be best third pair in the league in a few years)

Also, while talking Klingberg, I thought Jamie O looked more confident last night, almost as if Nil said "We aren't sending you down now, don't be nervous about mistakes."

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
And, just for fun, lets look at pairings. Presuming and O guy and defender in each pairing, how about:

Also, while talking Klingberg, I thought Jamie O looked more confident last night, almost as if Nil said "We aren't sending you down now, don't be nervous about mistakes."

The line combinations thread is that way ->

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

Do you mean Daley on the right side? You have everyone there on their off side. I like the pairings though if things work out.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Well whoever created that graphic last night does think Wandell, Larsen and Vincour are 5th round rare gems...

In the grand scheme of things most 5th round picks never make it to the NHL. That Dallas has had several and has even more guys who were picked there or later looking like they could make it is a testament to just how good Dallas has been late in the draft. Look at the last 8 years for example.

Sceviour - 4th round
Jamie Benn - 5th round

Larsen - 5th round

Vincour - 5th round
McKenzie - 6th round

Klingberg - 5th round

Stransky - 6th round
Jokipakka - 7th round

Troock - 5th round
Sinitsyn - 7th round

Ully - 5th round

The vast majority of teams would kill for this kind of success rate even if all of them aren't going to be superstars. And no I'm not anointing the 2011-13 guys as sure fire NHLers but by now in most drafts those guys are falling by the wayside for other teams.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
In the grand scheme of things most 5th round picks never make it to the NHL. That Dallas has had several and has even more guys who were picked there or later looking like they could make it is a testament to just how good Dallas has been late in the draft. Look at the last 8 years for example.

Sceviour - 4th round
Jamie Benn - 5th round

Larsen - 5th round

Vincour - 5th round
McKenzie - 6th round

Klingberg - 5th round

Stransky - 6th round
Jokipakka - 7th round

Troock - 5th round
Sinitsyn - 7th round

Ully - 5th round

The vast majority of teams would kill for this kind of success rate even if all of them aren't going to be superstars. And no I'm not anointing the 2011-13 guys as sure fire NHLers but by now in most drafts those guys are falling by the wayside for other teams.

Pretty freaking solid. Imagine if we could get the steal of the 1st Round on top of the late-round magic! We'll take what we can get though.

Brand New Stars

I understand that they are still having success with late round picks. At least Wandell stuck around for a couple of years. Larsen and Vincour were nothing though. A gem isn't a player that plays a few games then gets traded/cut. That couldn't possibly fall under "gem" status even if they were 7th rounders.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I understand that they are still having success with late round picks. At least Wandell stuck around for a couple of years. Larsen and Vincour were nothing though. A gem isn't a player that plays a few games then gets traded/cut. That couldn't possibly fall under "gem" status even if they were 7th rounders.
I agree with you. For sure, getting any fifth rounder to play an NHL game means the pick found a player better than your average 5th round pick. It is a nice bragging right, but ultimately if a pick doesn't result in a full time NHL player, the pick is not successful.

I also think some of the success was a bit overstated due to how bad the Stars were for a few seasons. They ended up giving guys NHL time that a good NHL team never would.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
So many smart stick checks and pokes, his gap control is really deceptive as well. His defending is way better than what I was expecting, especially being paired with Goligoski. I hope he gets some time on the top power play unit after a while he already deserves it haha

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
1st Hull 3:12

"And lo, He said to the angels, reject the false prophet of Toaster, Alex Chiasson, for I bring you a new Savior. A new light. Behold Klingberg, The Klinger, The Money, The John, The God-King."

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
One of those most important aspects to Klingberg: he passes to the stick, not the man. I swear this entire team passes to the general area of the man. His passes are so accurate.

NukeJukes43

Love his poise, love his vision. Can't wait to watch our D core slowly turn to fins and swedes. Jokipakka, Honka, Oleksiak, Nemeth, Klingberg.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Well guys. At least I got to watch him a few times before he went up.

Man imagine the Swedish duo of Nemeth and Klingberg next year.......

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
BjAaX_KIQAAVNBs.jpg

Kneel before your God-King

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad