Player Discussion The Legend of John Klingberg

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I'd put Klingberg with either Daley or Dillon.

Daley and Klingberg on the top PP unit? Absolutely. 5-on-5? I'd rather see if Daley and Dillon can develop some chemistry, and give Klingberg to Goligoski. Normally I'd say this is all a bad idea, but surely it's better to giving him Gonchar.

I know it's more difficult for defenseman, but I don't see how they're different in principle from forwards: talent begets talent, grit begets grit, et cetera.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Daley and Klingberg on the top PP unit? Absolutely. 5-on-5? I'd rather see if Daley and Dillon can develop some chemistry, and give Klingberg to Goligoski. Normally I'd say this is all a bad idea, but surely it's better to giving him Gonchar.

I know it's more difficult for defenseman, but I don't see how they're different in principle from forwards: talent begets talent, grit begets grit, et cetera.

I also prefer Dillon with Klingberg 5-5.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Klingberg will be wearing #3 per the Stars' website.

I love it.

Jokipakka #2
Klingberg #3
Dillon #4
Oleksiak #5
Daley #6

Connauton #23
Jo. Benn #24
Goligoski #33
Nemeth #37
Gonchar #55

What gives with Nemeth and #37. What a dumb number.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Guessing that Nemeth would've preferred 12 but it was taken by Chiasson when he debuted.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
Klingberg will be wearing #3 per the Stars' website.

I love it.

Jokipakka #2
Klingberg #3
Dillon #4
Oleksiak #5
Daley #6

Connauton #23
Jo. Benn #24
Goligoski #33
Nemeth #37
Gonchar #55

What gives with Nemeth and #37. What a dumb number.

Klingberg wearing #3 eh? So how soon before the people on the Stars Facebook page freak out that Robidas should be retired? :laugh:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
... eek.......... and that shows how much I care about Steve Ott.

Give me a break... I'm still drinking my morning coffee :laugh:

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
... eek.......... and that shows how much I care about Steve Ott.

Give me a break... I'm still drinking my morning coffee :laugh:

lol well least you're not one of the Ott worshipers that appear whenever we play the Blues.

But, back to the topic at hand. I Hope Klingberg does good. Also can I have some coffee too?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dillon is still expected to play tough minutes .. something Klingberg isn't ready for. He was just coming around on AHL forwards.

He's a classic 3rd pair protected minutes IMO. Could be wrong, but I'd guess he's with a guy like Benn who is in the dog house and needs limited minutes. We will see if Ruff is ready to pull that trigger though and give Oleksiak or Connauton more minutes ... my guess is no though.

I bet we'll see Dillon and Benn with Daley and Goligoski again. Klingberg with the winner of the Oleksiak/Connauton rotation.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Shows what I know ... Goligoski and Klingberg are together.

Love that Benn is on the 3rd pair. Worried isn't a strong enough word though for Goligosk and Klingberg together.

Fly Like a C5

Dec 22, 2008
Shows what I know ... Goligoski and Klingberg are together.

Love that Benn is on the 3rd pair. Worried isn't a strong enough word though for Goligosk and Klingberg together.

If they can get out of their own zone they'll be fine. If they get caught in their own end, it's going to be really ugly. Of course that's true for the entire defense.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If they can get out of their own zone they'll be fine. If they get caught in their own end, it's going to be really ugly. Of course that's true for the entire defense.

... but it's clearly more true about them. You're talking about ... not even a slight competition ... the two physically weakest D on the team. They're not going to be able to physically handle anyone. It's going to be 100% positioning and stick checking, and neither is particularly great positionally right now. They'll have to out think everyone and that means making the right decision quickly. If they can do that, they could be formidable. That's a ton to ask of a rookie with little NA experience is all I'm saying. Not going to argue against baptism by fire. I've been wanting to see Klingberg in the NHL since they he shocked the SHL and was playing for Frolunda in 2010. This is going to be sweet. I've been following him for a while. Glad to see I was wrong to be worried about the Finnish half year though.

Fly Like a C5

Dec 22, 2008
... but it's clearly more true about them. You're talking about ... not even a slight competition ... the two physically weakest D on the team. They're not going to be able to physically handle anyone. It's going to be 100% positioning and stick checking, and neither is particularly great positionally right now. They'll have to out think everyone and that means making the right decision quickly. If they can do that, they could be formidable. That's a ton to ask of a rookie with little NA experience is all I'm saying. Not going to argue against baptism by fire. I've been wanting to see Klingberg in the NHL since they he shocked the SHL and was playing for Frolunda in 2010. This is going to be sweet. I've been following him for a while. Glad to see I was wrong to be worried about the Finnish half year though.

Oh I agree that there's a lot that could go wrong and the success of this experiment basically depends on Klingberg being able to be carry that pairing. Klingberg does potentially have the best puck moving skills of any defenseman on the team. If he's able to break the puck out of the zone effectively it will relieve a lot of pressure on him and Goligoski. Break outs seem to be a huge problem for this team. The defense seems to do a decent job of getting the puck when it's first brought into the zone, but then they don't get it out (lot's of turnover between the hash marks and blue line). When they don't get it out, they get stuck in the zone and then their defensive shortcoming become blatantly obvious.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Let's hope he brings a Karlsson like presence in the sense that he is on offence more than defense because of his puck possession skills. Breakouts should be smother when Goose and Klingberg are on the ice since they have the best first passes on the team.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Let's hope he brings a Karlsson like presence in the sense that he is on offence more than defense because of his puck possession skills. Breakouts should be smother when Goose and Klingberg are on the ice since they have the best first passes on the team.

Im hoping Stars get a fair amount of PP's tonight cause I could see him putting up a couple points. My very specific prediction haha.... 0g. 2a. 2pts(powerplay assists). Minus 1... 3 shots on goal. 0pim.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Klingberg looks excellent out there so far through 1 period. Night and day different than in the preseason. He looks like he's gonna be a special player for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad