Player Discussion The Legend of John Klingberg

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
He's playing his own game out there, not being reserved, he always want to be involved as much as possible. Great to see.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I'm not sure if his minutes are being sheltered or not, but he doesn't look at all like he's only playing his first NHL game.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Looked great in his first game. If he can get onto that 1st PP unit I think we will see what he can really bring to the table. Seems like a smart player with a good mix of skating ability and skill.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Well..fine...I didn't want to see Klingberg play here in Austin anyway.....********.

Seriously though, he played real well and seemed right at home with the big boys. May want to hold off judgement until he gets a few more games but so far so good.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
Klingberg looks excellent out there so far through 1 period. Night and day different than in the preseason. He looks like he's gonna be a special player for us.

To be fair, he was the best Stars player on the ice in the preseason game in Tampa. He's adjusting very quickly.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Saw where he actually led Stars in Corsi last night (on a night where AZ had much better numbers, so there is that.

He passed my eyeball test, too, for those not enamored with fancy stats. I saw a lot of crisp passes of many different lengths, the all so important "first pass" we talk about, usually in a negative way for the rest of the Stars D, who continued to struggle to get the puck out of the zone.

Let us hope he is just what the Dr. ordered. And, BTW, did you notice Nil mentioned Honka in the Gonchar trade presser as among the young D that might come up? Maybe he will be a quick learner and be up here way quicker than most 18 year olds, and Nil will have been right - we had the guys in our system all along and we just need to let them play.

While we don't want to ruin them, in a way I think it makes perfect sense. If you figure we are really SC contenders a few years from now, using our cap space next year to pick up the final pieces, we really don't want a lot of rookies starting on D then.....looking long term, we need them to be mature than, and suffer a bit now.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I try not to overreact too much to any one play or shift but Klingberg's first shift was a thing of beauty. To carry the puck out of the D zone and dangle successfully in the neutral zone and get the puck safely deep in the offensive zone the way he did was awesome. One play in one game, but the poise this guy showed from the drop of the hat was a shot of positivity.

This guy showed more reason in one game to get some prime PP time than Connauton has ever shown in the NHL. He looks like a legit player but he has to be put in a position to most positively effect the outcome of games. I give it 4-5 games before he's put on the PP with Benn, Seguin and co.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I try not to overreact too much to any one play or shift but Klingberg's first shift was a thing of beauty. To carry the puck out of the D zone and dangle successfully in the neutral zone and get the puck safely deep in the offensive zone the way he did was awesome. One play in one game, but the poise this guy showed from the drop of the hat was a shot of positivity.

This guy showed more reason in one game to get some prime PP time than Connauton has ever shown in the NHL. He looks like a legit player but he has to be put in a position to most positively effect the outcome of games. I give it 4-5 games before he's put on the PP with Benn, Seguin and co.

It's just one game, but...The kid can rush the puck in Honka-esque fashion. He's rangy, calm, and smart. He's gonna push Benn out of the top 4 permanently. Just one game, but I doubt it was fluke...too much skill in his game. He played better in his first game, than Oleksiak has ever played for us for instance. (not meant as a knock on Oleksiak either)

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It's just one game, but...The kid can rush the puck in Honka-esque fashion. He's rangy, calm, and smart. He's gonna push Benn out of the top 4 permanently. Just one game, but I doubt it was fluke...too much skill in his game. He played better in his first game, than Oleksiak has ever played for us for instance. (not meant as a knock on Oleksiak either)

Yeah, it's just one game of course but most guys don't look nearly that good in 18 minutes in the NHL debut. I'm a big believer in poise and hockey smarts and he appears to have them. Add to that his physical abilities and we might actually have a special player on D for once in a long while. Even if we saw an adrenaline pumped first game and he isn't all that great in the long run I do think he showed enough to show that he's an NHL player.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Definitely impressed by his performance last night, he seemed poised and confident which is something this D needs badly. Let's see if he can keep this level of play up as he gets more games under his belt.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I wouldn't say Honka-esque lol

that sounds silly

Haha fair enough, but you know what I mean. He's got that "slipperiness" in his puck-rush. Imagine if we had Klingberg, Honka, and Daley all on our blueline in the same game...scary. Of course you'd want some stay-at-home defensmen to stand guard while they all did their thing.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Haha fair enough, but you know what I mean. He's got that "slipperiness" in his puck-rush. Imagine if we had Klingberg, Honka, and Daley all on our blueline in the same game...scary. Of course you'd want some stay-at-home defensmen to stand guard while they all did their thing.

I really think we are close to a full on defensive shift:

Honka, Klingberg, Daley

Dillon, Nemeth, Oleksiak, Jokipakka

Maybe as close as next year

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I really think we are close to a full on defensive shift:

Honka, Klingberg, Daley

Dillon, Nemeth, Oleksiak, Jokipakka

Maybe as close as next year

OMG, if they all worked out, that would be fantastic. Not to mention, we could trade Goli, Benn, and KC plus something to get that guy who is closer to stud No. 1 D. Or, for even more assets up front.....or back up goalie.

Of course, in all reality, we will probably see one or most of those fall into the existing "good second or third pairing" guys, as seen with Nemeth, injuries can occur. Probably need to count on reduced productivity because of it.

Wouldn't compare Klingberg to Honka, who is behind him in the development curve. With some trepidation, we need to call him "Zubov lite." Hopefully, either he or Honka can be the second best puck carrier/exit passer we have ever had. If both pan out as anywhere near their top end, two of them is probably as close to one of Zubov as we will ever get in our lifetimes.

StarsFan55

Jul 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I really liked how he would skate out of trouble and into areas where he could make plays, rather than ice the puck like our other defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad