Player Discussion The Legend of John Klingberg

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I can see him barely breaking the points record, goals record is doable but I wouldn't bank on that one. Little tougher.

Daley btw now has 14 goals. Just 5 back of the franchise record (Maxwell, Boucher).

One to watch as well.

The way he's playing, he just might hit 20. Hey, if he does it before the deadline, I think that counts as immunity, right?

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If John Klingberg continued his overall pace, he'll score 17 goals and 32 assists for 49 points total ... setting a new franchise mark in Goals (done) and points. What is the franchise mark for rookie assists?

Now ... if he continues his pace from January 1st. He'll score 28 more points. 9 or 10 would be goals and 18 or 19 would be assists. He'd end the season with 57 points in 68 games of which he'd be a 19 or 20 goal scorer to go along with 37 or 38 assists.

More than likely, he will hit a lull at some point. I think he'd finish at or slightly better than his 49 point overall pace though. I'm going to say Daley though finishes with more goals.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
For comparison's sake, Ekblad is on pace for 49 points. I looked at his last 18 games as well ... that pace would still have him reaching 49 points. He's been a pretty good model of consistency.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I'm MORE impressed with Ekblad's rookie season. I DO NOT believe that means he deserves the Calder though. The trophy is for the BEST rookie season. If we're just talking D, Klingberg takes him because I believe he'll have had a bigger overall impact in Dallas this season than Ekblad did in Florida.

There's almost no chance he can take out Forsberg. Even if Dallas sneaks into the playoffs, Forsberg's impact on turning around the Predators is just too great. I think D are typically more valuable, and if he did actually finish with close to 60 points he'd at least force the issue. Still ... Forsberg looks like he'll finish with 75 to 80, and he's on a team that was bad and is now one of the best. That will play huge with the voters.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think most of us would be ecstatic with a Calder finalist nomination for the guy.

Btw, I listened to his interview with Sturm on the Ticket. Nothing ground-breaking but it was nice to hear him talk hockey, which he did because it was a one on one and not a featured guest on the show. When asked about his style and "trying to make great plays" (paraphrasing) he said that he feels he plays a simple game, which makes total sense. He simply makes very smart passes that look like you need a big sack to make but they are usually just the best play available and he is capable of making them. Ice water.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
The way he's playing, he just might hit 20. Hey, if he does it before the deadline, I think that counts as immunity, right?

Looked like that's what he's playing for on that goal last night anyways.

These boards need more TJC.

Agree :laugh:

Thanks

It appears that the second link is from 2003. Some records have changed since then. Ed Belfour is no longer the franchise leader in wins, Turco's GAA for the Stars is now higher than Belfour's, etc..

I didn't really go over all of them closely. Just wanted to point out that everything from October 1967 to April 1993 counts as well.

If John Klingberg continued his overall pace, he'll score 17 goals and 32 assists for 49 points total ... setting a new franchise mark in Goals (done) and points. What is the franchise mark for rookie assists?

Now ... if he continues his pace from January 1st. He'll score 28 more points. 9 or 10 would be goals and 18 or 19 would be assists. He'd end the season with 57 points in 68 games of which he'd be a 19 or 20 goal scorer to go along with 37 or 38 assists.

More than likely, he will hit a lull at some point. I think he'd finish at or slightly better than his 49 point overall pace though. I'm going to say Daley though finishes with more goals.

Most assists by a rookie is 60: Neal Broten in 1981-82
Most points by a rookie is 98: Neal Broten

I'm 99.999% sure the defenseman rookie record for assists is 30: Craig Hartsburg 1979-80

He had 14 goals and 44 points that season. I'm certain those both rank 2nd behind Maxwell's rookie defenseman records of 18 goals and 47 points.

Rookie defenseman points:
1.Brad Maxwell 47
2.Craig Hartsburg 44

Rookie defenseman goals:
1.Brad Maxwell 18
2.Craig Hartsburg 14

Rookie defenseman assists:
1.Craig Hartsburg 30
2.Brad Maxwell 29

So Klingberg has a pretty decent shot at at least overtaking Hartsburg for 2nd in both goals and points, could very well set the new mark for assists, and POSSIBLY sit 1st in all three categories. I think Maxwell's 18 goals will be the toughest for him. If he does get hot enough to break it, then obviously he has a shot at being the first Stars defenseman in history to hit 20 goals, unless Daley does it first.

That'd be something if they both did it.

I'll predict -

Daley:19 (Tying Maxwell and Boucher for the franchise record)
Klingberg:16

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yes he does. I want to see Klinger at the ceremony. Well ... know that he went. That show is a beating. I don't really watch it.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
No doubt. He deserves it, imo.

Absolutely he deserves it. If he doesn't get at least a nomination, it'll confirm the bias against Stars players and will only further confirm our belief that Zubov should have won at least one Norris and been nominated for at least a couple more, and should be in the HOF ahead of Rob freakin Blake.

Anyways....

At his current pace, if he had been playing from the start he'd be tied with Yandle for 5th in defenseman scoring with 39 points.

That would put him 8 ahead of Ekblad for the rookie defenseman lead, 1 back of Gaudreau for 2nd overall, and 9 back of Forsberg for the overall lead.

He currently sits tied for 5th in rookie scoring overall, and if he continues his pace he'll sit top 3.

If he manages that, then I don't see how he doesn't get a nomination. Unless there's a ton of sympathy given to Ekblad for the whole "But he's only 18" thing (which sure, there is merit), and they don't give Klingberg credit over would-be 2nd place rookie scorer Gaudreau for being a defenseman rather than a forward.

If the biases both go against him then he'll be on the outside, and we riot.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
No matter what happens, this is a damn good year for rookies, the best in recent memory. I take solace in knowing what we have with the kid. He isn't picking up points by making easy passes to big name players, he's a creator, facilitator, and possibly the PP QB we've been looking for since Zubov's injuries.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
No matter what happens, this is a damn good year for rookies, the best in recent memory. I take solace in knowing what we have with the kid. He isn't picking up points by making easy passes to big name players, he's a creator, facilitator, and possibly the PP QB we've been looking for since Zubov's injuries.

Yes to both points. I looked and only two rookies in the top 25 are minus players. Take that for what it's worth, and I haven't done the homework but I'm assuming that's not the norm.

And absolutely Klingberg is a playmaker. He doesn't just appear on the scoresheet because he's on the ice or he touches the puck, or makes the easy obvious pass then benefits, he makes sh** happen. You could see it right away. Big difference. That's where watching the game makes a huge difference over stat watching.

Last edited:

aloonda*

hf will probably explode when we play florida Friday with calder talk

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Listening to Klingberg interview with Bob Sturm ... this is fantastic. It's almost all hockey.

Cool non-hockey fact .... did not know his dad was a cop. Sounds like if I understand correctly that his dad works with at risk kids in gangs.

aloonda*

Listening to Klingberg interview with Bob Sturm ... this is fantastic. It's almost all hockey.

Cool non-hockey fact .... did not know his dad was a cop. Sounds like if I understand correctly that his dad works with at risk kids in gangs.

link?

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
uh oh, I heard a crack at Buffalo at around the 9 minute mark of that interview, better cue up the apology.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

He does, appears in the paper every now and then when something has happen that can be traced to youth gang related issues.

PuckFrozen

Oct 3, 2013
Finland
If he keeps scoring like this, he might record one of the best rookie D-man seasons after 1997-98(That's where NHL.com's stats start from).

Dion Phaneuf scored 49 points in 05-06 and Tyler Myers scored 48 in 09-10, so Klingberg's season will probably end up being the third best. 49 is possible though.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
49 is probably not achievable, he hasn't played enough games.

But third best is definitely achieveable (in the modern era, at least).

Assuming he's not injured severely.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
If he is able to all the remaining games (not a guarantee) and produces at the same ppg rate than he will finish with 47 points. So 49 is definitely possible, but the smart money is probably against it. He is producing at a .69 ppg pace, which over a full 82 game equals 57 points, pretty dang impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad