TV: The Last of Us (HBO)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Both games are masterpieces and I'm hoping the show will be too. I feel bad for the people who don't like the games, but I guess everyone has different taste. For those that do like them we were treated to one of the best video game stories ever told

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Both games are masterpieces and I'm hoping the show will be too. I feel bad for the people who don't like the games, but I guess everyone has different taste. For those that do like them we were treated to one of the best video game stories ever told

The first game was a masterpiece the 2nd game took characters from the first game and turned them into idiots

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sorry to hear you didn't like it. I loved the 2nd one as much or even more than the 1st. Masterpieces- both of them

I think you need to play them both again there are so many plot holes I could go on all day but that requires spoilers and not everybody has played the games,

Not to mention it could spoil the TV show

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I think you need to play them both again there are so many plot holes I could go on all day but that requires spoilers and not everybody has played the games,

Not to mention it could spoil the TV show

I've played both probably 5+ times by now. Platinum'd both of them actually too

I see very few plotholes really, if any. Not sure where you're finding all of these

I'd assume they're probably the typical things I see people pointing out that can be easily debunked tho. Lot of people were frustrated by that 1 particular death and now their views are completely flawed for both games

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
That game has been and is still being debated to death. There are more appropriate places do to it than in this thread...

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
As someone who's never played the game, being a member of the PC Master Race ( :sarcasm: ) and long out of touch with Sony, I have a hard time seeing how they could 'get it wrong'. I know the general premise of the games, and I'm sure the nuances of the story are good but while the mushroom zombies are new angle this is hardly an original plot/premise that's been done many times in Film/TV - grizzled father figure leading a child through the aftermath of some apocalypse. With a top tier budget and good well known actors I'm sure it will do just fine, with or without 'gamers'. HBO has a built in audience so they just put this on the front page as their next big thing and people will check it out.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As someone who's never played the game, being a member of the PC Master Race :)sarcasm:) and long out of touch with Sony, I have a hard time seeing how they could 'get it wrong'. I know the general premise of the games, and I'm sure the nuances of the story are good but while the mushroom zombies are new angle this is hardly an original plot/premise that's been done many times in Film/TV - grizzled father figure leading a child through the aftermath of some apocalypse. With a top tier budget and good well known actors I'm sure it will do just fine, with or without 'gamers'. HBO has a built in audience so they just put this on the front page as their next big thing and people will check it out.

It's very VERY possible to get this wrong I hope this is done right but I'm skeptical

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's very VERY possible to get this wrong I hope this is done right but I'm skeptical

Ah just to be clear yes obviously if you half ass it or let a Uwe Boll do it then it can easily suck, but what I'm talking about here is when you have a big proven production company like HBO sinking a lot of money and talent into it. Again I'm speaking in ignorance having never played the games but I'm focusing on this being an 'awesome dad leads kid through post apocalypse' story. You typically can't translate a video game directly because they have a lot of shooty/stealthy/jumpy/climby parts making up the gameplay but it should be easy enough to hit the main themes and story points.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ah just to be clear yes obviously if you half ass it or let a Uwe Boll do it then it can easily suck, but what I'm talking about here is when you have a big proven production company like HBO sinking a lot of money and talent into it. Again I'm speaking in ignorance having never played the games but I'm focusing on this being an 'awesome dad leads kid through post apocalypse' story. You typically can't translate a video game directly because they have a lot of shooty/stealthy/jumpy/climby parts making up the gameplay but it should be easy enough to hit the main themes and story points.

Even HBO can screw it up they screwed up thefinal season of Game of Thrones, although supposedly they wanted 2 more seasons

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Legitimately thought this was the game at first :laugh:can't wait for this

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Legitimately thought this was the game at first :laugh:can't wait for this

It looks they they got the outfits right, but I'm still wonder if Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsay can pull off the voice.

Especially Pedro Pascal, Joel with a Spanish accident won't work.

If he can pull off the voice people can buy him as Joel because you can make him look like Joel.

But if he can't it won't work

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Filming right before Tess' death :sarcasm:saw yesterday they were walking up the stairs of the "capital" building

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It looks they they got the outfits right, but I'm still wonder if Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsay can pull off the voice.

Especially Pedro Pascal, Joel with a Spanish accident won't work.

If he can pull off the voice people can buy him as Joel because you can make him look like Joel.

But if he can't it won't work

You do realize Pascal is American right? You've seen some of his other work-no?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Joel can be hispanic. Who cares. This adaptation doesn't have to copy the game in every way and the characters will be different.

But hopefully it stays in the spirit of the first game. I mean tonally, visually; and not too askew from the narrative.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Joel can be hispanic. Who cares. This adaptation doesn't have to copy the game in every way and the characters will be different.

But hopefully it stays in the spirit of the first game. I mean tonally, visually; and not too askew from the narrative.

Accuracy, especially when when it's something has beloved as the last of us is important that's why it's important that Pedro Pascal is able to pull off the voice.

It's why Bill shouldn't be protrayed as straight.

It's why if we get to Henry and Sam they should not be protrayed by white actors.

If you just say say f*** it and start doing whatever you want with the characters it's not going to work,

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Accuracy, especially when when it's something has beloved as the last of us is important that's why it's important that Pedro Pascal is able to pull off the voice.

It's why Bill shouldn't be protrayed as straight.

It's why if we get to Henry and Sam they should not be protrayed by white actors.

If you just say say f*** it and start doing whatever you want with the characters it's not going to work,
If they have no artistic licence to deviate from the show at all according to you...why not just go play the game again? Get talented people in the roles and make a good TV show and people should be more then happy.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If they have no artistic licence to deviate from the show at all according to you...why not just go play the game again? Get talented people in the roles and make a good TV show and people should be more then happy.

You can have creative licens, You can add new characters, in fact they have, there is Perry (I think that's his name) who is not in the game, there is Frank who is mentioned but not a key figure, there is a mystery character who is thought to be Ellie's mother, who is mentioned but never seen in the game.

You can have creative license and still do the key characters justice

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Oh man this is good. They recast Bill, and he will now be played by Nick Offerman.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Take all the time they need tbh. I'll echo my previous sentiment however that I do believe HBO are missing a significant opportunity here by not exploring a different story in the same universe. Keeping the games their own seperate entity while allowing a series set in the same Universe to explore the implications of the disease and how another set of characters handle it. The games are 2 of my favorite all time games, so playing the other end, I still am cautiously optimistic and don't mind retreading the same story if done correctly. I'm sure they'll take some different directions which is completely fine, doesn't have to be a word for word adaption.

The one silver lining I see from using the same storyline as the games however, is that it seems less likely to turn into a Walking Dead situation, considering that's my biggest fear with this series :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad