TV: The Last of Us (HBO)

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

So this is happening...

I'm definitely in. The Last of Us is one of my favorite games of the last decade and HBO is a great platform for it.

Craig Mazin is the creator of Chernobyl.

Lots of people saying Hugh Jackman would be a perfect Joel and hard to argue that.

Last edited:
Reactions: T REX

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
That's exciting.... and kind of funny that I've constantly heard talk about people wanting an Uncharted movie for years and then Naughty Dog goes out and makes The Last of Us instead

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That's exciting.... and kind of funny that I've constantly heard talk about people wanting an Uncharted movie for years and then Naughty Dog goes out and makes The Last of Us instead
I feel like uncharted would make for a good movie where as Last of Us makes more sense as a series.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm happy with this.

The Last of Us is one of my favourite games ever. Makes me want to go and replay it. Probably will.

Reactions: Tuggy

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm so happy about this. I'm very confident in Druckmann and Mazin to get it right...hopefully they do

Now casting for Joel and Ellie is gonna make or break this show. I agree with Jackman or Brolin for Joel, however I doubt they get either of those guys. For Ellie I think Kaitlyn Dever could be a great choice

Reactions: YNWA14

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Anybody care to explain what this may be about, for us non-gamers?

I don't wanna accidentally give away spoilers cause its been a little while since I played, so I'll give you this plot summary I found online:

1. "In a hostile, post-pandemic world, Joel and Ellie, brought together by desperate circumstances, must rely on each other to survive a brutal journey across what remains of the United States."

2. "Joel and Ellie, a pair connected through the harshness of the world they live in, are forced to endure brutal circumstances and ruthless killers on a trek across post-pandemic America."

Basically the game covers their journey together and how Joel begins to take her in as his own daughter(who died in his arms at the very beginning of the zombie apocalypse and was about Ellie's age). Really emotional game and very intense. The story is just incredible.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
HBO looking at what Netflix just did with the Witcher.

Wants to get on board with another insanely popular video game.

If done right this will be a masterpiece.

Terrible Posts for $200, Alex.

Lucky me that my #1 and #2 overall games ever are getting made into TV shows. Also Uncharted movie coming out next year? Hell yeah

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I don't wanna accidentally give away spoilers cause its been a little while since I played, so I'll give you this plot summary I found online:

1. "In a hostile, post-pandemic world, Joel and Ellie, brought together by desperate circumstances, must rely on each other to survive a brutal journey across what remains of the United States."

2. "Joel and Ellie, a pair connected through the harshness of the world they live in, are forced to endure brutal circumstances and ruthless killers on a trek across post-pandemic America."

Basically the game covers their journey together and how Joel begins to take her in as his own daughter(who died in his arms at the very beginning of the zombie apocalypse and was about Ellie's age). Really emotional game and very intense. The story is just incredible.

So, another zombie apocalypse show?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So, another zombie apocalypse show?
Essentially, though this is actually set with some form of realistic science as the cause of the apocalypse. A very real viral fungus that takes over the brains of ants, in this world the virus mutated and is transmitted through humans now.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Last of Us's story is really uninteresting and generic (Uncharted even moreso), IMO, so I can't say I'm intrigued at all. Seems like a waste of the Chernobyl guy, if anything.

Its initial draw as a videogame had more to do with its look and presentation being up to the production value standards of a blockbuster movie/HBO series (and the leads being marketable, I suppose), but outside of that novelty, it's pretty mediocre, IMO (and as a blockbuster movie/HBO series, it seems like it would be as well). If it ends up being good it would have to end up doing a lot more than the game did.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Shareefruck is cold.
:laugh:

I actually really enjoyed the game, and I liked the emotionally charged story. It is perfect for television.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Shareefruck is cold.
:laugh:

I actually really enjoyed the game, and I liked the emotionally charged story. It is perfect for television.
Really not a fan of the game. From my perspective, its storytelling is basically just Logan combined with Walking Dead, and trying to pass that off as deep or insightful somehow, simply with the sentiment that "a father's love is more powerful than the survival of humanity" or whatever. Top-drawer production values/voice acting talent and the fact that blockbuster sensibilities are a big draw really elevated that game's reception (storytelling and gameplay left a lot to be desired, IMO). I think the show might possibly be successful for the same reasons as the game/Logan/Walking Dead was (or it might be good if the Chernobyl guy manages to make something out of nothing), I just don't find what's there particularly noteworthy.

I agree that it's perfect for television in the sense that it was basically a videogame's attempt to replicate what you would expect from a high-production-value television series (it barely even benefits from being a videogame in the first place as a result of that, which is another thing I don't like about the game), but as a television series I think a lot of that novelty is lost and what's left doesn't stand out much from other television.

I assume they're trying to capitalize on the Witcher success, but Witcher had much more substance to work with, IMO.

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
e2h97yn0cwk41.jpg

I really like this fan casting of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Kaitlyn Dever. Given HBO's love of re-using actors Nikolaj might even get serious consideration.

Reactions: Kurtz and Tuggy

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Last of Us is hands down my favorite game of all time, and a series based around the games story is definitely intriguing, but I cant help but feel like theres an opportunity being missed here.

I dont particularly mind re treading the same storyline as the game, but with HBO's potential budget and the showrunners they have at the helm, I feel like telling a new story with a new set of characters in the world of TLOU would have been incredibly exciting. Especially with the sequel coming out soon, this would have been a great transition from that, as well as a fresh approach to the universe the game is set in. It would allow the games to be their own seperate entity, using the series to be more of an exploration into other groups and timelines.

Reactions: YNWA14

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
HBO looking at what Netflix just did with the Witcher.

Wants to get on board with another insanely popular video game.

If done right this will be a masterpiece.

Terrible Posts for $200, Alex.

Netflix' The Witcher is based on the books, not the game series.

Anyway Kaitlyn Dever might be a little too old at this point (almost 10 years older then character she is supposed to play).
I'm kinda keen on Keen with a Logan reunion in Jackman.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Even though it happens at the very beginning of the game I still feel like that's a spoiler unnecessary in this topic especially for people who are going to just be introduced to this through the show. Despite it happening early on it really punches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad