TV: The Last of Us (HBO)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
A really good Ellie would be Megan Stott, a great young actress. But she'll be probably too old by the time they get to this.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Now that the game is out they'll really get the ball rolling on this I'd assume. Hugh Jackman should be Joel, Kaitlyn Dever should be Ellie, and she has said she'd absolutely love to do it. I suppose you could even choose a different actress for the first season for a younger ellie and then change but idk that would be weird. The Last of Us 2 spoilers:
I think this show would best work as a new season for every year Joel and Ellie were together leading up to the 2nd game as the series finale, or the 3rd game if they make one. They're starting with the first game, and have 4 years of stuff they could cover right there with Joel and Ellie so plenty of stories to be told. Then, when the time comes if they really wanna follow the game closely, end it with TLOU2 as the 4th or 5th and final season, or hell even continue on for a few episodes or another season or so so we can continue Ellie's story and properly wrap it up that way since I get the impression her story is close to done if not done already in game mode. Could be a big reason they're ready and wanting to do the tv show. Then again, they could always choose not to follow the game exactly but it sounds like the first seasons story will be identical to the first game.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm so happy about this. I'm very confident in Druckmann and Mazin to get it right...hopefully they do

Now casting for Joel and Ellie is gonna make or break this show. I agree with Jackman or Brolin for Joel, however I doubt they get either of those guys. For Ellie I think Kaitlyn Dever could be a great choice

Druckman didn't get The Last of us 2 right, SO MANY plot holes.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
IF this is done right it can be one of the greatest TV shows to ever exist it has that potential.

But so did The Last of us 2 and they f***ed it up.

So we shall see

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Now that the game is out they'll really get the ball rolling on this I'd assume. Hugh Jackman should be Joel, Kaitlyn Dever should be Ellie, and she has said she'd absolutely love to do it. I suppose you could even choose a different actress for the first season for a younger ellie and then change but idk that would be weird. The Last of Us 2 spoilers:
I think this show would best work as a new season for every year Joel and Ellie were together leading up to the 2nd game as the series finale, or the 3rd game if they make one. They're starting with the first game, and have 4 years of stuff they could cover right there with Joel and Ellie so plenty of stories to be told. Then, when the time comes if they really wanna follow the game closely, end it with TLOU2 as the 4th or 5th and final season, or hell even continue on for a few episodes or another season or so so we can continue Ellie's story and properly wrap it up that way since I get the impression her story is close to done if not done already in game mode. Could be a big reason they're ready and wanting to do the tv show. Then again, they could always choose not to follow the game exactly but it sounds like the first seasons story will be identical to the first game.

There will absolutely be a 3rd game because money

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Why bother though? The whole post apocalyptic setting has been milked to death in the last decade and its not like very similar storys havent been told already on the screen and on the page (The Walking Dead, Cormac McCarthys The Road etc.). The only thing this show would have going for it is the franchise name and even that could be a disadvantage as fans of the games already know the major plot points in advance. Not to mention that video game adaptations havent had a great track record in the past; excluding light the hearted stuff like Sonic the Hedehog of course.

twotonfrankie1

Sep 22, 2020
Isn't this just going to be like, or similar to The Walking Dead? Zombie type things, and factions of humans out to survive in groups and fight each other for supplies?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Ellie has officially been cast.

Mahershala Ali was offered the role of Joel but they couldn't agree on a deal.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I see people online crapping on the choice for Ellie, was this girl not good in GOT? (I’ve never seen an episode of GOT)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ellie has officially been cast.

Mahershala Ali was offered the role of Joel but they couldn't agree on a deal.

Wow! Great choice! She was absolutely fantastic in GoT and you could see an incredible amount of potential. She is going to be a super star actress as she gets older, HBO made sure to keep her...

LMAO for idiots hating on it because she doesn't look identical to the video game character.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Enormous eye roll from me, and I'm not even really a fan of the game.

She couldn't act in Game of Thrones and they only gave her character more scenes for fan servicey reasons because she was a little girl who had a few funny lines telling off some adult characters and the audience liked it.

She also couldn't act and was incredibly annoying in her minor role in His Dark Materials.

From what I've seen of the game story she doesn't seem like a good fit at all in any way

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I’ll give this a shot, but with low expectations. I’m not into post-apocalyptic style entertainment, and never played the game. Two fantastic actors

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Enormous eye roll from me, and I'm not even really a fan of the game.

She couldn't act in Game of Thrones and they only gave her character more scenes for fan servicey reasons because she was a little girl who had a few funny lines telling off some adult characters and the audience liked it.

She also couldn't act and was incredibly annoying in her minor role in His Dark Materials.

From what I've seen of the game story she doesn't seem like a good fit at all in any way
She was fantastic in Game of Thrones.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
She was fantastic in Game of Thrones.

I know it's a matter of opinion and child actors generally aren't that good as a base level, but I found the delivery of a lot of her dialogue clunky and awkward though it did improve slightly when she got older. I know she was a minor character but there were much better performances from the main character child actors in the early seasons who actually came across as real people rather than just a kid speaking some lines.

Maybe it's just because of the characters she's played but I just find her seemingly too dull and uninspiring for this particular role. But I suppose we'll have to wait and find out if she actually has any range.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I liked her in GOT because of the role she played.

But I didn't like her in Dark Materials.

We'll see I guess.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
We all know the best real life actor to play Joel is Hugh Jackman but he's probably to expensive for them or doesn't want to do it either because of it's a small screen product or is far too similar to Logan.

My second choice was Jamie Lannister actor, but I'm ok with Pedro Pascal who is a talented actor himself.

Mahershala Ali is an interesting choice, I wouldn't have minded that just because of the caliber of actor that he is. He certainly would make the misanthropic and cynical aspect of Joel very believable.

I imagine the Ellie role was probably the most auditioned, we'll see if Bella Ramsey is up to snuff, as others have said she was great in GoT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad