Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Kids, The Vets, and the Powerplay

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Good

-Miller. Coughed up a few rebounds but looked on point.
-Good for Zemgus for getting his first goal. However didn't notice him much otherwise.
-Risto had one bad giveaway but looked pretty good otherwise. Looked solid on the PP.
-Flynn with some pure hustle. Haven't checked the box score yet. Did they give him an assist?
-Ehrhoff saves a goal.

Bad

-Yeah, Vanek looked uninspired. Always like seeing him show emotion when he doesn't bury a goal because it proves he's trying hard. But tonight he looked like he was on autopilot. Lazy.
-Stafford. Not gonna get on him a whole lot in hopes that he'll bounce back. But he was terrible down at both ends of the ice.
-I hate Ennis at center. Creates so much better on the wing. Can't handle the defensive responsibilities.
-Was hoping Myers would charge hard out of the gate but he looked shaky and had some positioning issues.

The Awesome-A fuming and very hostile Patrick Roy.

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
GBU to come. But first:

I'm immediately alarmed by this coachig staff. Don't care if it was one game.

You cannot. CAN NOTTTTT. Come out in game one of the season, in Detroit, in a game against a team like the Red Wings, in a high, passive 1-2-2 forecheck that is so passive it could pose as a trap.

Is that serious? In what alternate universe are we considered to be sound defensively as a team? Nevermind against a team like Detroit; we don't have the personnel to run that against ANY team, really. Detroit has skilled puck carriers who know how to find lanes, and defensemen that make solid first passes if given ample time. In no way would a high 1-2-2 forecheck come close to "correct forecheck deployment".

COME ON.

no coincidence that as soon as we pressured them we started to create offense.

What a terrible way to start as a coaching staff in my eyes. A brutal display of poor preparation.

Just came here to post this. Unbelievable, almost seemed like Dick Jauron was behind the bench. Made the game, from my perspective, almost unwatchable.

I heard Ron was a defensive minded coach, but dang. Babcock was licking his chops in that interview with Pierre, basically said that we can go whatever way we want when a team is this passive.

Please start forechecking, if not, I can see a long boring season ahead and the kids won't keep me interested with that style of play. Forechecking is like the difference between a Wannstadt defense and a Pettine defense. Last night was clearly a Wanny game plan.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Just came here to post this. Unbelievable, almost seemed like Dick Jauron was behind the bench. Made the game, from my perspective, almost unwatchable.

I heard Ron was a defensive minded coach, but dang. Babcock was licking his chops in that interview with Pierre, basically said that we can go whatever way we want when a team is this passive.

Please start forechecking, if not, I can see a long boring season ahead and the kids won't keep me interested with that style of play. Forechecking is like the difference between a Wannstadt defense and a Pettine defense. Last night was clearly a Wanny game plan.

This really stood out to me. Babcock seemed like a kid in a candy store.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
So what's up with that pp?

Ehrhoff was so deadly on it with Nucks. And in transition game too on ES. To my understanding he hasn't been bad but not as solid as he was with Nucks? Isn't he allowed to play his game or what?

Buffalo Warlord

Jul 12, 2013
G - Christian Ehrhoff was very good and the "kids" played well, with exception of Grigorenko who still needs some work.

B - We are stuck with Drew Stafford, Ville Leino and Myers who I think still looked lost last night.

U - The powerplay was brutal, 2 long 5-3 and notta

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Just caught it on the DVR.

I thought Grigorenko played one of his best games as a pro. He seems to enjoy playing with Zemgus.

Stafford was awful.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The PP cost us the game. Two plus minutes of 5-on-3 and not even a dangerous chance. Have to win a special teams battle against Detroit, because they're so stout at 5-on-5. You aren't beating Detroit going 0-for-7 on the PP. Pretty simple.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The PP cost us the game. Two plus minutes of 5-on-3 and not even a dangerous chance. Have to win a special teams battle against Detroit, because they're so stout at 5-on-5. You aren't beating Detroit going 0-for-7 on the PP. Pretty simple.

Given all the goals being given up around the league and the youth on D and lack of great defensive centers, I'm pretty happy with a 2-1 loss.

The biggest problem I see is who is going to fill the vacuum created by losing Pominville and Vanek (maybe...) long term?

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Good - The kids looked okay. Girgensons' first NHL goal!
Bad - Stafford, Leino, Myers, Stafford, Vanek and that post.
Ugly - The coaching, the power play, the complete and utter lack of anything resembling a forecheck. That was almost three periods of no pressure from the sabres.

Buckle in, everyone. I suspect that this will be a long and painful season :(

EDIT- I still think we're in for a long and painful season, but a thought did occur to me. Last year, when the Sabres' season opener was a pretty convincing win over the Flyers, the fan base was pretty high on how the team would do. Perhaps it will take a few more games to really feel out how good or how poor we'll be. Granted the '12-'13 flyers were not very good and the red wings are...well, the red wings.

Last edited:

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Ennis was bad. Really bad. His passing is downright terrible.

If they don't move him to the wing soon, I'll be 100% behind trading him.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Same to you. I guess I'm trying to say that when you execute the dump and chase properly, offensive zone time increases. Things that need to happen for that:

- observance. If you don't have a land, put the puck in deep. Neutral zone turnovers are killer.

- put the puck in a position to be retrieved.
::::::::NO- a hard wrap around to a side on which your teammate is changing, and there are no teammates over there, just opponents. YES-a lob into te far corner when your teammate on the opposite wing is coming through the neutral zone with a full head of steam

- intelligence. Understand that your job as the first guy is to separate the puck from the opponent retrieving it. You have to know when to follow through with a check versus when to force them up one way with stick pressure.

- the second guy has to have his head on a swivel and know what to do when he goes to retrieve the puck in the event the first guy in is successful

- the third guy is crucial. Low enough to be a support option and an outlet, high enough to retreat back if the other team is quick out with it or goes off the glass.

- weak side dman aware that he's the last line of defense, and needs to cut the ice in half

I support the dump and chase, but I prefer it when it's mixed in with some selective puck possession from guys capable of that. We have a few.

Great breakdown. Every point is important but it starts with putting the puck in a position to be retrieved. NHL goalies abilities to handle the puck have taken away a lot of one's options (leading to the rule change) but even so, good goalies and quick D make it harder these days to play a dump and chase style of play. So I prefer to use dump and chase as a tactic (versus a strategy). As part of a package of offensive zone entries. All players need know that the DnC is on and be in position to execute and beat their opponents to the puck.

I like your (and Dire Wolf's) stepwise decomposition and will adopt it when explaining it to my players. In my opinion it complements a 2 - 1 -2 forecheck (which works pretty good at the PW level of play.) Thanks!

barnell

butter knife hockey
Mar 28, 2010
Rochester, NY
Everyone who is moaning about how bad the team is, ask yourself what did you expect? Anyone who convinced themselves that this was a playoff team, or (heaven forbid) a cup contender was fooling themselves.

This was a team of rookies (many in their first games) and young players coming up against a Detroit Red Wings team that has been lauded as the gold standard in the NHL for the past 20 years. Really what did you expect was going to happen?

G: Risto aside from the 1 bad turnover looked very solid. It's going to be fun to watch him as he grows.
Girgs with his 1st NHL goal in his 1 NHL game. Real happy with him.
Psyk looked great.
We didn't get shut-out!

B: PP was awful. You have got to convert on AT LEAST 1 of the 2 on 3s.
Stafford is slowly playing himself off this team.
Its becoming harder and harder to wave the Myers flag. I think a full season under Rolston and out from Ruff will do him well though.

U: PP. PP. A THOUSAND TIMES PP.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
G- Hockeys back. Enjoy the ups and downs, this isn't gonna happen overnight.
- Girgs first goal, kid deserves it.
- I thought Risto looked bad the first half of the game but kind of simmered down towards the end. After his first couple gaffs Rolston didn't bench him, kept throwing him out there which I kind of liked. Kids playin the PK against Dats and Hank, I'd be a little nervous to.
-Most of the kids looked as good as they could against a team whose been playing together since they were in peewee.
B- Not able to generate on the PP, few chances here and there once setup but....they can't get setup, I'd like Hoff and Risto together on the man-up or try Vanek on the half wall, we can't get it to him infront (he had a nice tip or two). But try rotating him around during the Powerplay.
U- Never been a Stafford fan but he just screams plug.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Everyone who is moaning about how bad the team is, ask yourself what did you expect? Anyone who convinced themselves that this was a playoff team, or (heaven forbid) a cup contender was fooling themselves.

This was a team of rookies (many in their first games) and young players coming up against a Detroit Red Wings team that has been lauded as the gold standard in the NHL for the past 20 years. Really what did you expect was going to happen?

I think preseason hockey is to blame for any raised expectations. It's so deceptive to see the young guys win games decisively and consistently in the preseason and then go on to play sub par in the regular season. It forces logic and reason to kick back in again (quality of competition specifically).

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
We could of had Patrick Roy as a coach

According to who? I think it is reasonable to consider that Roy wanted the Avs job given his connection to that franchise.

I would have preferred Eakins or Roy to be sure, but I have seen no quotes to suggest that we could of had them if we wanted them. Presumably a lot of factors go into a HC choosing a team, money being only one of them.

For the record I dont like Ron as a HC. Good guy, but I just dont think he will be able to cut it at the NHL level. But I will be happy to be proven wrong.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Good

-Miller. Coughed up a few rebounds but looked on point.
-Good for Zemgus for getting his first goal. However didn't notice him much otherwise.
-Risto had one bad giveaway but looked pretty good otherwise. Looked solid on the PP.
-Flynn with some pure hustle. Haven't checked the box score yet. Did they give him an assist?
-Ehrhoff saves a goal.

Bad

-Yeah, Vanek looked uninspired. Always like seeing him show emotion when he doesn't bury a goal because it proves he's trying hard. But tonight he looked like he was on autopilot. Lazy.
-Stafford. Not gonna get on him a whole lot in hopes that he'll bounce back. But he was terrible down at both ends of the ice.
-I hate Ennis at center. Creates so much better on the wing. Can't handle the defensive responsibilities.
-Was hoping Myers would charge hard out of the gate but he looked shaky and had some positioning issues.

The Awesome-A fuming and very hostile Patrick Roy.

Watch him closer next time. He was the best Sabre forward last night. Complete 200' game, didnt quit on a play or fail to battle for a puck all night. In short the opposite of Stafford.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
According to who? I think it is reasonable to consider that Roy wanted the Avs job given his connection to that franchise.

I would have preferred Eakins or Roy to be sure, but I have seen no quotes to suggest that we could of had them if we wanted them. Presumably a lot of factors go into a HC choosing a team, money being only one of them.

For the record I dont like Ron as a HC. Good guy, but I just dont think he will be able to cut it at the NHL level. But I will be happy to be proven wrong.

Since I'm embracing the rebuild, I love RR as the head coach right now.

:laugh:

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca

Yup. The glee on his face was palpable. Give space and time to Datsyuk and Co., yes please.

One infamous Buffalo sports quote kept popping in my head as I watched the coaching job for Buffalo last night:

he's not a punt returner he's a punt catcher

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
So what's up with that pp?

Ehrhoff was so deadly on it with Nucks. And in transition game too on ES. To my understanding he hasn't been bad but not as solid as he was with Nucks? Isn't he allowed to play his game or what?

The most glaring issues:

- Poor zone entry
- Not moving feet
- Not moving the puck
- Poor passing

Makes life very bearable for the PK unit.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
G - Christian Ehrhoff was very good and the "kids" played well, with exception of Grigorenko who still needs some work.

B - We are stuck with Drew Stafford, Ville Leino and Myers who I think still looked lost last night.

U - The powerplay was brutal, 2 long 5-3 and notta

No joking at all.

Two compliance buyouts for next off season.

I dont think twice about it.

Unless you can get anything in trade and dont have to give an asset or keep part of the contract to make the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad