Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Kids, The Vets, and the Powerplay

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Vanek looked disinterested and mentally checked out. Espo on XM today thinks we have Vanek the captaincy in an effort to preemptively strike against Vanek pouting. That's a stretch, but Vanek looked a little bit.... Sulky tonight.

I've always thought he looked like that lol. Until you see him droppin f-bombs because he made a mistake

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
The entire team looks like they need to slow down. It's like everybody's working really hard but nobody really knows what they're doing. Overskating, sloppy passing. The reason they look slow is not because of lack of speed but because of lack of puck-control.

The Good:
- The kid line overall, and Girgensons in particular. The dude looks NHL-ready. Covers the puck well, seems to have a cool head and BOY do we need some cool heads out there!
- Tallinder still has some gas left in the tank.
- Ristolainen. There were a couple of brainfarts out there, but in general I think the kid had a good game. He got his shot through on the PP and looked solid in PK.
- PK.

The Bad:
- The start - not scoring on an early 5 on 3, then down 2-0
- The middle - outshot by a lot despite all of those PP:s
- The end - After pulling the goalie, did they ever enter the offensive zone again?
- Porter's skates. The guy was falling down a lot.

The Ugly:
- PP.
- McCormick playing over Larsson.
- Stafford and Leino. I just don't get it. Leino looked like he was trying to catch a wet soap out there and Stafford... I don't know what he was trying to catch.
- Everything.

If Grigorenko and Girgensons didn't look so promising together I would suggest playing Girgensons with Vanek and Hodgson, but hopefully Foligno is back for duty soon. Switch Ennis back to the wing and slot Larsson in between him and Ott.

Foligno - Hodgson - Vanek
Ennis - Larsson - Ott
Girgensons - Grigorenko - Flynn
Three - other - players

Le Messie

Jul 8, 2009
You guys are stuck with Leino for 4 years. Yikes. Clearly one of the most overpaid player in the NHL right now.
I think I preferred having Scott Gomez with the Canadiens ... at least Gomez tried.
Seriously, what is he good at ?

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Vanek looked disinterested and mentally checked out. Espo on XM today thinks we have Vanek the captaincy in an effort to preemptively strike against Vanek pouting. That's a stretch, but Vanek looked a little bit.... Sulky tonight.

How would you feel dragging Staffords sorry ass around out there? :pout:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Let's be serious....

I'm trying, but it's hard.

All right, Vanek looked uninterested, I agree with that, and that is bad because he's a captain now. Still, that's the way he always looks. And that's the thing with Vanek, and I guess that's why he gets bashed on for being lazy - he has a style of playing that, when it doesn't work, makes him look bad. Heck, there are times when he looks just like this and then you check the scoresheet and realize the man has two goals and an assist.

I'm not very worried about Vanek on the ice. Off the ice is another thing. I'd hate to see him walk for nothing, but I don't want to trade him.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
look I'm ok with the **** coach short term because lord knows he won't be around when the team starts to matter

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

All right, Vanek looked uninterested, I agree with that, and that is bad because he's a captain now. Still, that's the way he always looks. And that's the thing with Vanek, and I guess that's why he gets bashed on for being lazy - he has a style of playing that, when it doesn't work, makes him look bad. Heck, there are times when he looks just like this and then you check the scoresheet and realize the man has two goals and an assist.

I'm not very worried about Vanek on the ice. Off the ice is another thing. I'd hate to see him walk for nothing, but I don't want to trade him.

I simply mean that Stafford's suck had nothing to do with Vanek's. I know how Vanek looks normally- he can come across as nonchalant or something of the sort. He was way worse than that tonight. We all know it.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

I agree with pretty much everything you said in this post and thread, which is weird because I usually disagree with most.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I simply mean that Stafford's suck had nothing to do with Vanek's. I know how Vanek looks normally- he can come across as nonchalant or something of the sort. He was way worse than that tonight. We all know it.

He had a bad night, like most of the team. I'm not reading very much into it.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Can't say Vanek was bad at all, and we don't know what his role/responsibilities are in the new system. Lord knows when the last time we played Detroit was, not like its a familiar matchup. Way too soon for doom, gloom and scapegoating.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Can't say Vanek was bad at all, and we don't know what his role/responsibilities are in the new system. Lord knows when the last time we played Detroit was, not like its a familiar matchup. Way too soon for doom, gloom and scapegoating.

Vanek is good with the puck. He didn't get much puck. Wether it's because of lack of effort from him or because of teammates, no puck makes Vanek a bad panda. :)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

Again... Nobody is scapegoating, blaming the game on Vanek and declaring a season with imminent offensive impotency because of how he played tonight.

My observation was simply that he played poorly.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Im so tired of seeing Stafford's face. Ruins this season for me. Trade the guy for a hockey puck, no need for a bag of them.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
many people criticize Vanek, "a CAptain must that and that"...sorry but Play Ott the last Game? I don't see him something do right and for the Team, except turnovers yes that i see and bad passes do the opponent!!

Vanek was the only man they was dangerous in PP for that Team yesterday..one post shot, one nice pass to Hodgson/wen he score all wright here-"Sick Vanek Pass"....)

Yes Vanek and all other play bad thats right but Vanek has blasted no teammates with the same Level!!!Stafford don't know what he must do with the Puck ,on the Face Off Hodgson-Ott are so horrible....

FanboySlayer*

We could have had Brian Burke as our GM. When he took over the Leafs they literally had nothing, Leaf fans cried when he traded away first round picks. Look at the Leafs now, leaving us in the dust.

Not cleaning the entire organization out when Ruff was canned was unexplainable, not one other franchise owner would have kept Regier.

Not only do we still have Regier, we've picked up a clone as our coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad