Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Kids, The Vets, and the Powerplay

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good -

- The Kid Line got some zone time and didn't look completely out of place in their own zone.
- Girgensons with his first off a hustle play from Flynn.
- Flynn giving it up all over the ice -- hustle play to get the goal, blocking shots on the PK.
- Ristolainen on the PP and SH. Even strength there are some rough spots, but the kid looks pretty good given his age and position.
- Ehrhoff. Saving a goal, nearly creating some others.

The Bad -

- PP execution by the top unit is still ****.
- Stafford and Vanek were slumbering. Reach, reach, reach for Stafford. Vanek? Nappin' other than one pipe ringer.
- Ennis passing on the 5-on-3's. Hit some tape Tyler.
- Leino was weak.
- Generally schooled at the dot again.

The Ugly -

- Did I mention the **** PP?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I'll keep it simple:

G: Girgensons, Pysyk, Ristolainen (except for the turnover), and Jesus Datsyuk

B: Stafford and Leino, Vanek looking rather lazy

U: Take a guess.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Good

Zemgus Girgensons hustling and rewarded with a goal in his first game
Ryan Miller besides one puck that was sitting in the crease was sharp

Meh

Ehrhoff
Flynn

Bad

Pretty much everyone else, rough game and pretty much dominated in terms of possession time.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The Good -

- The Kid Line got some zone time and didn't look completely out of place in their own zone.
- Flynn giving it up all over the ice -- hustle play to get the goal, blocking shots on the PK.
- Ristolainen on the PP and SH. Even strength there are some rough spots, but the kid looks pretty good given his age and position.

The Bad -

- Stafford and Vanek were slumbering. Reach, reach, reach for Stafford. Vanek? Nappin' other than one pipe ringer.
- Leino was weak.

The Ugly -

Agree.

I'd add Miller as best player on the ice.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If we finish better than 25th on the PP, I'll be surprised. Still way too much standing.

Still the worst passing team in the NHL.

Is it bad that I was pleasantly surprised that we were only outshot by 14 shots. Then I remembered Detroit was up by 2 for 52 minutes.

UFA-to-be Miller playing for the Olympics? Goodbye top-5 pick. :cry:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The Good -

The Bad -

- Leino was weak.

The Ugly -

No. Please tell us again :sarcasm:

seriously. AWFUL PP

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Miller has to be in the Good. He struggled with rebounds early, but settled down and had a great game.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
Wow, that powerplay.

UFA-to-be Miller playing for the Olympics? Goodbye top-5 pick. :cry:

Moral question here, do we hope for some sort of completely recoverable injury that will put him on IR until near the trade deadline? :help:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Paul Hamilton thought Flynn sucked. :laugh:

Probably not the only time he and I will not see eye-to-eye this season. :biglaugh: Without his hustle play, there is no goal. Hell, without his hustle play most of the night there is damned little hustle play from anyone out there. :laugh:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
B : If Stafford and Leino didn't jump out you in the past, they REALLY stand out now with the effort of everyone else on the ice. I know it's one game, but if they don't straighten up I hope Ron Ron sends them to the press box.

Game one of the rebuild. Could have been worse. Saw some good things.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Good:
Hoff
Pysyk
GGF

Bad:
Everything else

Ugly:
Stafford doesn't do anything well enough to be a top line forward. Get him back to being sheltered.

Awful power play everything. Hodgson and Ennis are too much flash, not enough anything to be the puckhandlers on the first unit, and moving Ennis down a line matches him up against worse people while giving him a little more freedom.

Rolston's lack of adjustments. Doesn't have to be anything permanent, but things were not working and nobody was being held accountable. What happened to the "basement of leadership" bruh bruh?

Leino should be shot into space.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Miller has to be in the Good. He struggled with rebounds early, but settled down and had a great game.

Yes, Miller was good tonight. The deflection by Samuelsson was a thing of beauty by the Wings and leaving a guy like Dats free in the mid-slot is criminal defensive coverage.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
A few random thoughts...

Vanek is counting the days until he is not a Sabre.

The fact that Stafford is still around is an embarrassment to the organization.

Myers' stock value remains low...

Zemgus got his first NHL goals so good for him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
B : If Stafford and Leino didn't jump out you in the past, they REALLY stand out now with the effort of everyone else on the ice. I know it's one game, but if they don't straighten up I hope Ron Ron sends them to the press box.

Game one of the rebuild. Could have been worse. Saw some good things.

The statement could easily be putting Stafford in the pressbox for the next game and putting Larsson into the lineup to replace him. Of the two, I thought Stafford was worse than Leino and should be the one to sit.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Whoever got scolded about Stafford in the GDT thread....hey, now is your chance....

He was the worst player on the ice. Period.

It was his forechecking that got the puck to Vanek ringer off crossbar.

We lost this game on the PP. 5-3s and nothing and some PPs almost nothing happened. Team creates more even strength. It's weird. Just like last year.

I actually thought we won some key face offs. More than usual.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Probably not the only time he and I will not see eye-to-eye this season. :biglaugh: Without his hustle play, there is no goal. Hell, without his hustle play most of the night there is damned little hustle play from anyone out there. :laugh:

In the battle between Chain and Hamilton, I'll take Chain's analysis every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

He can carry his club hockey HoF membership around all he wants. Chain knows his crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad