Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Kids Come Through

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'd absolutely love to know who said what to spark this team tonight. They played a completely different game(albeit getting out-shot badly)...everyone at some point had some kind of jump in their step that hadnt been there prior except maybe ennis...they were entertaining despite being dangerously out shot...if we are gonna scrape this bucket this is how to do it....

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
I thought the youngsters did a good job. Veterans not so much.

Good goaltending gets rewarded. Imagine that!

All in all, I thought it was a pretty boring, sloppy game.
I guess you had to expect that looking at both their horrible records, but still.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
They were really having some fun at Buffalo's expense in the 1st period. Given the organization for whom they work, it was pretty funny.

I know the record sucks, but I don't understand the general loathing of the Sabres in the hockey press. HNIC in Canada, during their talking heads segment this past Saturday for the Flames/San Jose match were just tearing the franchise a new one, largely because Buffalo's level of suckitude did not have the same level of compete that Calgary has, Regier has squandered Pegula's kajillions trying to corner the market on the Ville Leinos of the world, and that finally, Ron Rolston is simply not Bob Hartley.

Its as if the media has decided that wealthy owners are simply not allowed to rebuild hockey clubs and any attempt to do so is a mark of catastrophic failure and a source of endless ridicule. I don't get it.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
It was while he was breaking down a replay where 3 Sabres chased the puck in the corner of our end. It was an ugly play but the commentary was over the top. Hard to stomach that after listening to the NBCSN guys rake us over the coals Wednesday. Win felt good. A few more and maybe we won't have to endure the ridicule as much.

If I were the announcer, I would just focus more on the positive things the Panthers were doing and less on ragging Buffalo.

Well see, the problem with that is....

:laugh:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I know the record sucks, but I don't understand the general loathing of the Sabres in the hockey press. HNIC in Canada, during their talking heads segment this past Saturday for the Flames/San Jose match were just tearing the franchise a new one, largely because Buffalo's level of suckitude did not have the same level of compete that Calgary has, Regier has squandered Pegula's kajillions trying to corner the market on the Ville Leinos of the world, and that finally, Ron Rolston is simply not Bob Hartley.

Its as if the media has decided that wealthy owners are simply not allowed to rebuild hockey clubs and any attempt to do so is a mark of catastrophic failure and a source of endless ridicule. I don't get it.

The narrative has been set.

The story is being created.

Entertainment has replaced journalism.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The Sabres were not good tonight. They got a few breaks and won, which has not been the case for much of this year. Florida is a bad team and, I think, missing some guys. Yet we were dominated for large stretches. Again.
Maybe you build off a w like this, I don't know. What's bad is our high paid guys didn't do much.
I think Leino ad Tropp coming back will be a boost but this team is awful this year. I'm still not sure why.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
If there's one positive to be drawn from the season so far its that Marcus Foligno is capable of playing center. I'm very keen to see how he develops at that position.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
G:
- I don't know what took so long, but the kids were finally given roles/ice time and look what happens... Zadorov was great again, Risto looked solid, Girgs earned every bit of his icetime, Grigs looked dangerous with legitimate linemates, and I love Larsson more and more every game. Even though they deserved to lose based on shots, losses like that will be easier to take when the young guys are playing and clearly getting better.
- Enroth was incredible. Hard to imagine him maintaining a full load but he certainly seems ready for a 1A/1B situation.
- Myers another good game

B:
- The shots, obviously. Can't get outshot by 24/have your shot total more than doubled, especially against Florida.
- Seven D. Would rather have Porter on the 4th line than McBain as a 7.
- Vanek and most of the vets... seems to be the common theme to pile on the guys who've been here and support the new guys, but I can't be convinced they didn't deserve to play more than Vanek tonight.

U:
- The tank and stuff.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
g- the rookies, Enroth, Vanek still involved in half our offense and he blocked a shot.

b- Ott being a dirty pest, Hodgson padding the score sheet after being a detriment most of the game, McCormick getting in fights with his concussion history

u- Sabres deserve the reputation of being a dirty team

Really was interesting to see how much better the team played without Scott, Kaleta and Weber. Hope it starts a trend of keeping those guys off the ice.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
The Good: Big Z on D.

You can have Myers. I'll take Z. I love this kid.

Loved Marcus looking like the old Marcus laying down the law after Ott's goal.

Girgs is just getting better and better each game. He is another hit. We need many more like him. Grigs? Meh.

The Ugly: Once the team decided to actually play hockey, mostly in the 3rd period, we were the better team and looked like NOTHING we have shown for the bulk of this season. What is up with that? Do they all already hate Rolston or what?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
g- the rookies, Enroth, Vanek still involved in half our offense and he blocked a shot.

b- Ott being a dirty pest, Hodgson padding the score sheet after being a detriment most of the game, McCormick getting in fights with his concussion history

u- Sabres deserve the reputation of being a dirty team

Really was interesting to see how much better the team played without Scott, Kaleta and Weber. Hope it starts a trend of keeping those guys off the ice.

Well aren't you a dose of sunshine....

horrible post.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
G:
-Enroth has been spectacular for us this year as well as Miller. Not worried when I see Jhonas in there anymore.
-Girgensons seems to be getting better every game, was worried that his development would be stunted playing for this team but I think this the best place for him to improve.
-Zadorov is a stud, give him 9 games then let him go play WJC and the Memorial Cup then never look back.
-Ristolainen and Pysyk are two cool customers, I want to see Pysyk wear a letter here sometime in his career.
-Grigorenko skating faster and stronger, he really looked capable tonight.
-Foligno, Myers, McCormick
-The fact that Grigs, Girgs, Risto, Zads, Myers and Foligno are in the good

B:
-Why does it seem like Vanek/Hodgson only play well for a few shifts per game? they're putting up points but not competing hard/smart enough for the full 60 minutes. Like Lindy used to say; your best players have to be your best players.
-Ennis and Stafford have lost their mojo. Confidence is a terrible thing to lose. Thought Ennis looked good with Girgensons though.

U:
-the rest of this season

FanboySlayer*

G:
Give Jhonas a bhonus tonight
Niki 'I love play hockey' Zadorov, hockey loves you back
Grigorenko playing with better linemates and looking better himself
The rest of the kids, Ristolainen's first NHL goal
Myers and Zadorov tandem, the beginning of something special
I hope.​

B:
A win against another bottom feeder that we didn't deserve to win
Princess Cody's usual game, gets a point, happy, touches nobody
Ennis, just isn't getting anything done​

U: Nothing ugly really.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
easily the most "feel good" aspect of the game... even better than winning, honestly

And again, more reason I tend to side with Jame. He has been the most ardent rebuild supporter on this forum and he has pinpointed which guys especially would excel. He plays devil advocate here and there but I'm starting to think he really get's the big picture. Let's TANK and drop Miller and Vanek for assets. We need to capitalize while the young guys are developing NOW

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Definitely some positives to take from this game but let's all remember we were playing the panthers. They're just as awful as us.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Definitely some positives to take from this game but let's all remember we were playing the panthers. They're just as awful as us.

Yes, but in the 3rd period, we put them away like we were the superior team. The 3rd was nearly as lopsided in favor of us as the 1st was for Florida.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
If there's one positive to be drawn from the season so far its that Marcus Foligno is capable of playing center. I'm very keen to see how he develops at that position.

Imagine rolling a Girgensons-Foligno-Tropp checking line? A few years from now we could have

Possler-Hodgson-Armia
Larsson-Grigorenko-Compher
Girgensons-Foligno-Tropp
Baptiste-Catenacci-Bailey

(this of course just building from current contracted players)

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
“I’m really happy here,†said Zadorov, selected 16th overall in this year’s draft. “I want to stay here all my life.â€

We want you to stay here too Baby Z :)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
The youngsters playing so well was far and away the best aspect. Even if we didn't pull it out, I'm leaving this game with a smile. Even better we won because of the guys 23-and under. Awesome.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Draws:

McCormick: 4 of 7 (57%)
Ott: 2 of 4 (50%)
Hodgson: 6 of 13 (46%)
Larsson: 5 of 12 (42%)
Philleanough: 8 of 14 (57%)
Grigs: 0 for 3

ToI:
Myers: 21:52
Ehrhoff: 20:19
NZ: 20:03
Pysyk: 18:52
McBain: 15:38
RR: 15:20

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Goaltending has been unreal this year. Fun watching the young players get ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad