Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Kids Come Through

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good -

- Enroth was excellent.
- Zadorov looks very good, especially opposite Myers.
- Risto's first goal and a pretty good game.
- Foligno finishing everybody, even Versteeg on the 2nd goal.
- The full "new" broadcasting team seems pretty solid.
- Grigorenko's best game as an NHLer.
- Zemgus leading in ToI.

Bad -

- Widely outplayed for the first 30 minutes. Again.
- How the Panthers must be feeling right now.

Ugly -

- The shots on goal/at goal differential is just outlandish.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
G: Enroth, Physical play, the kids, the new broadcast crew, everything new is so shiny
B: Zadorov, he was a bad, bad man out there. :) The first two periods.
U: All those empty seats.

I'm really liking the idea of the twin towers playing another game together.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Zadorov got 7:42 icetime in that 3rd period, paired with Myers (7:50).

Zemgus got leaned on all game.

That Zadorov-Myers pairing could be something special. I think many people thought that...just thought it would be several years down the road. I want to see Rolston keep them together.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
G-
Zadorov
Grigorenko looked better
Congrats to Ristolainen for his first
May is a nice addition on the broadcast team
Enroth was solid
Nice deflection by Ott

B-
Ennis was forgettable
Shots against

U-
Milbury

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Good:

-All of the teenagers played the best games of their years. Zemgus was all over the place. Grigorenko looked real dangerous all night, hitting a post and just missing a couple of sticks. Risto was flat-out solid and Zadorov went beast (and took Myers with him, apparently...that pair was lights-out in the 2nd half).
-Enroth. Solid positioning. No rebounds. Great night
-Foligno. Whatever he did pregame, he needs to do it again. Someone pissed in his Wheaties and it showed.

Bad
-Another injury
-Vanek was MIA
-Hodgson was meh

Ugly
-First period effort again. Looks like that wasn't a Ruff issue.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Myers is much more physical this year.

So impressed with him this year...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Good:

-All of the teenagers played the best games of their years. Zemgus was all over the place. Grigorenko looked real dangerous all night, hitting a post and just missing a couple of sticks. Risto was flat-out solid and Zadorov went beast (and took Myers with him, apparently...that pair was lights-out in the 2nd half).
-Foligno. Whatever he did pregame, he needs to do it again. Someone pissed in his Wheaties and it showed.

Bad
-Another injury
-Vanek was MIA
-Hodgson was meh

Ugly

easily the most "feel good" aspect of the game... even better than winning, honestly

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Good:

Bad
-Another injury
-Vanek was MIA
-Hodgson was meh

Ugly

I thought the Second period was the WTF period under Ruff?

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
G-
Zadorov
Grigorenko looked better
Congrats to Ristolainen for his first
May is a nice addition on the broadcast team
Enroth was solid
Nice deflection by Ott

B-
Ennis was forgettable
Shots against

U-
Milbury

I agree and was going to bring up Ennis. Man, what has happened with him? Just flat out awful this season.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Lost in all the fun here is the "other" kid.

Larsson has put together quite a few solid performances. He seems like he's gonna be the glue guy--just does his thing in the background and let the other guys shine. Consistent, solid play that allows his teammates to get the spotlight.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Agreed. Now they need to develop and work on bringing that game (or better -- see the term develop) on a more consistent basis.

It's there. Ohhhh man is it there.

id like to quietly acknowledge that McCormick had a great game... deserves to be recognized... since most of the vets were passengers tonight

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Myers is much more physical this year.

So impressed with him this year...

I think he's finally found that balance we've been calling for. He's been MUCH steadier. Still has a few WTF moments here and there, but all in all, he's been much better.

Look thru the prior GDT's from the beginning of the season sometime. Myers has been pretty bad too. Tonight he was good.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I agree and was going to bring up Ennis. Man, what has happened with him? Just flat out awful this season.

I was close to putting him in my ugly category, but he did some good things at times.

I can't put my finger on his issue though. He doesn't LOOK much different, doesn't look injured or slowed or anything.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Did Grigs play most of the game on wing or center? He sure seemed to spend a lot of time rushing down the right side.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
id like to quietly acknowledge that McCormick had a great game... deserves to be recognized... since most of the vets were passengers tonight

Larsson and Foligno too, and they're youngsters.

Vanek/Hodgson/Ennis/Stafford all need to be more engaged. They were disconnected tonight.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Yes. McCormick battled in front of the net on the first goal and made the check that took the puck from Florida on the EN goal. Lots of battle.

KeepCalmandCorsiOn

Jun 30, 2013
Enroth was stellar. Like I said in the GDT, keep playing him. One goal on 45 shots, and Miller, as good as he's been, still gives up more goals on less shots.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Look thru the prior GDT's from the beginning of the season sometime. Myers has been pretty bad too. Tonight he was good.

Myers was GREAT in preseason.

He struggled the first ~5 games of the regular season.

Since then he's slowly brought it back together. Every game his confidence is improving, and he always plays his best hockey when he is confident and active in the play. I think he understands he doesn't have to take over a game--and that is actually what's going to allow him to do that moving forward.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Agreed that he's had his down games........but in general I feel as though he's been much better than last season.

And I think some of the general thought is more "target on the back" type thinking and extreme nitpicking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->