Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Kids Come Through

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm traveling, so did not see game. Watched NHL.com highlights, then read this GBU.

Only Stop Winnin mentioned McBain's poor play. I agree.

1. 1st GA on the 3-on-2 I felt he could have been more aggressive / committed, though admittedly not sure it would have prevented a goal.
2. Looked non-challant skating (forwards) into his defensive zone with a Panther ahead of him, and one stride-by-stride with him, (and another panther on the left attacking wing with the puck marked by McBain's D-partner).
3. Even on RR's goal, his positioning, etc., seemed a non-factor.

Just snippets from only 1 game, in which BUF was outplayed.
And I (like Jame and certain others) are perfectly accepting of oodles of losses this season. We know BUF is committed to the kids - Larsson, Grigs, Girgs, Risto, Zadarov, Foligno, Tropp. But McBain is a little different. He's in that group of Sabres who are a few years older whom BUF needs determine if they are part of the team when they come out of the rebuild. Plenty of time to evaluate, and I've personally only seen a few games, but I've not seen anything worthwhile from him yet. And on a team this bad that's not good.

Am I off base?

Last edited:

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Not amazed by McBain but he does shoot the puck at the right times. Not the best defensemen but that is not a surprise to me. I thought he was really sort of a reclamation throw in on the Compher pick. Don't think he will ever be one of our top 4 but could be a 5,6 guy and stick around. We need those too. Trade him if the deal is good or he gets pushed out of a spot. Hold him if he can contribute.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Hodgson, despite leading us in points, has been a disappointment IMO. He lacks the battle necessary to be a number one center. The frustrating part is that seems to be the only thing standing in his way.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
McBain generates just enough that he's basically a wash out there when you compare him to, say, Weber and Tallinder, and he's certainly better than Sulzer. Nothing wrong with that in a depth defenseman. Zadorov and Ristolainen already are as good of PP options as he is though, then there are Ehrhoff and Myers, so I can't see him being here next season.

Here's my ugly: I can't even enjoy mocking Rob Ray anymore. He just makes me grind my teeth. The guy sounds more like the ex-boxer in Death to Smoochie than he does someone paid to communicate on television. I'd have no problem with putting him back in his original role of between-the-glass guy who chimes in a few times a period and contributes during intermissions, but the Sabres need a legitimate color guy to class up the broadcast.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Hodgson, despite leading us in points, has been a disappointment IMO. He lacks the battle necessary to be a number one center. The frustrating part is that seems to be the only thing standing in his way.

Not that this alleviates criticism as it's accurate, but did anyone think he'd ever be #1 center material? It's not really his fault he is thrust into that role, but he needs to be better regardless.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Not that this alleviates criticism as it's accurate, but did anyone think he'd ever be #1 center material? It's not really his fault he is thrust into that role, but he needs to be better regardless.

In a system like Boston with a 1A/B I absolutely think he could, but I don't think he could be a #1 that carries a team like a Getzlaf.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
G: Liked the rotating of the forwards. This team has no chemistry and it was the first good idea I see Rolston have(dressing 8 forwards)
Zadorov - does he stay?
B - Grigs - best game yet just can´t seem to put it together with points
U - Gudbranson on McCormick when he was just trying to get the rookie the puck

If you watch the replay I actually think he was trying to score. I think he didnt see it cross the line while he was tied up with the panther player and saw it lying along the goal line. The speed and tenacity of him trying to get at that puck seems much more in line with trying to knock it in.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Many of us have been asking for that for a while. Less defensive responsibility and more focus on offense.

He was all over the place, though.

He played well, but when playing wing, he was constantly in the middle of the ice and not on his side. The first shift of the game when he had almost a two minute shift, he and coho were both basically playing center at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad