• Tyler Kleven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryan O'Rourke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
If Askarov is 5-7 years out is that significant compared to the level of forward at d typically available at 14? Heck, if Pulju makes it this season it’ll be his draft +4, and he was (nearly) a consensus top 3.

Here’s the players picked at 14 dating back to ‘05 and how many years it took them to make the bigs (I used 50 games as “making it”—subjective, I know):

2005 Pokulok - bust
2006 Grabner -4 years
2007 Shattenkirk - 5 years
2008 Boychuk - bust
2009 Kulikov - draft year
2010 Schwartz -4 years
2011 Oleksiak - 7 years
2012 Girgensens - 2 years
2013 Morrisey - 4 years
2014 Honka - hasn’t made it in 6 years
2015 DeBrusk - 3 years
2016 McAvoy - 3 years
2017 Foote - hasn’t made it in first 3 post-draft seasons
2018 Farabee - 2 years

More players than not took >/= 4 years to make bigs. If Oilers draft Askarov and he takes 5 is that really a big deal?

For comparison, here’s the tendies drafted top 15 since ‘05:

2019 Knight (14th) it’s early
2012 Vasilevskiy (*19th)- 5 years
2010 Campbell (11th) - 9 years
2006 Bernier (11th) - 8 years
2005 Price (5th) - 3 years

So there is risk Askarov (should he make it) takes >5 years, but 3/5 goalies listed above are premier to franchise level talents and the early returns on Knight are promising. Both Vasilevskiy and Price would go first OA in redrafts. When a team could nab a top 5 equivalent, franchise-altering tender at 14th OA—gotta be hard to pass.

Probably moot.
So if the Oilers moved back to 16 they could expect a player to arrive earlier than the same player drafted at 14 because of Chychrun, Barzal, Zadorov and Wilson? Also, Morrisey didn't go 14th, McAvoy made the NHL in his D+2 and Shattenkirk made it in his D+4\

Also, Vasilevskiy only has a chance to go first in 2012 because 2012 was f***ing awful. He doesn't stand a chance in any other draft since 2004

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'm with Zaddy on this. There's going to be a good forward on the board at #14 so take the best forward available unless somehow Sanderson slides. A top forward gets this team closer to winning sooner. I like Askarov and think he's going to be a top end starter but he's going to take several years and he's had mixed results in big games. As we've seen top goalies can still blow it in the first round and their team gets knocked out of the playoffs. That makes me question the sense of using the #14 pick on Askarov especially when they have a need for top 6 forwards and this draft is stocked with forwards with top 6 potential.

Khudobin wasn't a bonafide #1 and he's in the Finals. Lehner was acquired at the deadline. Markstrom is more of a 1A. More teams are moving towards a goalie tandem and teams are having success with it. Yes there are still teams with clear #1 goalies but how many goalies are top goalies for more than 3 or 4 years? Not many, so expending a 1st round pick on Askarov to me is questionable because it's not like he's going to be a silver bullet that guarantees success. I'm not saying he won't be successful but we shouldn't assume that's what he will provide by drafting him and that we'll just have to wait 4 or 5 years for him to arrive.

Reactions: Aerchon and Zaddy

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I literally already showed forwards picked in the #13-15 range from 2018 and back to 2014. You can include 2013 and 2012 there too if you want with Wennberg in 2013 who played 68 games in his draft +2 year and Girgenson in 2012 who played 70 games in his draft +2 year too. That's 7 years in a row where you got an NHLer at #14 or the surrounding two picks if a forward was not selected at #14. It's not a guarantee that it will happen again this year, but it's a pretty decent track record at this point showing that you're fairly likely to get a good player there who plays within 2-3 years.

Guys like Girgensons and Wennberg don’t do anything for me. Outside of the one year that Wennberg had that now looks like a huge outlier you’re basically getting Alex Chiasson level production from them. You can pick up depth guys like that in free agency for nothing every year. Just because they’re in the NHL in 2-3 years in a bottom 6 role and barely producing doesn’t really mean much to me.

You didn't answer my question. What do you suggest the Oilers do to complement their forward group? You have to pay a premium if you're gonna complement it through free agency, and few teams are willing to part with their top6 forwards through trade. So what's your solution? I'll take my chances of finding a goalie in free agency. Dallas tandem Bishop and Khudobin were both FA's. Isles tandem Greiss and Varlamov were both FA's. Vegas starter Lehner was an FA signing. 3 out of the 4 final teams in the playoffs this season had FA signings as their #1 goalie. None of them cost that much either.

Again if it was so easy to get a free agent goalie how come we haven’t seen one here for years? I don’t think the forward group is as bad as you’re making it out to be, if they could pick up a decent third line center like Haula that’d go a long ways. For now though, buy low on reclamation projects. I’d be all over seeing what it would take to get Galchenyuk here for a one year deal if they decide to move on from AA. He’s got his warts but he’s shown high end skill and the ability to finish in the past, I could definitely see him clicking with one of our top Cs.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Goalies just worry me because a guy like Vasilevsky is looked at as basically the best case scenario.

No NHL games until his D+3 year. Not a starter until his D+5 year and final year of his ELC. Tampa was super lucky they signed him to a three year bridge instead of two since I think it's fair to say most bridges are just two years and they would have ended up with just three years of him as a starter until he got an absolute albatross of a contract.

Sure, you're getting a good goalie, but you won't come close to seeing the same value as a contributing forward on an ELC.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Guys like Girgensons and Wennberg don’t do anything for me. Outside of the one year that Wennberg had that now looks like a huge outlier you’re basically getting Alex Chiasson level production from them. You can pick up depth guys like that in free agency for nothing every year. Just because they’re in the NHL in 2-3 years in a bottom 6 role and barely producing doesn’t really mean much to me.

Girgensons doesn't do anything for me either but Wennberg had 40 points in his 2nd year and 59 points in his 3rd year. I'd for sure welcome that kind of production on the Oilers from a player in year 2 and 3 on his ELC. Larkin had 45, 32 and 63 points on his ELC. DeBrusk 43, 42 (27 goals that year) and 35 points. Kunin hasn't done a lot on his ELC but at least contributed 15 goals on his final year. Suzuki 41 points and played #1C for the Habs in his first year of his ELC.

Again if it was so easy to get a free agent goalie how come we haven’t seen one here for years? I don’t think the forward group is as bad as you’re making it out to be, if they could pick up a decent third line center like Haula that’d go a long ways. For now though, buy low on reclamation projects. I’d be all over seeing what it would take to get Galchenyuk here for a one year deal if they decide to move on from AA. He’s got his warts but he’s shown high end skill and the ability to finish in the past, I could definitely see him clicking with one of our top Cs.

Well for starters the Oilers have had historically bad management over the past decade so that's probably a big part of the reason. Maybe the question should be: why is it that every other team seem to be able to pick up these guys for free and not the Oilers? The hope obviously is that Ken Holland is an actual good GM that would be able to do what most other GM's in the league are able to and find a goalie through trade or FA as well.

I mean, I already mentioned Vegas, Dallas and Isles but Vancouver picked up Markström while getting rid of Luongo's albatross contract and Colorado's tandem were Grubauer (who they picked up in exchange for a 2nd round pick) and Francouz (a FA signing out of the KHL). So pretty much every team in the league seems to be able to do it.

And I completely disagree with you on the forward group. McDavid and Draisaitl might be the two best players in the league and are winning games on their own pretty much, but I'm not sure how sustainable that model is. Draisaitl ranked #1 in ice time among forwards in the NHL this year, McDavid was 3rd. The year before that McDavid was #1 in ice time, Draisaitl #2. We're playing these guys to exhaustion. Why? Because our forward group sucks.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I think there's too much focus on the #14 pick here. In most drafts once you get to the 14th pick lots of teams are making safer picks in that range because that's who's left. In the case of forwards those are guys who are projected to be safe bets to be middle 6 guys. Often the forwards with more top line potential but who are bigger risks tend to drop further because of flaws that scare teams off. This draft has a lot of guys with top line/top 6 potential that have higher floors IMO so it's a good bet that this draft class is going to have a higher proportion of higher producing forwards.

So using investment as an analogy this is when you should invest in forwards. If the draft breaks the exact wrong way for the Oilers with picks #1-13 then see if you can trade down. If the Oilers traded down with New Jersey or Ottawa for example and drafted Mysak and Perreault that would be a pretty decent consolation prize with the potential to pay big dividends. Now that being said if the Oilers traded down I'd fully expect them to M.A. Pouliot the picks but the premise is a good one.

Reactions: JuanDerwall

Hoparazzi

May 11, 2019
So if the Oilers moved back to 16 they could expect a player to arrive earlier than the same player drafted at 14 because of Chychrun, Barzal, Zadorov and Wilson? Also, Morrisey didn't go 14th, McAvoy made the NHL in his D+2 and Shattenkirk made it in his D+4\

Also, Vasilevskiy only has a chance to go first in 2012 because 2012 was f***ing awful. He doesn't stand a chance in any other draft since 2004
Not what I’m saying at all. But you’re also cherry-picking names. Do the work. Go back and look at all players drafted 16th OA from ‘05 to today. How many made the NHL within three years? Did more forwards than not take >/= 4 years? All I was saying is that maybe there isn’t much difference between how long it takes the typical forward drafted in that range then the rare (and high-end) goalies we’ve seen drafted so early in the last 15 years.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Not what I’m saying at all. But you’re also cherry-picking names. Do the work. Go back and look at all players drafted 16th OA from ‘05 to today. How many made the NHL within three years? Did more forwards than not take >/= 4 years? All I was saying is that maybe there isn’t much difference between how long it takes the typical forward drafted in that range then the rare (and high-end) goalies we’ve seen drafted so early in the last 15 years.
How much of that has to do with dumb teams drafting bad players? People like to do these draft retrospectives but then they ignore that teams love to take the McIlraths and Sensyshyns of the world over the more highly touted Fowlers and Barzals.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Goalies just worry me because a guy like Vasilevsky is looked at as basically the best case scenario.

No NHL games until his D+3 year. Not a starter until his D+5 year and final year of his ELC. Tampa was super lucky they signed him to a three year bridge instead of two since I think it's fair to say most bridges are just two years and they would have ended up with just three years of him as a starter until he got an absolute albatross of a contract.

Sure, you're getting a good goalie, but you won't come close to seeing the same value as a contributing forward on an ELC.

Vasilevsky is the base case scenario which is why it's useful to benchmark Askarov to him (the NHL elite of a strong Russian pipeline of NHL goalies over the past decade). First a correction, Vasilevsky played both NHL regular season and playoff games at his 20 year age, not draft+3.

Askarov's development success is along the same trajectory playing well above his age including professional games against men in the VHL and KHL one-year before being NHL draft eligible.

At age 16, Askarov was the only starter under the age of 17 in the MHL with a .921 sv%. In the MHL’s 11-year existence Askarov was the only goalie to start 30+ games in a season at under 17.

Professional League Competition:
At 17-year-old Askarov was the youngest goalie in VHL history to appear in more than nine games and also finished with a 12-3-3 mark. He posed a .920 save percentage and let in 2.45 GAA per game. Askarov was named VHL Prospect of the Week for the month of November. He is the only goalie under the age of 18 in the leagues history to play more than 10 games at that level.

In Askarov’s one KHL start, he only allowed two goals against and .920 save percentage becoming the youngest overall of four 17 year old goalies to suit up in the KHL (notable others: Ilya Sorokin and Ilya Samsonov). Of note this is the second best professional league in the world which Askarov has now graduated to in his NHL draft eligible year.

International Tournament Play:
Askarov played at a high level in 4/6 of the international tournaments he has taken part in over the last two years including best goalie in the WHC-17, the WJC-18, the WJAC-19 and the 2019 Hlinka. In the 2018 Hlinka he also played well. The outlier was a below expectation 2020 World Juniors where he was the youngest goaltender in the tournament.

Now if you can get a player with this level of elite potential and a track record of success in professional leagues and in world peer competition in mid first round, it is a qualified risk well worth taking. And no, I don't expect the Oilers to take him - this franchise has sewered the best drafting position of the past decade so there are many holes that need to be filled in a pretty mediocre pipeline. But Askarov has the pedigree and body of work to overcome the Russian and positional bias that knock him to likely be available pick 10-14. His results compare favourable to Vasilevsky who faced down the doubters previously.

General rule, don't take goalies in the first round. There are exceptions and this tender is one of them. A team with a better prospect pipelines and possibly more than one first round pick will likely pick this player thereby hedging some of the risk. Too bad, pick right and prospectively solve a long standing positional issue for a decade.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Vasilevsky is the base case scenario which is why it's useful to benchmark Askarov to him (the NHL elite of a strong Russian pipeline of NHL goalies over the past decade). First a correction, Vasilevsky played both NHL regular season and playoff games at his 20 year age, not draft+3.

Askarov's development success is along the same trajectory playing well above his age including professional games against men in the VHL and KHL one-year before being NHL draft eligible.

At age 16, Askarov was the only starter under the age of 17 in the MHL with a .921 sv%. In the MHL’s 11-year existence Askarov was the only goalie to start 30+ games in a season at under 17.

At 17-year-old Askarov was the youngest goalie in VHL history to appear in more than nine games and also finished with a 12-3-3 mark. He posed a .920 save percentage and let in 2.45 GAA per game. Askarov was named VHL Prospect of the Week for the month of November. He is the only goalie under the age of 18 in the leagues history to play more than 10 games at that level.

In Askarov’s one KHL start, he only allowed two goals against and .920 save percentage becoming the youngest overall of four 17 year old goalies to suit up in the KHL (notable others: Ilya Sorokin and Ilya Samsonov). Of note this is the second best professional league in the world which Askarov has now graduated to in his NHL draft eligible year.

Askarov played at a high level in 4/6 of the international tournaments he has taken part in over the last two years including best goalie in the WHC-17, the WJC-18, the WJAC-19 and the 2019 Hlinka. In the 2018 Hlinka he also played well. The outlier was a below expectation 2020 World Juniors where he was the youngest goaltender in the tournament.

Now if you can get a player with this level of elite potential and a track record of success in professional leagues and in world peer competition in mid first round, it is a qualified risk well worth taking. And no, I don't expect the Oilers to take him - this franchise has sewered the best drafting position of the past decade so there are many holes that need to be filled in a pretty mediocre pipeline. But Askarov has the pedigree and body of work to overcome the Russian and positional bias that knock him to likely be available pick 10-14. His results compare favourable to Vasilevsky who faced down the doubters previously.

General rule, don't take goalies in the first round. There are exceptions and this tender is one of them. A team with a better prospect pipelines and possibly more than one first round pick will likely pick this player thereby hedging some of the risk. Too bad, pick right and prospectively solve a long standing positional issue for a decade.
20 is D+3 for Vasilevskiy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Taking a goalie with a 1st is kinda ... I dunno. Wouldn't you be better off just using the 1st on a player like Kuemper or Murray who actually has NHL experience than banking on someone maybe being as good as they are now in 5 years?

Otherwise I'm cool with just selecting BPA.

Reactions: nally

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
20 is D+3 for Vasilevskiy

I stand corrected. He was a 94 born, two months from being eligible for the 2013 draft. Regardless his age 20 year he played both NHL regular season and playoff games.

Askarov's body of work, quality of competition and achievements are in the same stratosphere of NHL Russian goalies including Vasilevskiy and Samsonov.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Fantastic post. Spot on. If Jarvis/Quinn are gone and we aren’t trading back, Askarov is the pick to make in my opinion.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Taking a goalie with a 1st is kinda ... I dunno. Wouldn't you be better off just using the 1st on a player like Kuemper or Murray who actually has NHL experience than banking on someone maybe being as good as they are now in 5 years?

Otherwise I'm cool with just selecting BPA.

This is definitely the year for the Oilers to deal for a goalie. With the goalie glut this year and expansion draft looming, you have to believe Holland will go trade or free agency to address a now issue. I also think he and Tippett feel they need a 1A after watching Koskinen falter in the Chicago series. I hope they go young and developing versus old, retread. Don't see them giving up the 14 for goalie help but also don't think they step up either for Askarov, though I think this is the tender to move on as a mid-first round pick were he to be available.

Draft fail has killed the Oilers and with finally some quality depth at d, they need to upgrade a weak forward prospect pool ... even though NHL wingers are the easiest and cheapest positional talent to find. Few legitimate prospects, no cap space doesn't lend itself to higher risk-reward decision making. Hard to see Askarov getting by Carolina any who.

EDIT: I'd follow the herd belief of not drafting a goaltender in the first round for likely 90-95% of all available. Askarov has the body of work to break from this philosophy imo.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I'm mainly arguing that the "Vasi is the best case scenario" situation isn't all that great.

Tampa got four years of him starting(by luckily signing him to a three year bridge) before signing him to his mammoth extension.

Goalies are still being paid for their individual numbers despite the position being far more system-based nowadays. Tampa is about to be paying Vasi $9.5M a year despite him having an incredibly easy job(by far the lowest 5v5 xG/60 in the playoffs). If Vasi put up a league average SV%, he would still have the best GAA in the league. Similar situation in the regular season, but behind Rask and CBJ/MIN's goalies.

Goalies just don't have great value anymore. Especially when you're drafting them and they take ~5 years to start. Wait a long time for them to contribute, they contribute on a value contract for a few years and then good ones basically play themselves into a contract number that makes them not worth keeping around.

There's just so much more value in taking a forward in the first round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaddy

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Vasi is not the best case scenario for Askarov. Carter Hart is. D+2 and he’s playing for the flyers. Starter in D+3

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

This is a great general rule of thumb. However, does this mean we should just keep drafting forwards for the rest of our lives?

The Oilers did an ass backwards rebuild were we just kept taking forwards and failed to solidify our defence and goaltending.

I would argue that Askarov is tremendous value at 14.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Vasi is not the best case scenario for Askarov. Carter Hart is. D+2 and he’s playing for the flyers. Starter in D+3

I dont get why Askarov cant end up being the best of the best. His pedigree is higher than any of his comparables. So to stay best case scenario hes Hart or Vasilevsky would be wrong. He could/should be better than both.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm mainly arguing that the "Vasi is the best case scenario" situation isn't all that great.

Tampa got four years of him starting(by luckily signing him to a three year bridge) before signing him to his mammoth extension.

Goalies are still being paid for their individual numbers despite the position being far more system-based nowadays. Tampa is about to be paying Vasi $9.5M a year despite him having an incredibly easy job(by far the lowest 5v5 xG/60 in the playoffs). If Vasi put up a league average SV%, he would still have the best GAA in the league. Similar situation in the regular season, but behind Rask and CBJ/MIN's goalies.

Goalies just don't have great value anymore. Especially when you're drafting them and they take ~5 years to start. Wait a long time for them to contribute, they contribute on a value contract for a few years and then good ones basically play themselves into a contract number that makes them not worth keeping around.

Tampa drafted an elite player despite Russian and positional bias. He's won a Vezina and also nominated for one before the age of twenty five. The contract (signed during peak goalie bubble days of the Brobosky signing) covers peak years performance and ends at 33, built with big signing bonus that enables trade or buy-out options. Great players gonna get paid and the most important position at the game is no exception. Stability and elite performance behind an extended Cup level team has value. As does not chasing goaltending in the draft or trying to bet on the recycle goalie market year after year. The Oilers keep burning picks on the next Tyler Bunz and bet money and term on a thirty something KHLer. Imagine having your goaltending position fixed for a decade...

Back to Askarov he's got the pedigree, track record of results in high quality professional leagues and elite peer tournament play, he more than covers the bet as BPA at the 14th pick in this NHL draft. High risk, high reward. Not playing the goalie card in the first round is the right play for overwhelmingly most of the time. Until sometimes it's not.

Goonitup44

Jun 22, 2019
If Askarov is available, i don't see how we pass on him. Would be huge If we could fix the goaltending for a long time. Askarov and Konovalov would be really nice to have coming in.

I'd be very happy with Jarvis/Quinn but i don't think they will be around

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I'm not saying they will want out, I'm saying you want to get a player that can contribute sooner rather than later. We're not a rebuilding team. And personally I'm not a fan of using a 1st round pick on a goalie anyway when you can get them for cheap more or less every year.

Anton Khudobin has put up two terrific seasons for Dallas and is in the Stanley Cup final this year. He was signed for free on a two year deal worth $2.5M per. Isles goalie Varlamov was signed as a free agent. Vegas goalie Lehner was signed as a free agent. Vasilevski is the only goalie of the final four this season that was drafted by his own team. Blues had Binnington last year come out of nowhere (a 3rd round pick way back in 2011). Pens had Murray come out of nowhere (a 3rd round pick in 2012).

It's just pointless to waste a pick on a goalie in the 1st round when you can get a forward coming in and making an impact within 3 years. How valuable hasn't Yamamoto's contribution been to the Oilers? He actually made our top6 somewhat legit and allowed us to separate McDavid and Draisaitl.

Imagine getting another Yamamoto-level player this year. Then suddenly our top6 is pretty decent. And a forward is generally going to give you a lot more value on an ELC than a goalie or defenseman, so it really helps with the cap situation too.

Yeah but Yamamoto didn’t break out till his D+3. It drives me crazy to see people say “Draft Mcdavid a winger”, if for another 3 season they are still strapping the likes of Neal, Chiasson, Kassian, Archibald to him, this team will have some issues.

The fact that Chiarelli went all out on D like 3-5 years ago is why you are seeing the likes of Jones,Bear, Bouchard coming up still slowly.

Regardless of the position that’s why it’s best just to go BPA. If BPA is Askarov then do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad