GDT: The Joy of Painting with Dano: Flyers @ Devils 7pm MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
We are so f***ing screwed.

I think that not making the playoffs this season could benefit this team long term.

That's a wakeup call and that's what might bring some system changes/coaching change.
They will not make coaching changes even though they should be looking at them.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Lou made a lot of in season changes to the roster that year. They added Foster and then moved him out for Zidlicky. Bernier wasn’t added to the team until January IIRC. Carter was a waiver pick-up I believe. And Poni was a deadline deal. Zajac came back from injury late and even Gionta came in the last game of season. That’s almost of a 1/4 of the team. And they got better with each move.
Funny enough, with Dougies cap gone this season we can do similar moves like these with the space we have. Maybe find a speedy winger, a goalie and maybe a Dman upgrade.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The 2011-2012 team, full of vets, was also relatively ass at this point in the season. Things change in a season

Look at the Panthers last season
Some very funny stat lines on that team. Eric Boulton 51 games 0 points. Cam Janssen 48 games 1 assist. Brad Mills 27 games 1 assist. Pelley, Sestito, Zharkov combine for 29 games 0 points.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Funny enough, with Dougies cap gone this season we can do similar moves like these with the space we have. Maybe find a speedy winger, a goalie and maybe a Dman upgrade.

I'm convinced Timo needs knee surgery and I would prefer he just go do it now and let Fitz look for someone else to hold that spot down for tge rest of the year.

Goalie goes without saying.

An upgrade over Smith and Miller would be nice too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Okay, how bad was it? I only saw the OT winner, which was enough to make me want to throw something lol

Overall they were fine. Flyers did what is typical of Torts teams, but we missed some wide open chances that would have extended the lead.

Jack made two massively stupid errors that lead to two goals against, one being the OT winner which was the difference in the end.

Vitek was fine. D was largely fine. Just didn't convert enough and Jack was a bone head and Smith doing Smith things.

Camille the Eel

Ugh that pissed me off.

Yeah as much as I want to run down the Flyers, they are playing very good hockey right now. I'm not convinced they have the horses to keep it up, but they are a hard team to beat right now.

But that said, and why I don't like this throwing in the towel talk, is the rest of the bubble isn't playing inspiring hockey either.

Our level of play isn't really that unique among the teams trying for the 3rd place Metro spot and the two wild card spots
We are right in the thick of it with most of the season to go. The point we got tonight was a good one. We have very much improved our positional play and spacing. I would really like to see us loosen up and take the pressure off of ourselves and that goes for us fans too. It looks like the team is trying to do too much. I thought we were squeezing the sticks a little tonight on plays we normally score on. We actually played pretty well in this game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lou made a lot of in season changes to the roster that year. They added Foster and then moved him out for Zidlicky. Bernier wasn’t added to the team until January IIRC. Carter was a waiver pick-up I believe. And Poni was a deadline deal. Zajac came back from injury late and even Gionta came in the last game of season. That’s almost of a 1/4 of the team. And they got better with each move.
Plus Parise was obviously rusty the first 1/4 of the season after not playing for nearly a year

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We are right in the thick of it with most of the season to go. The point we got tonight was a good one. We have very much improved our positional play and spacing. I would really like to see us loosen up and take the pressure off of ourselves and that goes for us fans too. It looks like the team is trying to do too much. I thought we were squeezing the sticks a little tonight on plays we normally score on. We actually played pretty well in this game.

Jack especially. He only makes errors like that when he is wound too tight.

But yeah we are in tge thick of it and it's not like the teams around us are all that impressive.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I can see both sides to this

Nemec gets benched but Jack Has a horrendous turnover that lead to a goal and I don’t think he sat a shift after ? Could be wrong

If you are going to hold one guy to a standard and not the other guy that’s just bad coaching in my opinion
If you’re not going to sit Brendan Smith then you can’t sit Jack. This is where I agree with the whataboutism point of view. But someone needs to have a talk with him, he’s had a lot of THESE type of games lately.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Would love our guys to hold each other accountable like that. Then again, maybe they do behind closed doors, but I’m not so sure…

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can see both sides to this

Nemec gets benched but Jack Has a horrendous turnover that lead to a goal and I don’t think he sat a shift after ? Could be wrong

If you are going to hold one guy to a standard and not the other guy that’s just bad coaching in my opinion
Jack had a horrendous game, not just a single turnover.

Obviously the game losing goal ended the game so we don’t know how Ruff would have handled it if there was more game to be played. But he does deserve to sit at least a little.

He is not playing winning hockey.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think (hope) they hold themselves accountable but I’m not sure anyone outside of Palat and maybe Jack has the capacity to actually get into someone else’s grill behind the scenes and I’m not even sure about those two after the same mistakes keep getting made all over the place and Jack himself has been one of the worst offenders in multiple games (Boston aside from the three on three goal, Ducks, tonight)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lindy isn’t doing any favors with the lineup. It’s obvious that certain pairs have been working. Go with these.

Bratt Hughes Toffoli
Palat Hischier Meier
Mercer McLeod Holtz
Lazar Haula Bastian
Lazar McLeod Bastian is working pretty well i think. Pretty dominant tonight.

The top 6 should work no matter the mix.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I know people don’t want to hear it, but there was a lot to like tonight. They controlled most of the game. Did not get lost in their own zone. PK was good. Vitek made the saves he needed.

There is a lot to like over this last 12 gm stretch. There have been many improvements. It’s still not where it needs to be but babysteps are being made. Lets try to get at least 6 pts in these last 5 games of the year and start again in 24.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think (hope) they hold themselves accountable but I’m not sure anyone outside of Palat and maybe Jack has the capacity to actually get into someone else’s grill behind the scenes and I’m not even sure about those two after the same mistakes keep getting made all over the place and Jack himself has been one of the worst offenders in multiple games (Boston aside from the three on three goal, Ducks, tonight
Take Jack out the equation and we played a pretty clean game tonight.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I know people don’t want to hear it, but there was a lot to like tonight. They controlled most of the game. Did not get lost in their own zone. PK was good. Vitek made the saves he needed.

There is a lot to like over this last 12 gm stretch. There have been many improvements. It’s still not where it needs to be but babysteps are being made. Lets try to get at least 6 pts in these last 5 games of the year and start again in 24.
It unfortunately hasn’t been good. I have a real hard time seeing the improvements. I guess they don’t give up as many odd-man rushes? I’ll give the defense looks somewhat better. They’re still way too careless with the puck, the play with no discipline, they can’t establish themselves, etc. They just don’t seem to care, like at all. I’m sorry to be that guy.

I’d love to hear Fitz’s thoughts right now.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If you’re not going to sit Brendan Smith then you can’t sit Jack. This is where I agree with the whataboutism point of view. But someone needs to have a talk with him, he’s had a lot of THESE type of games lately.
Smith sits half the games. And doesn’t play a whole lot when he does dress. Jack plays more then anyone.

Plenty of room in terms of minutes to send Jack a message.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It unfortunately hasn’t been good. I have a real hard time seeing the improvements. I guess they don’t give up as many odd-man rushes? I’ll give the defense looks somewhat better. They’re still way too careless with the puck, the play with no discipline, they can’t establish themselves, etc. They just don’t seem to care, like at all. I’m sorry to be that guy.

I’d love to hear Fitz’s thoughts right now.
Then you are 100% not seeing it. There has been immense improvement in their own zone since the Vancouver game. It’s been night and day. We were giving up an insane amount of slamdunk chances every single game. That has not been happening in the last stretch

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Then you are 100% not seeing it. There has been immense improvement in their own zone since the Vancouver game. It’s been night and day. We were giving up an insane amount of slamdunk chances every single game. That has not been happening in the last stretch
Yeah I agreed in the post that they look somewhat better defensively. They still look pretty damn bad so I don’t know what’s wrong.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Yeah I agreed in the post that they look somewhat better defensively. They still look pretty damn bad so I don’t know what’s wrong.
Baby steps
IMG_2520.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad