GDT: The Joy of Painting with Dano: Flyers @ Devils 7pm MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
As usual we agree on 90% of things but you insist on drawing a distinct line in the sand about the other 10%.

Who cares that Toffoli had a wide open chance he whiffed on? That's an excellent rebuttal if someone is arguing that the Flyers didn't give up any great chances at all, but that's not what's being said. You love pontificating about confirmation bias - maybe you should focus on how much strawmanning goes on. The Flyers had their own breakaways and odd man rushes they failed to convert on.

Yes - I just think that's hockey, teams get chances, they don't convert on most of them. I just don't agree that the Flyers just walked into their chances and the Devils had to work for everything. That's why I am talking about confirmation bias. The Flyers did block more shots, but they also gave up some very wide open looks - looks that if they had resulted in goals against us, we'd hear the same complaints.

In a vacuum I don't care about Jack f***ing this game up. But this is part of a pattern - for the team, not him individually - and that's a major f***ing problem. This is not an issue that you can just write off as a one-off that they will move on from, because they have failed to do that for the entire season now.

I think they have gotten considerably better at puck management as the season has gone on. It hasn't been a constant, obviously, but they're giving up fewer goals off neutral zone and offensive zone turnovers, or at least it feels that way. Vanecek making some saves helps. Jack has to learn not to force stuff when it's not working for him. I feel like most of the other guys have gotten better at this.

I'm not going to claim I don't have any bias because all of us do to varying degrees. But it's pretty insulting and condescending to claim authority about who does or doesn't have more of it than anyone else. It's not like I don't ever come on here and recognize when I see things differently. I had a post just about a week ago giving credit to the team for improving their puck management - but the last few periods of hockey have been another step back towards the pattern we've seen for a long time now. And I could easily lob the bias claim right back at you and say you're looking at things through rose-colored analytics purist glasses.

I definitely have lots of biases. I do tend to be more optimistic about stuff. I just think being unaware of this particular bias is weird.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Lindy isn’t doing any favors with the lineup. It’s obvious that certain pairs have been working. Go with these.

Bratt Hughes Toffoli
Palat Hischier Meier
Mercer McLeod Holtz
Lazar Haula Bastian

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Eh, Dougie did a lot for us offensively and in transition. This is a very young group on defense. Siegenthaler has slipped a bit and we demand too much of Marino.

You have this sort of turnover at defender and you’re defense, including the PK, will pay the price short term.

The top guys are dealing with injuries, it sucks, but it affects performance.

Vanecek was always a streaky mediocre goalie and Schmid should still be a tweener working on his game in the AHL. It’s a bummer that both guys are struggling but it’s not remotely a surprise.

I’m not against change but the idea that it has to happen this instant isn’t particularly realistic or useful IMO. (Unless a miraculously useful non-rental trade somehow comes together.)
All of these things might be true to one degree or another...it may buy Lindy the rest of the season, but it's just delaying the inevitable. This team needs someone who can instill discipline and move these guys onto the next level. This shit that Lindy has them doing is immature hockey and is not going to win a championship.

Reactions: mariG and Dialamo

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I don't think they even played poorly today. They had plenty of chances and were pretty tight D wise. Hell Vitek was fine too.

Game largely turned on Jack making some really poor decisions, which isn't going to be a thing that happens most nights.
Jonas missing a wide open chance in the 3rd sucked ass too

Also credit to the Flyers, they shut down everything around the net. They are doing that to everyone. That’s the only good thing they did tonight

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's not even the same though. They were losing games last December but they weren't play garbage hockey. Yours truly that's labeled a "pessimist" around these parts was one of the ones telling you to relax because they weren't playing badly.

This...this is 2021-22 all over again, just with more natural talent that gets them to win games they don't deserve to.

Sorry, this is not 2021-22 at all. This is just not having a memory of that season, really. I don't really know what purpose this comparison serves.

The Devils have 31 power play goals this year. They had 35 power play goals in 2021-22.

• Haha
Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Jonas missing a wide open chance in the 3rd sucked ass too

Also credit to the Flyers, they shut down everything around the net. They are doing that to everyone. That’s the only good thing they did tonight

Ugh that pissed me off.

Yeah as much as I want to run down the Flyers, they are playing very good hockey right now. I'm not convinced they have the horses to keep it up, but they are a hard team to beat right now.

But that said, and why I don't like this throwing in the towel talk, is the rest of the bubble isn't playing inspiring hockey either.

Our level of play isn't really that unique among the teams trying for the 3rd place Metro spot and the two wild card spots

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It's not even the same though. They were losing games last December but they weren't play garbage hockey. Yours truly that's labeled a "pessimist" around these parts was one of the ones telling you to relax because they weren't playing badly.

This...this is 2021-22 all over again, just with more natural talent that gets them to win games they don't deserve to.
The team with a 5 on 5 PDO near the bottom 5 of the NHL dropping so many one goal games isn’t winning many games they don’t deserve to.

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The 2021-2022 team never got a grasp of the D side of things. They already did that this season.

This is not 21-22

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Their actual bad stretch last season was in January. Awful hockey but were getting many fortunate wins. December was good hockey with frustrating results
January last year was when the grind of the schedule caught up to them a bit. West coast trip with short turnarounds. But they got wins.

Kind of like the recent western Canada trip where they played three in less than for days because of a late night to afternoon turnaround and they were gassed for Edmonton.

I know the team gets stuck with a lot of back to backs because they don’t have to travel much and teams come into other teams NY and knock out three games in a short time span. But the organization needs to do something in the future to alleviate getting the number of back to backs they get.

Last edited:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Sorry, this is not 2021-22 at all. This is just not having a memory of that season, really. I don't really know what purpose this comparison serves.

The Devils have 31 power play goals this year. They had 35 power play goals in 2021-22.
Well I did qualify it with them having more natural talent than they did two years ago...

The comparison is with their reckless style of play and how they expect inconsistent, pedestrian goaltenders to come up with heroic efforts to bail them out when the shit hits the fan with it.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The 2011-2012 team, full of vets, was also relatively ass at this point in the season. Things change in a season

Look at the Panthers last season

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People lost their shit when Nemec got sat a few shifts in the first after a couple of bad ones, guess what he reset and played over 21 minutes stuffing two two-on-ones. Ruff is generally fine with the kids, it’s mostly the vets he doesn’t have a clue with

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The 2011-2012 team, full of vets, was also relatively ass at this point in the season. Things change in a season
Lou made a lot of in season changes to the roster that year. They added Foster and then moved him out for Zidlicky. Bernier wasn’t added to the team until January IIRC. Carter was a waiver pick-up I believe. And Poni was a deadline deal. Zajac came back from injury late and even Gionta came in the last game of season. That’s almost of a 1/4 of the team. And they got better with each move.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
People lost their shit when Nemec got sat a few shifts in the first after a couple of bad ones, guess what he reset and played over 21 minutes stuffing two two-on-ones. Ruff is generally fine with the kids, it’s mostly the vets he doesn’t have a clue with
I did mention that if it was 1-2 shifts I’d be fine with it, and he did so, so good on him!

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I can see both sides to this

Nemec gets benched but Jack Has a horrendous turnover that lead to a goal and I don’t think he sat a shift after ? Could be wrong

If you are going to hold one guy to a standard and not the other guy that’s just bad coaching in my opinion

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Lou made a lot of in season changes to the roster that year. They added Foster and then moved him out for Zidlicky. Bernier wasn’t added to the team until January IIRC. Carter was a waiver pick-up I believe. And Poni was a deadline deal. Zajac came back from injury late and even Gionta came in the last game of season. That’s almost of a 1/4 of the team. And they got better with each move.
Yeah I don't think we are seeing changes to this roster like that this season.

It was a unique season of accumulating the right pieces little by little until it finally all came together at the exact right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad