GDT: The Joy of Painting with Dano: Flyers @ Devils 7pm MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Devils would have been guaranteed pretenders if they kept on with the nonstop 4-3, 5-4, 6-5 games. They were bleeding goals like crazy.

In the last 8 gms the devils have given up 2.85 GAA. That would be 10th best in the entire NHL over a season.

I struggle to see how people don’t see it. In the 22 games prior we gave up 88 goals which was 4 GAA, which I believe was 3rd worst. It’s a night and day difference.

Edit: I edited the numbers, originally miscounted

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Devils would have been guaranteed pretenders if they kept on with the nonstop 4-3, 5-4, 6-5 games. They were bleeding goals like crazy.

In the last 8 gms the devils have given up 2.5 GAA. That would be 3rd best in the entire NHL

This is progress, I struggle to see how people don’t see it. In the 22 games prior we gave up 88 goals which was 4 GAA. It’s a night and day difference.
Even with their best six game stretch of the season they’re still only 5-4 this month…technically 5-3-1 but tonight was a double whammy point lost

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Even with their best six game stretch of the season they’re still only 5-4 this month…technically 5-3-1 but tonight was a double whammy point lost
Thats where the rest of their game has to come together. They have learned how to stop bleeding chances and goals. Now our talented forwards have to find that balance where they can push play but not risk high danger chances.

What we were doing in October and November was a whole lot worse then what we are seeing now. It is indeed progress and if they continue in this trajectory then they will win more games than not.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It doesn't matter if you've been complaining about it habitually or not, it's just intellectually dishonest - know thyself. That play was extremely risky for no reward.

They're only contradictory by nature if you think that they, by default, follow one another. What Hughes did in the 2nd period was stupid - it's not something that the Devils should want to have him doing. That was reckless. I think a lot of what the Devils do 5v5 is not reckless; it's unconventional, it may not ultimately work, but there's also things about it that do work, and Sunday aside, they've been looking better. Playing Smith tonight was an unforced error.

Smith is our best PK guy, maybe they want him back in for the Oilers.

Smith had phenomenal results on the PK in the first 18 GP, great underlying numbers, zero GA and 2 GF.

His luck ran out in the 11/25 BUF & 11/28 NYI games, he was on the ice for one PP GA in each game. His underlying numbers have remained strong even if his crazy On-Ice Save % didn’t.

If he wasn’t banged up, or sat because his magical virginal PK run was over, then maybe taking penalties 3 games in a row got him sat after the first Philly game.

I’m not a fan of the Hughes-Smith pairing but they weren’t on the ice for either of the first two goals.

Smith did played a big role on the PK and didn’t take a penalty (hurrah!). So that was nice. (He was on a mental vacation during the second goal, alas.)

FULL SEASON - count
IMG_1179.jpeg
IMG_1180.jpeg
IMG_1181.jpeg
IMG_1182.jpeg
IMG_1183.jpeg

FULL SEASON - rate
IMG_1195.jpeg
IMG_1196.jpeg
IMG_1197.jpeg
IMG_1198.jpeg
IMG_1199.jpeg

IMG_1161.jpeg

FIRST 18 GP - count
IMG_1190.jpeg
IMG_1191.jpeg
IMG_1192.jpeg
IMG_1193.jpeg
IMG_1194.jpeg

FIRST 18 GP - rate
IMG_1184.jpeg
IMG_1185.jpeg
IMG_1186.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg
IMG_1189.jpeg

IMG_1168.jpeg

LAST 12 GP - count
IMG_1200.jpeg
IMG_1201.jpeg
IMG_1202.jpeg
IMG_1203.jpeg
IMG_1204.jpeg

LAST 12 GP - rate
IMG_1205.jpeg
IMG_1206.jpeg
IMG_1207.jpeg

IMG_1208.jpeg
IMG_1211.jpeg

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah I agreed in the post that they look somewhat better defensively. They still look pretty damn bad so I don’t know what’s wrong.

If they scored another goal or two tonight you wouldn’t say they looked bad.

Not producing is frustrating, and concerning, etc, but that’s a different problem then loosey goosey play or getting dominated in possession. If/when we have a goalie who makes saves that helps with the mistakes too.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I think the most disappointing or frustrating thing for me was the over passing. I didn’t think the passing was particularly crisp to begin with, but we passed on some open looks in addition to the ones we got. As the game wore on, we were struggling to connect tape-to-tape.

Was hoping to see us challenge the goalie more and drive to the net more, too. Hell, that’s how we pretty much got both of our goals.

It was an interesting game. Felt we were better overall, but it felt as though we were playing with a bit more tension than Philly was. Forcing things that weren’t there, specifically Jack who has been more guilty of that than normal. Torts has the Flyers playing like a classic Torts team and it’s annoying as f*** lol

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Tortorella put a team together with fair talent and built an old fashioned NJ Devils system, meaning conservative play and wait for opportunities. It works.

Jaques Lemaire, Pat Burns, and Larry Robinson all played defense first and won our cups.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Time is running out fast for the Devils. Teams ahead of them keep winning and during one of the most important stretches of the season they’re choking. It’s kind of disheartening. Ruff isn’t a terrible coach, but isn’t the right coach for this team. As someone posted, maybe Sullivan will be available next season. And it’s not all on the coach. Some of our main players are having a down season, especially Meier, Marino, and Mercer. Hopefully, it’s one season and done. We can use some toughness, better goaltending and definitely a better system.

Reactions: Saint Beaurivage

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
One more thing, I don't think it is fair to blame it all on Ruff although he isn't helping.

We made a lot of roster changes last year. They looked good on paper but sometimes the chemistry does not click. perhaps it still might however time is ticking away.

Severson, Graves, Wood, Tatar, Zetterland, and Sharangovoch. That's a lot. Everyone is unhappy with the Timo Meier trade but what about Palat? Is Palat really what we were entirely hoping he would become, meaning a leader that scores timely goals? Both Palat and Meier are costing this organization a lot of cap money.

Sharangovich and Zetteland are two hard workers I would have liked to have back.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Tortorella put a team together with fair talent and built an old fashioned NJ Devils system, meaning conservative play and wait for opportunities. It works.

Jaques Lemaire, Pat Burns, and Larry Robinson all played defense first and won our cups.
Most teams don't win off run and gun. Especially when scoring off the rush is essentially their only offense.

I think losing Brunette is a glaring issue and it's showing.

One more thing, I don't think it is fair to blame it all on Ruff although he isn't helping.

We made a lot of roster changes last year. They looked good on paper but sometimes the chemistry does not click. perhaps it still might however time is ticking away.

Severson, Graves, Wood, Tatar, Zetterland, and Sharangovoch. That's a lot. Everyone is unhappy with the Timo Meier trade but what about Palat? Is Palat really what we were entirely hoping he would become, meaning a leader that scores timely goals? Both Palat and Meier are costing this organization a lot of cap money.

Sharangovich and Zetteland are two hard workers I would have liked to have back.
People will say Palat brings intangibles and his impact off the ice is worth the cost. I don't agree but I don't feel like like arguing either.

• Haha
Reactions: Saint Beaurivage

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It wasn’t as egregious as it looked in real time, but he 100% got Hughes’ hands.
It was definitely stick to hands where, even when it’s minor, I go “that’s what the ref is looking for”.

Maybe even worse, powerplays were 3-1 in the game for the Flyers so it’s not like the Flyers got some slack for having been called for so much during the game.

Instead it seemed the refs game managed that it was OT and that the Devils had the only PP goal; which is a stupid way to ref.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Lindy isn’t doing any favors with the lineup. It’s obvious that certain pairs have been working. Go with these.

Bratt Hughes Toffoli
Palat Hischier Meier
Mercer McLeod Holtz
Lazar Haula Bastian

It wasn’t crazy to break up what wasn’t scoring and the Palat/Nico/Bratt line has been our best.

Also Meier sucks now, so dropping him out of the top 6 rather than having him drag a line down makes sense.

The 4th line did really well. Not sure Holtz has some long term magic with McLeod.

Every line combination has its positives and negatives.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Meier-Hischier-Holtz

torts would've benched him after the first turnover that wound up in the back of the net
Yeah. He benched Farabee after one shift in the other game "because he wouldn't listen". There is no accountability on the Devils, unless your name is Holtz or Miller.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It wasn’t crazy to break up what wasn’t scoring and the Palat/Nico/Bratt line has been our best.

Also Meier sucks now, so dropping him out of the top 6 rather than having him drag a line down makes sense.

The 4th line did really well. Not sure Holtz has some long term magic with McLeod.

Every line combination has its positives and negatives.
Think the negatives are outweighing the positives on the Mercer Holtz combination. But I'm not sure we can slap together an effective 3rd line right now with Meier struggling.

We could go McLeod on the 3rd line, but then again, he is kind of the 3rd line center right now. Mercer and Holtz getting 4th line minutes.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Palat hasn’t been as productive as one hoped but he’s made lines better. (Not defending his contract but he has helped.)

IMG_1212.jpeg
IMG_1214.jpeg

Mercer has been a mess and Meier hasn’t been functional since mid-November. Both have either not helped on top lines or been way problematic as 3rd line.

Add Haula being hurt, and perhaps not even able to center a 3rd line right now, and we suddenly can’t make four functional lines.

I’m not necessarily unhappy with Meier trade. We had to overpay him but there’s a reason high end power fowards get paid a lot. We need a physical skilled forward. He’s hurt. That sucks. It is what it is.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Okay, how bad was it? I only saw the OT winner, which was enough to make me want to throw something lol

We actually played well. IMO. We lost because of our own mistakes. Shot ourselves is most of the flyers goals. And missed a few key goal opportunities.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yeah. He benched Farabee after one shift in the other game "because he wouldn't listen". There is no accountability on the Devils, unless your name is Holtz or Miller.
I’m very glad he isn’t our coach. Nemec had an awful turnover in the 1st, sat for a couple shifts, and put together a terrific game after that. Nemec and Luke need risk in their game to be the stars they can be.

Did we want Jack Hughes benched for the 3 on 3? Where he’s as good as any player in the National Hockey League?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’m very glad he isn’t our coach. Nemec had an awful turnover in the 1st, sat for a couple shifts, and put together a terrific game after that. Nemec and Luke need risk in their game to be the stars they can be.

Did we want Jack Hughes benched for the 3 on 3? Where he’s as good as any player in the National Hockey League?
If we didn't lose immediately after his OT turnover I definitely would have benched him the rest of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad