GDT: The Joy of Painting with Dano: Flyers @ Devils 7pm MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
TL/DR

Stay the course with Ruff. There’s no upgrades available right now. Maybe Evason, but he’s the guy that was making Fleury happen so much in Minnesota. Notice how that isn’t happening since Hynes took over? And Minny fans speculated these calls might have been coming from Guerin upstairs when he was doing it last year. That’s been disproven since Hynes came in.

Let Ruff get the ship back to shore or let him sink it, then replace in the offseason if it sinks.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Maybe you are comparing too much to last season? I get the disappointment in that regard. For me, every season is different and the goal is to make the postseason because anything can happen then.

I would be at Defcon 10 on the Danometer if we were still playing like we were in Oct and Nov. We are not. We are actually doing a decent job in our D zone lately and the goalies are getting more confident, all the while going 8-3-1. That’s progress in my eyes. We are also right there in the playoff hunt so it’s not like there’s a giant mountain to climb.

Now we look for more of a complete game from the offensive side while not letting go of this responsible play and we will be taking another step forward. 50 games left. Lots of time for more improvement.
Maybe you’re right. I don’t think I’m expecting them to be like last year, but they don’t look dominant at all. I don’t know, I feel weird about them right now.

All I know is that I believe in the future of this group, so I’m going to see where this goes, but I’m very open to the fact that they might not make the playoffs.

For the record, it’s not fun for me to talk like this lol. I want this team to get into their groove, like a lot lol. I’ll be the first one to give the team their flowers if they turn it around, you know me. It’s just hard to think positively about the team this season with what I’m seeing. Regardless of the record or the dubs, they don’t look good on the ice to me.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It doesn't matter if you've been complaining about it habitually or not, it's just intellectually dishonest - know thyself. That play was extremely risky for no reward.
It's not at all intellectually dishonest, this is just you turning a blind eye to the argument being made. It does matter that I don't complain about risky plays on the PP habitually, because the Devils don't make risky stupid plays on the PP habitually. That's exactly the f***ing point. They routinely make stupid risky plays in the NZ and DZ. So no - if the Devils did what the Flyers did on that PP, I wouldn't make a stink about it unless it was happening regularly. The only reason you think this is intellectually dishonest if because you're ignoring the specifics of the criticism and generalizing it.

They're only contradictory by nature if you think that they, by default, follow one another. What Hughes did in the 2nd period was stupid - it's not something that the Devils should want to have him doing. That was reckless. I think a lot of what the Devils do 5v5 is not reckless; it's unconventional, it may not ultimately work, but there's also things about it that do work, and Sunday aside, they've been looking better. Playing Smith tonight was an unforced error.
Well then we simply disagree about the bolded. Everything is about risk vs. reward. So far the reward has only outweighed the risk for one out of 2.35 seasons. I would say that's reckless.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t understand the doom. 50 games left. 8-3-1 last 12 while getting better goaltending and D play. Massive step forward. Offense will come around

I don't think this fanbase is used to a grind of a season.

It's either we have been beyond putrid with the season over in November or we rolling over the league like last year.

I'm disappointed we aren't better then a bubble team as I think we should be, goaltending aside, but it is what it is.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

It's either we have been beyond putrid with the season over in November or we rolling over the league like last year.

I'm disappointed we aren't better then a bubble team as I think we should be, goaltending aside, but it is what it is.
That’s the problem, the record isn’t my issue. The team just doesn’t look good, even in W’s. If we were playing better hockey and had the record we had I’d be way less concerned, but it’s not the case unfortunately.

I have a hard time believing you can’t relate. Weren’t you pretty tense last year in December during the losing streak? The losing streak sucked, but they were playing better than they are now from what I remember.

A dog fight down the stretch might be best for these kids anyway. Last year was a bit too easy.

Need to learn you can't take games for granted or assume points will just come
This I agree with.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That’s the problem, the record isn’t my issue. The team just doesn’t look good, even in W’s. If we were playing better hockey and had the record we had I’d be way less concerned, but it’s not the case unfortunately.

I have a hard time believing you can’t relate. Weren’t you pretty tense last year in December during the losing streak? The losing streak sucked, but they were playing better than they are now from what I remember.

This I agree with.

Jack especially needs this lesson for his maturity.

I was super tense last December and I was wrong to be. I'm trying not to let the up and down swings of a long season mess with me this year.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
They really aren't though. Absurdly bad is what happened to Buffalo tonight.

I get being frustrated but I don't think it calls for hyperbole. We don't need to act like this is a .300 team that's playing like a .300 team.

Hell if more of our Ls this year looked like tonight, we would be comfortably in a playoff spot.

We have more wins then the Isles, Caps, Wings, and Lightening and only a couple off of Carolina and Philly. Literally just a couple OTL points and everyone is singing a different tune.

I would love for them to just roll 13 wins in a row again, but that stuff generally doesn't happen every year.

I don't give a shit about their w/l record. Unfortunately, that's probably only thing Ruff cares about too. Their issues go so much further than just the w/l. They are playing really bad hockey, and I'm not talking about wins or losses.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Even going back to the good days they were hardly in a bubble race. It’s either been in solid position or be out by Christmas. The closest would be ‘06, but that season saw a Christmas time coaching change and then Elias returning to save the season.

17-2018 they were in first place at this point and fell apart the second half to barely make it. This probably has more of a feeling like 2013-14 where the team just couldn’t get on a roll. It was as win 2 games and then lose 3 games.

This team is better than that team, but we are all waiting on the 5-6 winning streak and it isn’t coming.

Reactions: Devs3cups

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
And it was super silly in hindsight. Team pulled out of it and had a record breaking season.

82 game seasons are wild marathons. Swoons and hot streaks happen. All the matters is where you are after game 82.
Remove the crazy winning streak (which had a lot of nail biters) and last season isn’t too far off from what we are seeing right now. Lots of lows last season too. The Dec and Jan downward trend, and then another bad lull leading up to that last Rags game where they got within a game of us.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
And it was super silly in hindsight. Team pulled out of it and had a record breaking season.

82 game seasons are wild marathons. Swoons and hot streaks happen. All the matters is where you are after game 82.
It was silly because the team had looked awesome until then last season.

The team hasn’t looked half as good this season and we’re almost at the halfway point.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Even going back to the good days they were hardly in a bubble race. It’s either been in solid position or be out by Christmas. The closest would be ‘06, but that season saw a Christmas time coaching change and then Elias returning to save the season.

17-2018 they were in first place at this point and fell apart the second half to barely make it. This probably has more of a feeling like 2013-14 where the team just couldn’t get on a roll. It was as win 2 games and then lose 3 games.

This team is better than that team, but we are all waiting on the 5-6 winning streak and it isn’t coming.

I think it can and will come, but it is possible they go the rest of the way doing 2 and 3 game win streaks then drop 1 or 2, rinse and repeat.

Which is frustrating.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It was silly because the team had looked awesome until then last season.

The team hasn’t looked half as good this season and we’re almost at the halfway point.
This team is also not getting the benefit of being a sneaker team like last season which played a huge hand in that crazy winning streak. Every single team this season is taking us seriously

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

It's not even the same though. They were losing games last December but they weren't play garbage hockey. Yours truly that's labeled a "pessimist" around these parts was one of the ones telling you to relax because they weren't playing badly.

This...this is 2021-22 all over again, just with more natural talent that gets them to win games they don't deserve to.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
This team is also not getting the benefit of being a sneaker team like last season which played a huge hand in that crazy winning streak. Every single team this season is taking us seriously
I don’t disagree at all. Don’t think that gives them a pass to look like ass. That should’ve been expected by the group and staff.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
My biggest issue is I think Ruff's lines are head scratchers. I still don't know why he won't just keep Bratt with Jack as it has worked so well all year.

They also got to make a decision on Timo. He is hurting them out there. Dude can barely skate.

Reactions: palek1019

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It's not even the same though. They were losing games last December but they weren't play garbage hockey. Yours truly that's labeled a "pessimist" around these parts was one of the ones telling you to relax because they weren't playing badly.

This...this is 2021-22 all over again, just with more natural talent that gets them to win games they don't deserve to.
Their actual bad stretch last season was in January. Awful hockey but were getting many fortunate wins. December was good hockey with frustrating results

Reactions: Triumph

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The team just doesn’t look right man, and they haven’t all season long. It feels weird for me being on the other side lmao but I can’t help it. They just don’t have it right now.

As I said, I can’t remember too many games this year where I thought to myself they played a complete game. They got some W’s there, but man, they didn’t look good during that streak, I’m just being honest. They just don’t have it.

I’m super high on this group’s future, but I think something has to change.

Eh, Dougie did a lot for us offensively and in transition. This is a very young group on defense. Siegenthaler has slipped a bit and we demand too much of Marino.

You have this sort of turnover at defender and you’re defense, including the PK, will pay the price short term.

The top guys are dealing with injuries, it sucks, but it affects performance.

Vanecek was always a streaky mediocre goalie and Schmid should still be a tweener working on his game in the AHL. It’s a bummer that both guys are struggling but it’s not remotely a surprise.

I’m not against change but the idea that it has to happen this instant isn’t particularly realistic or useful IMO. (Unless a miraculously useful non-rental trade somehow comes together.)

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Eh, Dougie did a lot for us offensively and in transition. This is a very young group on defense. Siegenthaler has slipped a bit and we demand too much of Marino.

You have this sort of turnover at defender and you’re defense, including the PK, will pay the price short term.

The top guys are dealing with injuries, it sucks, but it affects performance.

Vanecek was always a streaky mediocre goalie and Schmid should still be a tweener working on his game in the AHL. It’s a bummer that both guys are struggling but it’s not remotely a surprise.

I’m not against change but the idea that it has to happen this instant isn’t particularly realistic or useful IMO. (Unless a miraculously useful non-rental trade somehow comes together.)
I agree with most of this, honestly. I want to feel good about the team. It’s just hard to when I watch them play.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah there’s definitely a bit of ‘05-06 early season vibe right now, unfortunately we don’t have an Elias waiting in the wings and a coaching change is still unlikely at this point. Something else is going to have to snap this team out of its sloppy, underachieving tendencies…maybe Fitz can pull a Grier and give them a butt kicking meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad