The Josh Anderson Thread

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
The team got him for way less than they should have. I'm not complaining, it's obviously great as a fan of the team, but Torts needs to let it go. If Anderson gets a career-ending injury in that third season his agent didn't want him to take, he'll be out millions. He's with the team, scoring goals, fighting Zdeno Chara, and generally looking like the player everyone always wanted him to be, and he's going to do that all season and then two more seasons after that at $1.85m per year. What purpose does it serve to keep bringing up the contract dispute?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
What purpose does it serve to keep bringing up the contract dispute?

I imagine he'll stop after the last comment about it. Then again, the holdout was stupid at the time and remains stupid. His agent is an idiot and nothing Torts has said is untrue.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Did his Agent misplay the hand? Probably. Is Andy worth more than $1.85 AAV? Definitely. This would be less an issue for him if a 2 year; its the 3 year term that’s unfavorable to Andy. (And yes, I understand his status which limits his leverage).

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I did not expect him to come out firing on all cylinders. This is going to be taken wrong but I am one of those people that like to look for comparable players past & present: Does anybody see a little bit of Todd Bertuzzi (prior to him becoming a dirty player). Naslund and Bertuzzi were a formidable pairing for the Canucks back in the day. I may be way off base but Josh has an edge to his game & when he squared off with Chara it came to mind that few players play the game with elephant balls..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Josh Anderson might become Rick Nash with heart. Seriously.

I don't know if he'll ever score 40 like Nash did. But I think he could be a 25+-30 guy who is good on both ends of the puck, and physically dominant.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I don't know if he'll ever score 40 like Nash did. But I think he could be a 25+-30 guy who is good on both ends of the puck, and physically dominant.
That's kind of the impression I get, altho I've hesitated to say as much. He certainly has the same speedy-big-guy-who-scores approach.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
https://thehockeywriters.com/blue-jackets-josh-anderson-emergence/

Interesting article especially the part of how it could impact Cam. I'm sure lots of you will say keep them both but at some point the cap will become an issue. If Cam scores 30 goals plus or minus a few it will depend on what he wants and what he thinks other teams will offer. If he is looking 6 million plus I could see him being dealt. Problem will be Jackets can't trade him at the deadline if they are a serious SC contender. On the other hand if they wait then he's only bringing a draft pick for his rights.

If Andy is continuing to show 1st line performance and OB is on fire I could see trading Cam at the deadline if it brought a really good return. Of course the UFA factor will dampen it even then but it has to be better than a 3rd or 4th for his rights.

Very interesting to see how this unfolds.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
https://thehockeywriters.com/blue-jackets-josh-anderson-emergence/

Interesting article especially the part of how it could impact Cam. I'm sure lots of you will say keep them both but at some point the cap will become an issue. If Cam scores 30 goals plus or minus a few it will depend on what he wants and what he thinks other teams will offer. If he is looking 6 million plus I could see him being dealt. Problem will be Jackets can't trade him at the deadline if they are a serious SC contender. On the other hand if they wait then he's only bringing a draft pick for his rights.

If Andy is continuing to show 1st line performance and OB is on fire I could see trading Cam at the deadline if it brought a really good return. Of course the UFA factor will dampen it even then but it has to be better than a 3rd or 4th for his rights.

Very interesting to see how this unfolds.
I really don't think there are any questions if he's getting $6 million plus on his next deal... the only question is whether or not that is with the Blue Jackets or not.

But yeah ... interesting indeed. In terms of big names I have a feeling in the next 1-3 years we are losing one of Bob, Panarin, Atkinson.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

I’m pretty sure Andy’s favorite player growing up was Nash....I’m sure there’s a link out there

But yes I could see him turning into a more engaged Nash-like player. He’s a good mix between Nash and Wayne Simmonds.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He's playing 14-16 minutes a game, other than this last one, and there's never been even a hint of a trade request. This is absurd. Kypreos has no earthly ****ing clue what he's talking about.

There's hundreds of players that are upset with their minutes. Not a story. The reason they mentioned Anderson is because of the Leafs/Habs interest in him.

Anyways I highly doubt he'd be moved. Much more likely a smaller RW goes. The team is suddenly pretty small without Anderson.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Anderson's minutes last game has more to do with Dubinsky going down than anything else.

38 - 17 - 34 was our best line through the first 2 games. Nothing against Nash but when Dubinsky went down Torts started blending the line. That means players went up and down the lineup. Anderson was one of those players.

Had Dubinsky stayed healthy, I think the line stays together and gets top-6 minutes.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I thought Anderson just got bumped down because they needed him to carry the 4th line / get Bjorkstrand some shifts up the lineup.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Andy is a beast. He's got size, speed, toughness and can score.

I think the terms top 6/bottome 6 are outmoded as ideally teams are built with a top line, middle 6 and a 4th line. On good teams the middle 6 include some capable scorers on each line. And on really good teams oneor two of the fourth liners can play up. For me, Andy is an ideal middle six guy and one of those capable goal scorers on that group. And he brings it pretty much all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad