The Josh Anderson Thread

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I would say he is ‘unless as part of a deal for Pastrnak’ untouchable.

Yeah, that may seem crazy, but given the age of Boston’s other top forwards (we don’t need defensemen and certainly not in exchange for a forward), I’m inclined to agree that the only way Andy should go to Boston is as part of a package for Pastrnak. Don’t think we’re good trading partners.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
How untouchable is he? Would love him in Boston after seeing him in the playoffs. Major respect to your team
What did you see about him in the playoffs that would make you say this. Most CBJ fans thought he disappeared in the Boston series mainly due to focusing too much on trying to make the big hit instead of playing hockey.

Reactions: cslebn

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
What did you see about him in the playoffs that would make you say this. Most CBJ fans thought he disappeared in the Boston series mainly due to focusing too much on trying to make the big hit instead of playing hockey.

I think seeing how big and tough the Blues were. Makes me miss Lucic and Josh looks like a legit power forward. Enjoy him entertaining player for sure.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I wouldn’t say he is untouchable. I would say he is very costly. I don’t know if anyone is untouchable on the Jackets right now.

Any trade involving Anderson is going to involve a stud forward (LW or C) coming back to the CBJ. Like a trade based around Anderson and one of our D for someone like Barkov or Landeskog. So a trade involving Anderson is highly unlikely.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Same question as PLD for Anderson. Long term or another bridge? Last negotiation was contentious. This one will depend on his performance this season to a great extent. So far it is hard for me to advocate long term if he doesn't kick it up several notches. On the other hand maybe he is hurt or hindered by line mates or system.

Push comes to shove, assuming he produces at or above .5 ppg from here on out I guess I'd try for a long term (not 7 or 8 years), probably 5 or 6 years at somewhere around 5-5.5 mm. If he doesn't pick it up then I think a bridge (short term) deal is the only option.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Push comes to shove, assuming he produces at or above .5 ppg from here on out I guess I'd try for a long term (not 7 or 8 years), probably 5 or 6 years at somewhere around 5-5.5 mm. If he doesn't pick it up then I think a bridge (short term) deal is the only option.

I don't think there is a bridge option. I think Anderson can go to arbitration this summer and get a one year deal that takes him straight to UFA at the end of next year. And that adds a layer of drama and increases the likelihood that he's gone.

So the right path is to sign him long term this year or this coming summer, which is admittedly a bit scary because of his health and playstyle.

What I'd hope is that Josh would be amenable to a $5.3m x 5, or a $5.8m x 4 type of deal (assuming he finishes with 35-45 pts this year). Long long term is a lot of risk for the club, and would probably be the sticking point in negotiations if things do get sticky.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think there is a bridge option. I think Anderson can go to arbitration this summer and get a one year deal that takes him straight to UFA at the end of next year. And that adds a layer of drama and increases the likelihood that he's gone

Yeah technically there is not a typical bridge deal available. I was thinking maybe a 3 year deal as a pseudo bridge. I think it definitely is going to be a tough negotiation unless he goes crazy from here on out. What happens if he puts up 20 - 25 points? Don't envy Jarmo on this one.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Another Jarmo/Broadcaster "we need to use our CBA leverage" folly.

Anderson should be in year 3 of a 6 year deal with an AAV in the $3-3.5 million range.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah technically there is not a typical bridge deal available. I was thinking maybe a 3 year deal as a pseudo bridge. I think it definitely is going to be a tough negotiation unless he goes crazy from here on out. What happens if he puts up 20 - 25 points? Don't envy Jarmo on this one.

I don't think there's much chance of a 3 year deal, unless the club overpays on $. I think Anderson knows that probably takes him past his "sell by" date and he will make sure his one big contract is a good one.

If Anderson really bombs out this season, then I could see them agreeing to revisit things later next year. Just do a one year deal, possibly through arbitration, and then see how he does next season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’d give Anderson a 6 year deal. Takes him right to the age his body will be breaking down, and we can get him at a reasonable price.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I’d give Anderson a 6 year deal. Takes him right to the age his body will be breaking down, and we can get him at a reasonable price.

Regardless as to how he finishes this season? I think a lot depends on that. Call it 60 games left, imo he needs to put up 30-35 points from here on out to justify 6 years unless he is willing to take a lot fewer $'s which I doubt. If he doesn't produce best bet could be let him go to arbitration then see how next year plays out. Can always trade him at the TDL if he continues to slump. If he is injured or still recovering then that makes it harder to decide what to do.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think the reason this is hard is because we don't actually know when that age will be for Anderson. Could be in ten years, could be in two.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Regardless as to how he finishes this season? I think a lot depends on that. Call it 60 games left, imo he needs to put up 30-35 points from here on out to justify 6 years unless he is willing to take a lot fewer $'s which I doubt. If he doesn't produce best bet could be let him go to arbitration then see how next year plays out. Can always trade him at the TDL if he continues to slump. If he is injured or still recovering then that makes it harder to decide what to do.

If we take him to arbitration he will leave after that contract. If we’re going to commit to Andy, it has to be now. I’m comfortable with committing to him because even if he tops out to be a 30–40 point forward he’s a good physical presence

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Just to bump a thread... Let's assume Josh is willing to stay. What do we think a term a length would be that we would be "comfortable" with? On his high he's a wrecking ball with speed, a great forecheck and enough skill to put 25-30 goals in the net - plays both PP and PK. Can contribute anywhere top 9.

On his worst, he's still got speed and the forecheck but he doesn't add much to the score sheet and certainly gets zero PP time. Still a PK guy but shifts to bottom 6 and nothing more.

Would a deal of $5.25AAV for 4 years ($21MM total deal) be reasonable? Crazy high? Do we think he thinks he's worth more? Term reasonable? It's just what pops in my head.... I don't know, feels about right to me.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just to bump a thread... Let's assume Josh is willing to stay. What do we think a term a length would be that we would be "comfortable" with? On his high he's a wrecking ball with speed, a great forecheck and enough skill to put 25-30 goals in the net - plays both PP and PK. Can contribute anywhere top 9.

On his worst, he's still got speed and the forecheck but he doesn't add much to the score sheet and certainly gets zero PP time. Still a PK guy but shifts to bottom 6 and nothing more.

Would a deal of $5.25AAV for 4 years ($21MM total deal) be reasonable? Crazy high? Do we think he thinks he's worth more? Term reasonable? It's just what pops in my head.... I don't know, feels about right to me.

That sounds about right. He might not take it. If he has another 25 goal pace season and looks healthy he'll get more, so it depends on whether he wants to bet on himself or play it safe. I would certainly offer as much as you suggested, but we may need to buy an extra year or offer a little more $ if we want to have a better chance of closing the deal.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

He'd probably ask for more term, but I think thats fair.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He'd probably ask for more term, but I think thats fair.
I had originally put 5 yrs at $5.4AAV but just felt like CBJ would target 4 years. Still allows time for another pay day yet would be "long term" and part of core through Prime years. Certainly an interesting case to watch this Summer or whenever the season ends...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I'd say that this is a very reasonable deal. It makes him a $5 million player but doesn't obligate the team for an unreasonable term. I'm sure that he-well his agent, anyway-would want more money and term, but there are enough question marks about his health-at least from those on the outside. Even if he gets back to 100%, he's not a player who's going to score 60 points. He'a a second liner who lacks passing vision.

He'll average 70 points per year over the life of the new deal now that I said that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If the real downside was Josh potentially losing his scoring touch and just being a heavy hitting third liner, I wouldn't hesitate to go 5 years. It's not a terrible risk. But with injuries to both shoulders within a year, there is a more serious specter that he might not be able to play the heavy game he used to, which makes 5 years a bad risk. I'm really hoping they can come to an agreement on something shorter.

Reactions: rotsbu

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
4 million per year for 4 years. Should be.

To me he's overrated by many and should be seen as trade bait. Saad level offensive talent. His extra grit and physical game is mostly redundant on the CBJ and is also simply overrated IMO. The positive impact his physical game normally has on the team is simply overblown imo. Takes dumber penalties than Jenner/Foligno and is actually much less effective with his physical play than both guys. He misses the body on checks more than he doesn't it seems. He also seems to cheat offensively more than some people like to admit, along with blowing plenty of chances while also showing LESSER offensive talent than the commonly mocked Jenner.

Dubois/Jenner-- 3) Bjorkstrand 4) Nyquist 5) Atkinson 6) Foligno 7) Texier 8) Bemstrom

That's 8 forwards that I'd rather have in the lineup over Anderson. I consider them more important and could say they should deserve higher cap hits right now and going forward. Robinson is legitimately right on the same level offensively and with just a handful more games under his belt Foudy could quite easily be just as, if not more, impactful also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad