The Josh Anderson Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Blue Jackets' started by WerenskiRules, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Long Live Lyle

Long Live Lyle Registered User

Yeah, that may seem crazy, but given the age of Boston’s other top forwards (we don’t need defensemen and certainly not in exchange for a forward), I’m inclined to agree that the only way Andy should go to Boston is as part of a package for Pastrnak. Don’t think we’re good trading partners.

2. Viqsi

Viqsi where we're going we won't need eyes to see

Jackets 1st, Preds 2nd
    Ludicrously so, to the point that I've taken to advising folks on Trade Rumors & Free Agency to just not bother ever asking about him.

3. CharlotteJacket

CharlotteJacket Registered User

What did you see about him in the playoffs that would make you say this. Most CBJ fans thought he disappeared in the Boston series mainly due to focusing too much on trying to make the big hit instead of playing hockey.

cslebn likes this.
  4. TimThomas24

TimThomas24 Registered User

I think seeing how big and tough the Blues were. Makes me miss Lucic and Josh looks like a legit power forward. Enjoy him entertaining player for sure.

cslebn and Cyclones Rock like this.
  5. koteka

koteka Registered User

I wouldn’t say he is untouchable. I would say he is very costly. I don’t know if anyone is untouchable on the Jackets right now.

Any trade involving Anderson is going to involve a stud forward (LW or C) coming back to the CBJ. Like a trade based around Anderson and one of our D for someone like Barkov or Landeskog. So a trade involving Anderson is highly unlikely.

6. Jovavic

Jovavic Dead behind the eyes

Simmonds and Schenn for Richards comes to mind as a comparable

7. EspenK

EspenK Registered User

Same question as PLD for Anderson. Long term or another bridge? Last negotiation was contentious. This one will depend on his performance this season to a great extent. So far it is hard for me to advocate long term if he doesn't kick it up several notches. On the other hand maybe he is hurt or hindered by line mates or system.

Push comes to shove, assuming he produces at or above .5 ppg from here on out I guess I'd try for a long term (not 7 or 8 years), probably 5 or 6 years at somewhere around 5-5.5 mm. If he doesn't pick it up then I think a bridge (short term) deal is the only option.

8. CBJWennberg10

CBJWennberg10 Dark Days Have Returned

Long term.

9. majormajor

majormajor Registered User

I don't think there is a bridge option. I think Anderson can go to arbitration this summer and get a one year deal that takes him straight to UFA at the end of next year. And that adds a layer of drama and increases the likelihood that he's gone.

So the right path is to sign him long term this year or this coming summer, which is admittedly a bit scary because of his health and playstyle.

What I'd hope is that Josh would be amenable to a $5.3m x 5, or a $5.8m x 4 type of deal (assuming he finishes with 35-45 pts this year). Long long term is a lot of risk for the club, and would probably be the sticking point in negotiations if things do get sticky.

10. EspenK

EspenK Registered User

Yeah technically there is not a typical bridge deal available. I was thinking maybe a 3 year deal as a pseudo bridge. I think it definitely is going to be a tough negotiation unless he goes crazy from here on out. What happens if he puts up 20 - 25 points? Don't envy Jarmo on this one.

11. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock Registered User

Another Jarmo/Broadcaster "we need to use our CBA leverage" folly.

Anderson should be in year 3 of a 6 year deal with an AAV in the $3-3.5 million range.

12. majormajor

I don't think there's much chance of a 3 year deal, unless the club overpays on $. I think Anderson knows that probably takes him past his "sell by" date and he will make sure his one big contract is a good one.

If Anderson really bombs out this season, then I could see them agreeing to revisit things later next year. Just do a one year deal, possibly through arbitration, and then see how he does next season.

13. CBJWennberg10

I’d give Anderson a 6 year deal. Takes him right to the age his body will be breaking down, and we can get him at a reasonable price.

14. EspenK

EspenK Registered User

Regardless as to how he finishes this season? I think a lot depends on that. Call it 60 games left, imo he needs to put up 30-35 points from here on out to justify 6 years unless he is willing to take a lot fewer $'s which I doubt. If he doesn't produce best bet could be let him go to arbitration then see how next year plays out. Can always trade him at the TDL if he continues to slump. If he is injured or still recovering then that makes it harder to decide what to do.

15. majormajor

I think the reason this is hard is because we don't actually know when that age will be for Anderson. Could be in ten years, could be in two.

16. CBJWennberg10

If we take him to arbitration he will leave after that contract. If we’re going to commit to Andy, it has to be now. I’m comfortable with committing to him because even if he tops out to be a 30–40 point forward he’s a good physical presence

17. Iron Balls McGinty

Iron Balls McGinty HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Could be now based on how he is playing this year.

YouTakeTheVan likes this.