The Josh Anderson Thread

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The health report here is critical. If it's a clean bill of health, verified by both team and player's doctors, I'd like to see something like 5x4.75. Yes, it's a risk, but I do believe in Anderson's ability to live up to and surpass that contract if healthy.

If there are question marks regarding the recovery, then all bets are off the table.

Reactions: JKinCLE

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
For those that haven't seen it, there is an article in The Athletic that indicates Anderson wants to sign with CBJ long term. And Ferris is quoted that dealing with CBJ isn't that difficult and it's a business thing that the media has morphed into the CBJ being difficult (I'm paraphrasing).

I love Anderson and I think he's shown top 6 ability with a bottom 6 mentality or label. His size, speed and 3 years of continuous growth with little to no PP time and big PK time shows his skill and versatility. I know it wouldn't be a popular choice but if he is signed long term, I think that offers flexibility to move either Cam or Bemmstrom as a very nice piece to another team and possibly a better piece to land a top 6 C. I'm not saying move one of them but having 3 of Cam, Bem, Andy and Bjork on the RW would be very reasonable to me. It's our strongest position (beyond the D) and could help upgrade the C or even LW position if they felt Tex woudl move to C (Although I don't feel that solves the top 6 C gap next year for sure).

Personally, I have concerns with Cam. The contract and his play the last 18 months (yes, injured) has me a little concerned with dead money that could be used for Andy and Bjorkstrand. However, Cam is a leader and huge in the community and, of course, shown to be a 30+ goal scorer. Tough spot but gives some options.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I’m pretty sure he will be re-signed long term. I don’t see any team offering a package that will make Jarmo pull the trigger after a lackluster season that Anderson had. We just need to hope he comes back fresh and healthy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The health report here is critical. If it's a clean bill of health, verified by both team and player's doctors, I'd like to see something like 5x4.75. Yes, it's a risk, but I do believe in Anderson's ability to live up to and surpass that contract if healthy.

If there are question marks regarding the recovery, then all bets are off the table.

That is a price tag I could live with.

If Jarmo can't get to an agreement because he doesn't want to make a big bet on Anderson's long term health, then I'm wondering how trade discussions would work.

"We'd like to do a sign-and-trade for Anderson, Jarmo. Can you tell us why you didn't sign him?"
"The kid's shoulders are too big a risk"
"Nevermind".

It seems that if we can't risk the long term deal, knowing his health the best, then probably no one can. That should theoretically tell Anderson to take what we offer or just take a one year deal. Or maybe he holds out for a long term deal and we're just stuck with him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
NHL Trade Big Board: 22 players who could be on the move this offseason

One executive expressed concerns about what a trade for Anderson, who played just 26 games last season, might cost both in assets and in a long-term contract. “If he’s healthy, he’s a beast,” he said. “The problem is, if they want a big asset, you can’t do that. You can’t give a first-rounder for one year of a guy and then try to get him signed before UFA. (Agent Darren Ferris) is going to ask for seven times six and he had one f***ing goal last year.”

And therein lie all the problems/issues with signing/trading Andy

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Offer him what Jarmo thinks he would get in arbitration and offer him a bridge deal (1 or 2 years) and try to trade him when his stock is higher. Or keep him long term and pay him if he's worth it.

I just don't take that kind of risk (long term deal) on Wingers...even PFwingers.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
Boston fan here coming in peace, I noticed you guys are pretty strong on your RW and your LW's are starting to age and I am wondering what you guys think of an Anderson for Bjork and T. Frederic trade? Of course, it can be tweaked in some way if that isnt good enough. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Boston fan here coming in peace, I noticed you guys are pretty strong on your RW and your LW's are starting to age and I am wondering what you guys think of an Anderson for Bjork and T. Fredickson trade? Of course, it can be tweaked in some way if that isnt good enough. Your thoughts?
T Fredickson? No

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Boston fan here coming in peace, I noticed you guys are pretty strong on your RW and your LW's are starting to age and I am wondering what you guys think of an Anderson for Bjork and T. Frederic trade? Of course, it can be tweaked in some way if that isnt good enough. Your thoughts?

I like both Bjork and Frederic as players, and think Anderson should be trade bait as long as his trade value is still somewhat acceptable. That said, I don’t think those 2 guys are what the CBJ should or are looking for in return for Anderson. I think they would be looking for a 1 for 1 trade.

To add, I don’t think Bjork is good enough where he needs to be added to a group of mostly younger wingers that are in need for ice time. I’d prolly take Frederic over Wennberg as my 3/4C, but we already have Nash who plays a similar game, and I’m sure the team is looking for a most established and more offensive center.

Coyle?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I like both Bjork and Frederic as players, and think Anderson should be trade bait as long as his trade value is still somewhat acceptable. That said, I don’t think those 2 guys are what the CBJ should or are looking for in return for Anderson. I think they would be looking for a 1 for 1 trade.

To add, I don’t think Bjork is good enough where he needs to be added to a group of mostly younger wingers that are in need for ice time. I’d prolly take Frederic over Wennberg as my 3/4C, but we already have Nash who plays a similar game, and I’m sure the team is looking for a most established and more offensive center.

Coyle?

Coyle or Debrusk would be good.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Friedman said Anderson's camp asked for a long term deal but Columbus said no so now they're trying to see what the next step is for a contract. And to me, it sounded like long term as in 7 to 8 years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Friedman said Anderson's camp asked for a long term deal but Columbus said no so now they're trying to see what the next step is for a contract. And to me, it sounded like long term as in 7 to 8 years.

I don't think that's plausible. 26 year old PF with an awful injury history? It would be a stretch if his agent asked for 6 years, I think it gets laughed out of the room if it is any longer than that.

The only condition where I'd go 6 years with Josh is if he gave a good discount on his cap hit. Like $4.1m x 6. But I really have no idea what numbers they are negotiating around, crazy times we are living in.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What do think an offer sheet for Andy would look like? My guess it might bring a 1st and a 3rd. Considering the team making the offer would probably be one of the better teams probably not a good option.

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
What do think an offer sheet for Andy would look like? My guess it might bring a 1st and a 3rd. Considering the team making the offer would probably be one of the better teams probably not a good option.

I assumed trading Andy for futures could net a couple of seconds so I probably wouldn’t match it unless it was four years at less than 4.5m. Of course, whether he would sign that is a different matter.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Yes definitely it will be in the 1st+3rd range. But Josh's trade price can't be much more than that, so I imagine a trade would happen before it came to that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad