The Josh Anderson Thread

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Interesting article especially the part of how it could impact Cam. I'm sure lots of you will say keep them both but at some point the cap will become an issue.

Doesn't seem like a thing with Panarin and Bob up in the air. Dubinsky and Foligno will roll off in a couple of seasons and Savard may or may not roll off the next season. PLD and Werenski are the big RFA contracts.

Anderson gives them another look. I'm not all that concerned about it yet.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Andy is a beast. He's got size, speed, toughness and can score.

I think the terms top 6/bottome 6 are outmoded as ideally teams are built with a top line, middle 6 and a 4th line. On good teams the middle 6 include some capable scorers on each line. And on really good teams oneor two of the fourth liners can play up. For me, Andy is an ideal middle six guy and one of those capable goal scorers on that group. And he brings it pretty much all the time.

I agree with you but I’ll add it’s all about players complementing each other. If Tom Wilson can play top line on the Cup winners, Andy can be. Top linebacker player.

Reactions: mikeyp24

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I agree with you but I’ll add it’s all about players complementing each other. If Tom Wilson can play top line on the Cup winners, Andy can be. Top linebacker player.

Other than when they score goals :sarcasm:, I think this is a big problem with the Jackets roster. To me the pieces don't go together all that well.

As far as Andy middle or outside linebacker? :huh:

Reactions: mikeyp24

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I think there's also a reason why you want guys like Anderson on lower lines. He scores his goals off of turnovers, like last night, or blazing down the wing by himself, or in battles in front of the net. Meaning: you don't gain that much pairing him with great playmakers. I could be wrong but I don't think Tom Wilson ever had that much scoring touch when he was in the bottom six.

I recall making the same case about Cam Atkinson - that he didn't need Panarin, and I think I was maybe wrong about that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think there's also a reason why you want guys like Anderson on lower lines. He scores his goals off of turnovers, like last night, or blazing down the wing by himself, or in battles in front of the net. Meaning: you don't gain that much pairing him with great playmakers. I could be wrong but I don't think Tom Wilson ever had that much scoring touch when he was in the bottom six.

I recall making the same case about Cam Atkinson - that he didn't need Panarin, and I think I was maybe wrong about that.

I agree. I was just balancing the notion of ‘players like’ with specific players.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

This is why I question using Andy on the PP. Its not really in his wheelhouse.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is why I question using Andy on the PP. Its not really in his wheelhouse.

But he's earned it! :sarcasm: I do not think PP time should be used as a reward, it's a skill. I'm not sure if Andy has much to offer there, but he's been good at zone entries, which helps.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Anderson is going to shine playing with Cam and PLD

Watching him play against Vegas tonight was amazing, all over the ice

anyone who watched this game knows why the Bluejackets made the deal to protect him
Love Andy and I'm glad we kept him. He's a guy I want on this team.

I have questions about fit with him playing on the top line with Cam and PLD. It's true he played on the top line early last year. But that was with PLD and Bread - not Cam. Someone mentioned compared him with Tom Wilson playing on the Caps 1st line. But that line has Backstrom, a top level playmaker.

Our current top line consists of 3 really good players. But the playmaker of the group is Bread rather than the center. Now PLD is an excellent all around center worthy of a top line slot. But he's not a playmaker, nor is Andy who is a scorer. My question: to maximize the goal production Cam and PLD already provide, is a winger with playmaking skills needed?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Love Andy and I'm glad we kept him. He's a guy I want on this team.

I have questions about fit with him playing on the top line with Cam and PLD. It's true he played on the top line early last year. But that was with PLD and Bread - not Cam. Someone mentioned compared him with Tom Wilson playing on the Caps 1st line. But that line has Backstrom, a top level playmaker.

Our current top line consists of 3 really good players. But the playmaker of the group is Bread rather than the center. Now PLD is an excellent all around center worthy of a top line slot. But he's not a playmaker, nor is Andy who is a scorer. My question: to maximize the goal production Cam and PLD already provide, is a winger with playmaking skills needed?

I'll get chastised for this, but why not Wennberg? He's probably the next most skilled playmaker on the team, is defensively responsible, and has been productive on the top line before. If we don't add anyone, I think he's a fit.

Josh is a tremendous player, I think it'll be great if we can add a rush worthy center. Maybe Foudy is that guy?

Reactions: cslebn

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

To be clear, what I was saying months ago was that it’s all about fit with line groupings,not to get caught up in play style and line assignment, and that if Wilson can play top line, so can Andy.

The post does not compare the two players nor any of their teammates.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'll get chastised for this, but why not Wennberg? He's probably the next most skilled playmaker on the team, is defensively responsible, and has been productive on the top line before. If we don't add anyone, I think he's a fit.

Josh is a tremendous player, I think it'll be great if we can add a rush worthy center. Maybe Foudy is that guy?
I actually agree with you about Wennberg. Adding St.Louis to give him an outlet off the ice will hopefully get his head in the right place and he seems to slowly be gaining confidence. Hes going to be on this team for awhile so I say give him a chance to succeed because when he's on hs game he brings an element we desperately need

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
When Anderson is on, he could be a top liner. His problem isn't his skill, it's his consistency. I have doubts about him, PLD, and Cam being a line.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Collision course: Blue Jackets' Josh Anderson bounces back...

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Josh Anderson said he could not breathe for about 40 seconds after his high-speed collision with Tom Wilson on Tuesday night inside Nationwide Arena.
That wasn’t the scary part.
The Blue Jackets winger returned to the locker room midway through the first period and spent about 10 minutes hunched over unable to stand up straight.
That wasn’t the scary part.
It was the moment when every muscle in Anderson’s abdomen — where Wilson planted his right shoulder — seemed to seize up at once. The moment when the Blue Jackets’ trainers laid him face up on a table and lifted his legs perpendicular to his body in hopes of getting him some relief.
That was the scary part.
“My muscles started seizing and it was like a pain I had never felt before,” Anderson said. “So, I thought there was something seriously wrong.”
The agony lasted for about 10 minutes. And once it abated, Anderson did what so many NHL players tend to do. He grabbed his helmet and a stick and looked for somebody else to hit.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Where do you all think his next contract going to be? Like Tuch, which I believe was 6 years at 4.5 per?

I would say that would be a fine contract in a year, pretty team friendly. Seems in line with his current production, and could be a steal if he reaches his potential. But keep in mind that his agent is an ass hat, so negotiations probably won't be easy.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Tuch produces more assets than Andy, Andy slight edge in goals. Tuch is producing at a 65 pts per 82 games this year, Andy at 43. Andy has another year before contract so he can improve his numbers although I don't think his assets go up enough to get him to 65 pt level, Cap goes up. All in all, excluding his agent, I think 4.5 to 5 mill will be in the ballpark unless Andy goes for 30 goals next year. Term will also factor in.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Tuch produces more assets than Andy, Andy slight edge in goals. Tuch is producing at a 65 pts per 82 games this year, Andy at 43. Andy has another year before contract so he can improve his numbers although I don't think his assets go up enough to get him to 65 pt level, Cap goes up. All in all, excluding his agent, I think 4.5 to 5 mill will be in the ballpark unless Andy goes for 30 goals next year. Term will also factor in.

He'll do his best Boone impression in a contract year, and hit 40 goals. Just a hunch.

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
How untouchable is he? Would love him in Boston after seeing him in the playoffs. Major respect to your team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->