The Jiri Sekac Thread

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Is it possible this guy has more finish than he's showed? His shooting % right now is unsustainable, and he generally doesn't use his shot enough.

I hope he does cause the rest of his game is very strong, he looks alot more confident the last few games.

Great find by MB

The kid's 22 and producing at a .5ppg clip as a rookie with barely any PP time.

No doubt in my mind that once he's a mainstay on our 2nd line he'll pot 20 goals while being a defensively responsible player and a possession monster.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Easily Becoming my new favourite player.

I'm always looking for the puck to land on his stick.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Better younger version of Soderberg maybe ? I know I was pretty mad seeing Boston got this guy for basically nothing and he was such a beast last year, if Sekac can be at least as good, which looks likely right now, we're pretty lucky.. 925k cap hit next year too !!!!

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Btw, I'd love to see him play with Chucky and Patches some day... that would be a dreamy possession, fast, big and skilled line. Things are working well now so no need to change anything, but man that could be a very special trio.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Easily Becoming my new favourite player.

I'm always looking for the puck to land on his stick.

He's definitely fun to watch. A rare blend of strength, speed and conditioning. I'm always amazed when he dumps the puck, go retrieve it himself in full control and not pinned against the boards. He has good vision, makes pretty good passes. Feels to me like he's on the verge of unlocking god mode.

His puck protection, speed, skating style and conditioning reminds me a lot of Jagr. Of course Jagr also had everything else a hockey player can want.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Is it possible this guy has more finish than he's showed? His shooting % right now is unsustainable, and he generally doesn't use his shot enough.

I hope he does cause the rest of his game is very strong, he looks alot more confident the last few games.

Great find by MB

Yea his sh% will go down but I think he'll shoot more as he gains confidence. He's definitely less tentative now than he was at the start of the year.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Better younger version of Soderberg maybe ? I know I was pretty mad seeing Boston got this guy for basically nothing and he was such a beast last year, if Sekac can be at least as good, which looks likely right now, we're pretty lucky.. 925k cap hit next year too !!!!

The Bruins traded for Soderberg's rights in 2007. He wasn't a UFA signing.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
His conditioning and fitness must be off the charts

Plekanec called him Forrest Gump because he did the beep test to some ungodly 16 or 18. Whatever it was, can't recall exactly but it was enough for Plek to say that was his nickname.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He reminds me of a typical St Louis Blues forward... Big, strong, plays a 2way game, strong along the boards, can chip in offensively, good skater, smart IQ all around, great possession game..

Similar player to Alex Steen.

Excited to see Sekac's progression over the next couple of years, but he's definitely special. MB picked up a gem this summer.

Exactly. He's like being given a pre-developed, NHL ready 1st round pick. He has the skill, size, physical talent, drive and most importantly, smarts to be a great player. He's arguably my 2nd favourite Hab skater already. And arguably my 3rd favourite Hab behind Subban and Price.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I don't think he'll score 70 points. Realistically 40-60 points. He's the type of player that you see Detroit developing for years.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He looks like a more fancy Pacioretty out there. More natural skills, perhaps, but clearly not on his level in the shooting department. He reminds me a lot of Pacioretty in his earlier days, skating like a train and going hard along boards.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
if he becomes better than soderberg we'd be lucky as ****, I'm happy with a 2nd line winger who's defensively responsible who puts up 20-30 goals a year

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He's a relentless forchecker, and in my opinion, the best forchecker on the team already.

Rarely do you see sekac lose a puck battle, and even when it looks like he may have lost one, he finds a way to at least extend the battle.

On top of that, he's a responsible player that takes care of all three zones.

Shot wise, be has a good release... Works the boards well, which the habs really needed.

I believe I had him #4 on our HF prospect rankings in the summer, but you can make a case that he should have been as high as #1 now that we have seen him.

As far as comparisons go, I kind of see a middle class man's marian hossa in him, and that is no slight at all.

Last edited:

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
He is looking good and getting better as the season progresses. His tenacity and drive are exceptional, and he skates very well. I see him as a perennial 25-20, outside chance at 30-30, player who will also chip in on the defensive side of the game.

We basically got a 1st-round pick for nothing. A brilliant move on the part of Bergevin. With Andrighetto proving that his offesnive skils can translate to the NHL, and Hudon tearing it up in the AHL, we have a decent future with our forwards. However, we still need a superstar for us to be contenders for the Cup.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He is looking good and getting better as the season progresses. His tenacity and drive are exceptional, and he skates very well. I see him as a perennial 25-20, outside chance at 30-30, player who will also chip in on the defensive side of the game.

We basically got a 1st-round pick for nothing. A brilliant move on the part of Bergevin. With Andrighetto proving that his offesnive skils can translate to the NHL, and Hudon tearing it up in the AHL, we have a decent future with our forwards. However, we still need a superstar for us to be contenders for the Cup.

Price and subban are superstars.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
is he a UFA after his contract is up? not sure how undrafted FA signings work

Signed as undrafted FA. He will be a RFA after next year. Depending on how he does, he will skip the entry level contract. This is like his bridge contract. So we need to resign him for 4 years at $3.5 mil after this year.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Bournival's first year was like that until injuries. However Sekec is better and stronger than Bournival.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad