The Jiri Sekac Thread

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I mean, they were an elite team without star forwards.

You can win without them.

I understood your argument. I agree. But without star forwards, it's not sustainable.

Caro ****ing lina win a cup. Flukes happen with cap and parity.

You need to look at LA, at Chicago, at Detroit, at Tampa, at St. Louis for teams who are building for position and for success.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I understood your argument. I agree. But without star forwards, it's not sustainable.

Caro ****ing lina win a cup. Flukes happen with cap and parity.

You need to look at LA, at Chicago, at Detroit, at Tampa, at St. Louis for teams who are building for position and for success.

Not sure I'd include St-Louis in there. Their centers are just as bad as ours.

Regarding sustainable success, I think Boston easily could have sustained theirs. Chiarelli made a few costly mistakes and that's why Boston is where they're at right now. On top of that, they seem to be losing their tough guy/bully identity lately. Lucic has been a passenger for a while.

Whats funny is Boston would arguably have the 4th best center in the NHL on their top line at this very moment, but no, they have Loui instead. :laugh:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Regarding sustainable success, I think Boston easily could have sustained theirs. Chiarelli made a few costly mistakes and that's why Boston is where they're at right now. On top of that, they seem to be losing their tough guy/bully identity lately. Lucic has been a passenger for a while.

Whats funny is Boston would arguably have the 4th best center in the NHL on their top line at this very moment, but no, they have Loui instead. :laugh:

Seguin-Bergeron-Krejci-Soderberg down the middle... can you imagine lol

Add in a healthy Chara, an improving Hamilton and Rask and you might aswell hand them the cup :laugh:

Thank God they traded Seguin

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

No team is perfect with drafting or trading. Seguin is certainly their Mcdonaugh.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Boston isn't a great role model for success.

They had traded Raycroft and Kessel for Rask, Seguin, Hamilton. It will be hard to replicate.

Though what they did well was mine the UFA market. Chara is possibly the greatest UFA signing if all time. They also got Marc Savard on the UFA market which was a wise move even if it didn't work out.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Bournival got Therrien'd. Unfortunately couldn't recover:

2dlk96v.jpg
H

Gets icetime completely taken out after a couple games.
So his lack of production is because MT. Another myth. You guys are hilarious.

He's a good player but his lack of production has nothing to do with Therrien.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
So his lack of production is because MT. Another myth. You guys are hilarious.

He's a good player but his lack of production has nothing to do with Therrien.

Bournival is a good 4th liner, nothing more. I don't get people complaining he isn't playing upwards of 14 minutes a night anymore. That's a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

The irony is that those people were probably the same complaining when Darche was used on the top 2 lines...

Bournival is playing the amount of minutes a guy of his skill level should be playing, end of story.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Bournival got Therrien'd. Unfortunately couldn't recover:

2dlk96v.jpg

I never know if you're completely serious when you post, but if you're posting this one seriously, I don't think I should even bother answering, but here I go anyway;

If all it took to break Bournival's offensive game was 8 games of being used less as an NHL rookie, he has the mental toughness of a 12 years old.

Bournival never was gifted offensively. I don't like the player, never bought into the hype neither. The only mistake they did was to hand him a spot on the roster too soon. That's when he started declining.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
«Selon moi, il a la capacité d’être un marqueur de 30 buts dans cette ligue.», Jakub Voracek au sujet de Sekac.

Voracek saying Cakes has 30G potential

I said it during training camp, and i'll say it again. Sekac has the ability to become the best forward on our team. I'm standing by this statement.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I never know if you're completely serious when you post, but if you're posting this one seriously, I don't think I should even bother answering, but here I go anyway;

If all it took to break Bournival's offensive game was 8 games of being used less as an NHL rookie, he has the mental toughness of a 12 years old.

Bournival never was gifted offensively. I don't like the player, never bought into the hype neither. The only mistake they did was to hand him a spot on the roster too soon. That's when he started declining.

Pretty much this.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Bournival never was gifted offensively. I don't like the player, never bought into the hype neither. The only mistake they did was to hand him a spot on the roster too soon. That's when he started declining

Pretty much this.

NiceSilverGorilla.gif

ROSSter

Jul 5, 2011
Bounival is on this team because he hustles, skates hard and is willing to play MT's system. He's filler on this team and will likely have a ceiling of the 3rd line. But even as filler, he's still useful. I don't mind him on the Habs at all.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
He's a dime a dozen, good player brought in too soon. No offensive game to speak of and I doubt that it ever changes.

He'll be a decent bottom 6er.

Pascal Dupuis should be a dime-a-dozen player too. But, you know, somehow he plays above the level that any of skill suggest he should be able to play at (even with Crosby).

Edit: But I agree. He should be a decent bottom 6er which is pretty darn good for a 3rd round pick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I see him as an Eriksson clone.

He seems like the exact same type of player as him.

I don't see it but that would be outstanding if so. Really impressed with Sekac's play though but we'll have to see how he does over a full season and in the playoffs.

Bournival got Therrien'd. Unfortunately couldn't recover

I know everything is MT's fault around here but Bournival went into a massive slump after a hot start to the year. From November on he didn't score a single goal until the last few games of the season.

Holy ****. Such negativity about a guy that hasn't even played a full season in the NHL.

I can understand it as you have to produce in this league, as we are a team that is hopefully trying to win now and can't make excuses when said young players don't produce. Although I'm really, really down on the development of AHL players since Lefebvre took over. The effort is clearly there but at some point he's going to have to produce some goals.

He's only 22 and has limited playing time give him a break.

If you count the playoffs + regular season he has scored 1 goal in 59 games, that's really poor production especially when you consider he started off so well but it's like his offensive game has gone into a black hole. Of course posters are going to point it out no matter what his age is. That said hopefully he can get back on track at some point. Really felt the Habs should have left him in the AHL last year or at the very least sent him back when he went month after month without a single goal as that had to be really hard on his confidence.

Lorty

May 7, 2013
You guys keep saying he went into a slump, but he was put on the fourth line for many games. Of course you're not going to score often if you have really limited ice time.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Pascal Dupuis should be a dime-a-dozen player too. But, you know, somehow he plays above the level that any of skill suggest he should be able to play at (even with Crosby).

Edit: But I agree. He should be a decent bottom 6er which is pretty darn good for a 3rd round pick.

1 goal in 59 games, not much better in the play making department. Sure his playing time has been limited and for good reason. 30 points in 70 games in the AHL, there is a bit of a track-record here. His offensive game is very limited, but he hustles and can contribute on the bottom lines.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You guys keep saying he went into a slump, but he was put on the fourth line for many games. Of course you're not going to score often if you have really limited ice time.

wouldn't you call it a slump? He started off in the first 6-7 weeks of the season with 6 goals, then went from the last week of Nov through the month of Dec, then Jan, then Feb, then March and never scored a goal the entire time. No matter what line you are on, that's a slump.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Completely agree that Bournival is next to worthless for the Habs. An oft-injured non-physical 4th liner.

First of all his too ripped shape can lead to all those injuries. Football players mostly eschew that too cut frame because they believe that removes the natural padding required for a contact sport.

Secondly the Good Lord save us from having a soft 4th line like in the days of Juneau/Dackell.

I mean the only thing he's got going for him is speed so please stop blaming Therrien for him getting pushed out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad