The Jets have had zero 1st-round busts to date

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Tampa could give them a run. Outside of top 2 picks+ Vasilevskiy, our first round has been abysmal almost our entire history.

We clean up in the later rounds though.
You think that's good drafting or pure luck? I think it's luck and I'm not crapping on tbay, habs fans give their scouts a lot of credit for late round picks that turn out

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Jets drafting has been phenomenal. We built a great nucleus for years to come. Only question mark in my opinion that remains to be seen is Stanley who I wasn’t happy we traded up for, however by all accounts he has been getting better and better. If he can be a 4,5 guy at this point I would be happy with.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Good drafting, better development, and a few pinches of good luck. Very impressive what Chevy and the Jets have managed to put together through the draft.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
What's even better is that we haven't traded any of our 1st or 2nd round prospects.
Our 2015 draft was a grand slam - Connor, Roslovic, Harkins, Foley, Spacek, Appleton, Niku. We traded Foley, but it was something that needed to be done.

Lowry, Hellebuyck, Copp, and Niku were all drafted in the 3rd round or later, too. Our US scouts are top notch.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What's even better is that we haven't traded any of our 1st or 2nd round prospects.
Our 2015 draft was a grand slam - Connor, Roslovic, Harkins, Foley, Spacek, Appleton, Niku. We traded Foley, but it was something that needed to be done.

Lowry, Hellebuyck, Copp, and Niku were all drafted in the 3rd round or later, too. Our US scouts are top notch.
yes, yes they are....no mention of Dylan Samberg, the next stud to come up with the Jets.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ok I mean by that logic, Vegas hasn't drafted a bust with any of their picks in any round because they all still have a chance to be NHL players.
I mean. That's objectively true. No one considers guys past the first round to be busts when they don't make it. And Glass, Suzuki, and Brannstrom all look like future NHLers.

Reactions: DRW204

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
It was a bad pick, but the thought of Stanley ever becoming an NHL regular is less laughable now than it was a year ago. He IS developing...slowly. Last off-season I would have bet that he would never play 100 NHL games in his career, but I'm not so sure that I would take that bet anymore.

He was a huge part of the Rangers success last spring in the playoffs. I would not be surprised at all if he makes the NHL as a regular.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They nailed some important picks later in drafts with some consistency, too.

Lowry, Hellebuyck, Copp, Niku, etc. They are one of the better and younger teams in the NHL, built mostly through the draft since 2011.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Logan Stanley’s is a 100% sure bust tho.

Not yet.
He’s the most likely to bust but it’s not confirmed yet.
After they drafted Laine I think they e organization decided to take a shot on someone who was a risk but could pay off several years down the road.

Jets fans were mad because we traded our 2nd to move up and take him. That seems to be the bigger mistake then taking him. Which isn’t his fault.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Not that insane when half of those picks are in the top 10 (and it's not like we know if Roslovic or Vesalinen will pan out), you should be able to hit pretty consistently with your top 10 picks imo.
The Thrashers didn't.

Also, most people who have watched them expect Roslovic and Vesalainen to make it. It just remains to be seen if they'll be more than middle-6 forwards but they should at least be solid. Vesalainen probably needs 0.5-1 year of AHL (could be like Connor last year, or could need a full season there).

I think the expectations for Stanley were lowered so much that some people on the Jets board were impressed with him in preseason. I thought he looked awful. So I expect Stanley will be a bust.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I bet Stanley breaks the streak. not too many 6'7 dmen make it these days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad