Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Trouba, Lindgren and Goodrow have all been rock solid in the playoffs. The odds of any of them being gone next year are low in my opinion

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Trouba, Lindgren and Goodrow have all been rock solid in the playoffs. The odds of any of them being gone next year are low in my opinion
I don't know what the heck is gonna happen with those three but I can tell you this Goodrow is playing better and I'm sure a team out there would trade for him. Certainly not attaching an asset to trade him.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'd argue that elevating their value may actually mean a team steps up to acquire them. Goodrow specifically as the team appears to have internal cheaper options

Rangers value team chemistry, as do I. I don’t see any of them moved barring something unforeseen with the cap

Reactions: haveandare

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
So can we start comparing this team to the 1994 team?

Both teams began the playoffs 7-0!

Just for fun, here is my comparison:

Centers:
Messier vs. Zibanejad
Clearly Messier was the better player. But Zibanejad is really stepping up his game in these playoffs!

Nemchinov vs. Trochek
It’s crazy to me that Nemchinov was our #2 center for that cup run and only had 7 points in 23 playoff games? Trocheck is quite a bit more talented I think.

MacTavish vs. Wennberg
Not too far off I think

Olcyk vs Goodrow
Olcyk only played 1 playoff game so who was 4th line center?

Wingers:
Graves vs Kreider
These two are Very similar !

Matteau vs. Kakko
I would like Kakko to become at least Matteau one day

Tikkanen vs. Cuylle
Would love for Cuylle to become a Tikkanen

Kovalev vs. Panarin
Panarin is better of course. But both guys had some ups and downs and both stepped it up in the Cup run …hopefully!

Larmer vs Lafreniere
Tons of similarities here! Both bring a really good finishing touch to the top 6!

Noonan vs Roslovic
I see them as very similar. Both a bit inconsistent at times but both have good talent.

G.Anderson vs. Chytil
Both good playmakers with good size. I think Chytil can one day develop into something similar.

Kocur vs. Rempe
Big size difference but both have huge impact on crowd when they play.

Gilbert vs Vesey
Close enough

Defense:
Leetch vs Fox
Similar roles but Leetch was the more dominant and better skating D of course

Beukeboom vs Trouba
Very similar in size, style, speed(or lack of it). One big hit can change game

Zubov vs Miller
Zubov much better offensively but Miller still has upside

Lowe vs. Lindgren
Similar

Karpovtsev vs Schneider
Good 2-way D

Wells vs Gustafsson
I’ll take Gustafsson probably

Goalies:
Shesterkin vs Richter
Both elite

Reactions: LannyMcdonald

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'd argue that elevating their value may actually mean a team steps up to acquire them. Goodrow specifically as the team appears to have internal cheaper options
Rangers value team chemistry, as do I. I don’t see any of them moved barring something unforeseen with the cap
You’re right. Goodie has been getting better since the last month of the reg season.
It was a terrible year for him, and that body has a lot of hard miles on it as well.
The guy just raises his game in the playoffs. A timely goal/ strong D/PK, his physicality, etc
Trouba was excellent yesterday.
Lindgren is also coming off his worst season to date, but prior years of play, and being on the right side of 30, I doubt he falls off a cliff as hard as many say/think.
Injuries/life/sickness/family things etc etc. shit just happens
Guys have down years….
I wonder how many HF coaches want to trade Zibby at all costs now???
Or split up Zibby and Kreider?
Buyout/retain on trade of Panarin???? That wasn’t too long ago either…..
What’s incredible is how close and how well this team has performed to adversity and keeps persevering….
98% will likely be back next year. I don’t expect a 120 pt year again from bread, but I don’t expect a poor 5v5 year from Mika either.

Some may get their wish and maybe 1 of Goodrow/trouba/Lindgren may be moved in the offseason, but to deal all 3, that’s a ton of leadership and lockeroom presence headed out the door.
I just don’t see it…..
not with a full time rookie in jones in the top 6 D
And at least 1-2 full time rookies in the top 12 Fwds (likely Edstrom and Berard)

Roslovic/Gus/and likely Wennberg will all price themselves out of here at years end. For now, enjoy the ride, cause it’s been great.
But I’m still realistic of what kind of team Lavi is going to ice next season

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
If that were true, they'd be playing over him. They are better offensively. That doesn't make them better suited to play 1LD.

Lindgren and Gus had nearly identical ice time at 5v5 last night. i think Gus would be fine with Fox, but we also have Miller who could be the 1LD (according to ice time he already is). i wouldn't be worried at all with Miller-Gus-Jones down the left side next year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If that were true, they'd be playing over him. They are better offensively. That doesn't make them better suited to play 1LD.

Do you think the Rangers could find a UFA who could fill in that Lindgren spot for a couple of years until a longer term option is found?

I look at the list of pending UFA's and I could see more than a few guys filling that role:
Dillon
Cole
Walker
Ekman-Larsson

The team really would only need a specific type of LD to fit there, not someone who cna play 22+ minutes a night.

On RD, it's a bit easier to find someone who could likely at least replace Trouba's minutes. Roy, Demelo, Zadorov, Kulikov.

Low key, I wouldn't hate taking a flyer on Kylington out of Calgary.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Do you think the Rangers could find a UFA who could fill in that Lindgren spot for a couple of years until a longer term option is found?

I look at the list of pending UFA's and I could see more than a few guys filling that role:
Dillon
Cole
Walker
Ekman-Larsson

The team really would only need a specific type of LD to fit there, not someone who cna play 22+ minutes a night.

On RD, it's a bit easier to find someone who could likely at least replace Trouba's minutes. Roy, Demelo, Zadorov, Kulikov.

I don't think Dillon or Walker will come any cheaper than Lindgren, OEL is bad, Cole is fine but I'm pretty sure he's permanently locked in to the veteran 3rd pair D role at this point.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Dillon
Cole
Walker
Ekman-Larsson

That list isn't very inspiring. I just don't see the point of moving Lindgren unless we are adding a clear upgrade.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That list isn't very inspiring. I just don't see the point of moving Lindgren unless we are adding a clear upgrade.

I could see a desire to add a player who could add some size on the left side if the thought is to play Jones and re-sign Gustafsson though. All guys 6'0 or smaller?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Replied in here after the game winner last night by accident lol

Signing Artemi Panarin was an acceptable Roster move.
So’s bringing Trocheck who “would block Chytil and we won’t be able to resign” smh!

Let’s leave this to summer. So far Goodrow has made great contributions to this run.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Dillon
Cole
Walker
Ekman-Larsson

It depends on what Lindgren will look for on his next contract in terms of both dollars and term. If both of these are acceptable from the Rangers perspective I’d rather keep Lindgren as a “Ranger we know” rather than anyone from this list. And unless there’s a MAJOR meltdown - IMO this is how it’s going to play out.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It’s not there. And won’t be unless There’s a trade.
Lindgren and Gus had nearly identical ice time at 5v5 last night. i think Gus would be fine with Fox, but we also have Miller who could be the 1LD (according to ice time he already is). i wouldn't be worried at all with Miller-Gus-Jones down the left side next year.
I like Gus. But he’s a bottom pairing guy. He’s always been that. He had some great years in Chicago, then cal signed him to a bigger $$ deal and gave him a bigger opportunity, and it didn’t go well.
Gus also hit a rough patch for us near the end of the season…
He’s been solid in the playoffs, and at 800k a damn bargain for us.
But top 4 min against other teams best, didn’t really fare well for him.
Lindgren has a prior history of solid top pair/top 4 mins against other teams best. Hes also younger.
I think Lindgren gets way too much shit on this site, more than he deserves, but that’s my opinion.
Does his body take a beating? Sure.
Did he have a good year? No. And I’m sure injuries added to it.
Do I think he’s cooked at 25-26…. No

I don’t want him at a 30 plus contract. I don’t even want him here beyond age 30 at all. But on a 4-5 year deal, with low cap hit and no clauses he’s a tradeable asset that covers the rangers ass until they for sure know they have a new replacement.
Other teams don’t like playing against Lindgren. He plays a tough game and is respected by other teams better players…
He’s also foxs partner and best friend and a leader in this team.
Chemistry is a real and important thing. This NYR team has an air about them. They are resilient and talented, but they don’t rattle and the believe in themselves and each other. That is a rare and special thing in pro sports nowadays.
They make “ no quit in NY” not a t-shirt slogan but a real thing.
I’m hesitant to immediately go ripping that apart right away, especially for guys who may be better.
No obviously there’s going to be some turn over and change due to raises/cap new contracts etc
but next year

Kreider-Zibby-Kakko/Berard
Panarin-Tro-Laf
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko/berard
Goodrow/UFA vet-Edstrom-Vesey
Rempe/Brod

Lindgren-fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Trouba
UFA 6-7 D

Shesty
Quick

Isn’t a ton of turnover from what we currently have. And we have cheap reinforcements on the way as well.
No doubt they’ll add at the TDL too when cap is not an issue.

The main crux of this team and its leadership might be here for a few more seasons. I’m ok with that tbh.
If they win the cup, maybe things change more next season? Now everyone is a cup winner.

trading/Drafting for a large LD In the mold of Kaiden Guhle should certainly be on the radar. I just don’t see the rush to abandon Lindgren over the next year or 2. Possibly 3.
I’d prefer a younger guy like Guhle. But Sanheim from the flyers is a very intriguing trade target for me as well.
He’s 6’4 225 and good.
I know flyers are a division rival, but they look to be on the cusp of a full on rebuild.
Sanheim being 28 might be moved.
Jones and Fox are smaller guys, I want the rest of our D to be large mobile players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kendo

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Or he prices himself out, obviously.
I'm not worried about that. He doesn't score enough to command a significant raise.

At 26, Girardi got a 4-year deal @ 3.325 mil. At the time, he had 80 points in 280 games.

Lindgren has 80 points in 333 games. Lindgren will get a higher AAV due to a higher cap, but I can't see it being more than 4.5 mil. Give him 17 mil over 4 years with a limited NTC.

The other option is to trade for a better dman, but that dman is probably going to cost more in terms of cap, in addition to whatever we pay in assets to acquire him.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Gus has been horrendous for months now. Same in the playoffs, he is constantly lost in the d end letting his man get open for goals, he can’t handle the puck, his passes have been crap, and all of his shots are getting blocked. Let Gus walk in the offseason, and let jones play his spot.

This is a no brainer. Jones has more than earned the 3LD spot next to Trouba next year. Add a 7D from the bargain bin like they did with Gus this year. Drury has made good moves around the margins for years

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

We are gonna need the space. Paying $8m to a defenseman who is on your third pair before he becomes not a negative… isn’t great roster construction.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad