The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My rankings (subject to change beaded on future signings)

Tampa
Boston
NY Islanders
Carolina

———
Philadelphia
Washington

———
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Toronto

———
Florida
Montreal
Buffalo
NY Rangers

———
New Jersey
Ottawa
Detroit

I’d say 4 locks (barring several injuries) and 3 teams with no hope. 9 teams in the middle that will be sorted out by injuries, goalie play, how veterans age, and how youngsters progress.

Fair list that’s similar to mine, but.....I’m knocking Boston down because of key injuries (Pasta, Rat and McAvoy) and I think the Rangers will be competing with us.

Now Covid makes for possible one season changes and I heard a lot of talk today about creating an all Canadian division with US teams reconfigured into 3 divisions (travel issues). That would sure change the dynamics. And I see it as a realistic possibility.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
If I had to guess on the CBJ internal cap, I would say the discussion went something like this;

Jarmo; “If I can land a big time winger to solve our offense, can I spend to the cap?”
Priest or McConnell; “ Can you land a big time winger during UFA or via trade?”
Jarmo: “I will have to trim some salary to sign our guys and land the winger”
P or M: “If you trim some salary and don’t land the big fish, what are you going to do with the space?”
Jarmo: “I save the space for when somebody gets real tight when camps close and everybody needs to get under the cap.”
P or M: “What if nobody gets squeezed?”
Jarmo: “Then we save the $$$ and we see what the world looks like at the trade deadline”
P or M: “Good answer”. Good luck going after your winger to put us in the Eastern Conference Finals”.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You’re correct but Vegas was desperate. I don’t think we were.

Looking at the way the market is going, it might have been prudent to get ahead of the market, to sell before becoming desperate. It is hard to imagine having to pay to unload players as good as Nuti and Murray but we might see that sort of thing come to pass in the late offseason.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Looking at the way the market is going, it might have been prudent to get ahead of the market, to sell before becoming desperate. It is hard to imagine having to pay to unload players as good as Nuti and Murray but we might see that sort of thing come to pass in the late offseason.
Vegas certainly just did that to secure Petro.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I had to guess on the CBJ internal cap, I would say the discussion went something like this;

Jarmo; “If I can land a big time winger to solve our offense, can I spend to the cap?”
Priest or McConnell; “ Can you land a big time winger during UFA or via trade?”
Jarmo: “I will have to trim some salary to sign our guys and land the winger”
P or M: “If you trim some salary and don’t land the big fish, what are you going to do with the space?”
Jarmo: “I save the space for when somebody gets real tight when camps close and everybody needs to get under the cap.”
P or M: “What if nobody gets squeezed?”
Jarmo: “Then we save the $$$ and we see what the world looks like at the trade deadline”
P or M: “Good answer”. Good luck going after your winger to put us in the Eastern Conference Finals”.

That might be it. Or it might be more like this:

McConnell: "I'm taking a huge hit in this pandemic, I can't lose twenty million dollars on the Jackets."
Jarmo: "Don't you have any giant boats you can sell?"
McConnell: "It says here you spent $7.2m on Nutria and Murray, two guys you are barely using?"
Jarmo: "Sure I'll move them. But the team is close, we just need a topline winger and we'll have a good shot at a deep run that will pay for it."
McConnell: "And you think there is a player on the market that is going to do that for us?"
Jarmo: "Well, the free agent wingers are not actually that good.... I was thinking more like a trade."
McConnell: "Hey if you think you can pull off another Panarin trade, give me a call. I'm not overpaying for a free agent."

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Another Panarin trade might be getting Gusev out of NJD. I think he’s now used to the NHL game and could break out with adequate line mates.

This might be a low risk trade, he’s got one year remaining at $4.5m. If he doesn’t rise to expectations, you let him go, but he’s actually got the potential to be close to Panarin playmaking level

Last edited:

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Right now, Jarmo is not making me happy this offseason. Of course, I know he's got one more move up his sleeve.

I was hoping this to be the case too but from what I've read and heard Jarmo is done for now. I won't rule out him adding something around the trade deadline next season depending on where the team is in the standings but this is the team.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
But for a technicality this wasn't going to be a playoff team in 2020.

Did we get significantly better? I don't think so.
We weren't because there were a lot of question marks. We now know the majority of these question marks have turned into solid players that will only continue to get better. Seriously, we gave the Stanley Cup champs a great series, now we're no longer good enough to beat out aging teams in Wsh and Pit, unproven teams like the Devils and Rangers? I take us over Philly and Carolina, I think the Islanders are the best Metro team but even they have question marks.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
That might be it. Or it might be more like this:

McConnell: "I'm taking a huge hit in this pandemic, I can't lose twenty million dollars on the Jackets."
Jarmo: "Don't you have any giant boats you can sell?"
McConnell: "It says here you spent $7.2m on Nutria and Murray, two guys you are barely using?"
Jarmo: "Sure I'll move them. But the team is close, we just need a topline winger and we'll have a good shot at a deep run that will pay for it."
McConnell: "And you think there is a player on the market that is going to do that for us?"
Jarmo: "Well, the free agent wingers are not actually that good.... I was thinking more like a trade."
McConnell: "Hey if you think you can pull off another Panarin trade, give me a call. I'm not overpaying for a free agent."

I imagine this is close to the conversation. How can we save money while not fundamentally altering the competitiveness of the team. Discussions will need to be had before making any big moves that would add money.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The term "bubble team" is not a bad thing.
Would you call the Islanders a "bubble team"?
How about Philadelphia? Or Pittsburgh?

Because, historically, when I see this team described as a "bubble team" around here, it's less about the chance to make the playoffs and more about presuming that we'll miss. It's damning with faint praise.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Would you call the Islanders a "bubble team"?
How about Philadelphia? Or Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh is not a bubble team. They got rid of the anchor that was holding them back. He is now on the Rangers.
It’s a fascinating concept known as “addition by subtraction.”
I hear Jack Johnson’s favorite television show is “The Weakest Link”.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This board has gone bonkers. The term "bubble team" is not a bad thing. It means you have a chance to make the playoffs. They have made it to the playoffs the last three seasons in the 8th position fighting all the way to the end. That's a bubble team. This season will be no different.

Preach.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
We ain't a bubble team, we got two centers that are top 6 centers; one a goal scorer (big, drives the net) and another that is a playmaker. I see both as equally proven and skilled in their own way. I'm excited to see which actually becomes our number 1 center. Lets see how PLD and Domi respond to a little friendly competitions for 1st line duties. Maybe that explains why Korpi and Merz did what they did...and you want to trade one? We got the best pairing on D in the entire league. And we got 1b/1b in goal who might be 1a/1a. Then Jarmo picks up Grigs who could have a huge payoff, either finding his game (being a top 6 player) or he is a bottom 6 who we can resign (if he's good enough) and can help with the top end russian talent that will be coming over in the next few years.

He is moving the team forward (yall still talking about player who are long gone) while ignoring the fact Jarmo has done more for this organization than ANYONE not name McConnell.

In Howson we trust? But not Jarmo? Come on,

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We ain't a bubble team, we got two centers that are top 6 centers; one a goal scorer (big, drives the net) and another that is a playmaker. I see both as equally proven and skilled in their own way. I'm excited to see which actually becomes our number 1 center. Lets see how PLD and Domi respond to a little friendly competitions for 1st line duties. Maybe that explains why Korpi and Merz did what they did...and you want to trade one? We got the best pairing on D in the entire league. And we got 1b/1b in goal who might be 1a/1a. Then Jarmo picks up Grigs who could have a huge payoff, either finding his game (being a top 6 player) or he is a bottom 6 who we can resign (if he's good enough) and can help with the top end russian talent that will be coming over in the next few years.

He is moving the team forward (yall still talking about player who are long gone) while ignoring the fact Jarmo has done more for this organization than ANYONE not name McConnell.

In Howson we trust? But not Jarmo? Come on,
Most people are too impatient and constantly want a shiny new toy year after year.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Most people are too impatient and constantly want a shiny new toy year after year.

Most "people" have been patiently waiting for 20 years for management to build a championship team. How many times does this need to be said. It's not just about plugging in player x or player y and this is definitely way more than "shiny new toy" syndrome. How about management building a cup contending team as it has been the stated goal since the very beginning of this franchise.

So now Jarmo may have his sites set on next offseason when Jones and Werenski need long term contracts and pretty much everyone will be off the books. Domi may command too much as a UFA in two years. Texier may have to move to center. Most of the team is still very young. The Russian prospects will start coming over in a couple years. Looks like more patience will be needed.

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Most "people" have been patiently waiting for 20 years for management to build a championship team. How many times does this need to be said. It's not just about plugging in player x or player y and this is definitely way more than "shiny new toy" syndrome. How about management building a cup contending team as it has been the stated goal since the very beginning of this franchise.

So now Jarmo may have his sites set on next offseason when Jones and Werenski need long term contracts and pretty much everyone will be off the books. Domi may command too much as a UFA in two years. Texier may have to move to center. Most of the team is still very young. The Russian prospects will start coming over in a couple years. Looks like more patience will be needed.
The Jackets have been a playoff team for the last 4 seasons, it's not like they aren't competitive. There's been teams waiting 50+ years for a cup. 20 years is nothing. You can't expect Panarin type deals every off-season. You have to take small incremental steps and be patient and wait for your moment. Which is what Jarmo is doing. Instead of opening up the vault to someone like Hall, he's waiting to get what he wants. Waiting for some team to show a little bit of desperation and that's when he will strike and make something happen.

Reactions: thebus88

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The Jackets have been a playoff team for the last 4 seasons, it's not like they aren't competitive.

Woop de FN doo. Glad your satisfied.

It ain't good enough. And I don't have blind trust in Jarmo getting things done. He's made enough decisions over his time that can be questioned. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

It ain't good enough. And I don't have blind trust in Jarmo getting things done. He's made enough decisions over his time that can be questioned. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore.
The moves he's made the position he has the team is arguably better than most in the league. It not only takes skill and savy moves, it takes a little luck as well.

If Columbus had the draw of a Toronto/NY/coastal team it'd be easier to build a perennial contender. But we aren't and the management and players have done a helluva job since 2013 to change not only the attitude within the locker room, but the perception of Columbus as a legitimate hockey town and a legitimate threat to anyone in the league.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
The Jackets have been a playoff team for the last 4 seasons, it's not like they aren't competitive. There's been teams waiting 50+ years for a cup. 20 years is nothing. You can't expect Panarin type deals every off-season. You have to take small incremental steps and be patient and wait for your moment. Which is what Jarmo is doing. Instead of opening up the vault to someone like Hall, he's waiting to get what he wants. Waiting for some team to show a little bit of desperation and that's when he will strike and make something happen.

Without looking up each and every one of them I would guess every one of those teams waiting on a cup have come way closer than the Jackets have in the past 50 years.

As for waiting for teams to get desperate, I'm still waiting on Jarmo to weaponize all the cap space he had last season and did nothing with. Brick by brick is a great strategy until all those bricks want to get paid more which is going to happen the next couple off-seasons. It doesn't take 7+ years to build a contender. While Jarmo is waiting on the perfect moment to strike teams are passing the Jackets by.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Wow, are we ever spoiled.

I find it curious that this metric puts teams like Vegas, Dallas, and Philadelphia in the same "horrible hopeless failures" category as teams like Florida, Arizona, Atlanta (they played during those 20 years, they count), and Buffalo. Not to mention every single Canadian team, both New York City teams, Nashville, San Jose, and Minnesota - all of which (save Minnesota) have waited even longer than we have. It's kind of overly broad w/r/t judging team ability and value. Rather a hopelessly poor metric in that regard. Indeed, I would even go so far as to call it a bullshit metric.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Without looking up each and every one of them I would guess every one of those teams waiting on a cup have come way closer than the Jackets have in the past 50 years.
I'm sure that Leafs fans are so very comforted by how even though Kerry Fraiser ostensibly cheated them out of a Cup final trip in the early 90s, at least that means they can be argued to exceed the Columbus Blue Jackets in terms of how close they've been to winning a cup since the Original Six era.

Come the f*** on. This isn't even an attempt at an argument; it's hyperbolic bullshit masquerading as an attempt to rationalize "wahhhh I didn't get a SECOND shiny new toy this offseason".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad