The "I guess we're tanking" thread--Projections

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
The team is not going to tank. The team also is VERY unlikely to make the playoffs.

In sum, the season is a waste and we probably won't need to tune into the draft before the 2nd round.

I disagree about waiting until the 2nd round. We are going to unload someone that brings back a first rounder, just not our own.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Ottawa beats the Preds in OT. Good for the tank. Love when bottom feeders win

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think entering this season there was some definite over-valuing. Dunn got over-valued as we expected him to grow, as opposed to the very common sophomore slump. Our young players all had insanely high expectations. Parayko is always a bit over-rated. But I don't think over-valuing of players can be the complete answer as to why we are as bad as we are. Sure, if people thought this was a Stanley Cup front-runner, they over-valued our talent. But that is a long way from being a bottom-5 in the league team. I don't think that there is a credible argument that we have bottom-5 talent.
I think Dunn ran into some over confidence after last year, but the coaching has been a much larger reason for his setback. Regardless, my opinion of him hasn’t changed. He can still be a legit #3 guy, possibly even a #2D. He can be much better defensively. We saw massive strides he was making last year. This year has been different. He can get back on course. But, these next couple years are a critical time in his development. We cannot have the type of coaching we are having next year if we want to avoid ruining him.

Parayko has been overrated by a good sized group and adequately assessed by another group. I think some project his potential into his actual play at times. Regardless, he is a #2 level guy right now, with the potential to be higher.

If he could just get passed his Breweritis that would really help his game. How many miscues has he made with errant passes this year? If he would focus on the overall ice a bit more, I think his game would clean itself up.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Am I the only one that wouldn’t be completely upset if the pick ended up 11-15? Obviously I’d love a top 5 pick. I don’t see us outsucking the suckiest teams this year so the only way I see us ending in that position is if we hit on a lottery pick. If we end up 8-10, Army should keep the pick, as the team has the ability to turn it around next year, and you can’t send the message to your fan base that you think your team is going to be worse next year.

But this team very well could suck next year and the finality of being done with the pick (if >10) would definitely provide me with a sense of relief going into next season. Does anybody see us more than a bubble team next season, best case scenario (picks 13 to 19)?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think Dunn ran into some over confidence after last year, but the coaching has been a much larger reason for his setback. Regardless, my opinion of him hasn’t changed. He can still be a legit #3 guy, possibly even a #2D. He can be much better defensively. We saw massive strides he was making last year. This year has been different. He can get back on course. But, these next couple years are a critical time in his development. We cannot have the type of coaching we are having next year if we want to avoid ruining him.

Parayko has been overrated by a good sized group and adequately assessed by another group. I think some project his potential into his actual play at times. Regardless, he is a #2 level guy right now, with the potential to be higher.

If he could just get passed his Breweritis that would really help his game. How many miscues has he made with errant passes this year? If he would focus on the overall ice a bit more, I think his game would clean itself up.

I don't disagree with any of this. By over-valued, I meant where Dunn would be for the coming season. I agree with your assessment of his upside. I think people were expecting him to hit his potential this year with no speed bumps, which is generally unrealistic for such a young player.

Reactions: Celtic Note

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Am I the only one that wouldn’t be completely upset if the pick ended up 11-15? Obviously I’d love a top 5 pick. I don’t see us outsucking the suckiest teams this year so the only way I see us ending in that position is if we hit on a lottery pick. If we end up 8-10, Army should keep the pick, as the team has the ability to turn it around next year, and you can’t send the message to your fan base that you think your team is going to be worse next year.

But this team very well could suck next year and the finality of being done with the pick (if >10) would definitely provide me with a sense of relief going into next season. Does anybody see us more than a bubble team next season, best case scenario (picks 13 to 19)?
I'm not sure I understand your post here. If the pick is 11+ this year we don't get a choice, it goes to Buffalo. If it's top 10 we keep it and next year's pick, even if it's 1st overall, goes to Buffalo. I think we absolutely should target a top ten pick this year. The playoffs are all but out of the question at this point, so what good does catching fire the last half season do? I guess it builds confidence for next season, but it also likely keeps Berube in charge, and if we want substantial progress next year that's a bad thing. I want us to be as bad as possible this year, ship off some of the problem children and see if we can rebound next year and stick Buffalo with a 20+ pick. It's not like it's never happened before, especially if we end up in the top 3 and that pick is an immediate help next year.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I want to embrace the tank. DA should not be in any hurry to name a new coach until he has "cast the net wide" and determined he can get the best available to coincide with the vision of being a young, speedy, and skilled team.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I'm not sure I understand your post here. If the pick is 11+ this year we don't get a choice, it goes to Buffalo. If it's top 10 we keep it and next year's pick, even if it's 1st overall, goes to Buffalo. I think we absolutely should target a top ten pick this year. The playoffs are all but out of the question at this point, so what good does catching fire the last half season do? I guess it builds confidence for next season, but it also likely keeps Berube in charge, and if we want substantial progress next year that's a bad thing. I want us to be as bad as possible this year, ship off some of the problem children and see if we can rebound next year and stick Buffalo with a 20+ pick. It's not like it's never happened before, especially if we end up in the top 3 and that pick is an immediate help next year.

I'm saying if the pick is higher than 10 and Buffalo gets it, I would feel a bit of a sense of relief in that it's not hanging over our heads next season. This team could turn it around, but they could also suck again. I'm hoping a new coach and goalie change is enough to not suck, but who knows with this team. If the pick is top 3 this year, then obviously that would be sweet and the only way next season would suck worse is if we miss the playoffs again and hit #1. But in the case where we finish 8-10 and keep the pick, there will be a lot of sweating going on, especially if we get out to a crap start next season. Or just imagine, we keep an 8-10 pick, finish 14-16 next year (improvement) and still hit 1 of 3 lottery picks... Lot of bluesy ways for next year to go if we keep a not top 3 pick this season.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
The problem with tanking is that it's not something a team can turn on and off. It can take years to get over a tank, especially if the team doesn't win the lottery.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The problem with tanking is that it's not something a team can turn on and off. It can take years to get over a tank, especially if the team doesn't win the lottery.
We are tanking right now and not even actively trying. I'm hoping we stay the course with the current staff, unless Q becomes available. That would ensure a top five pick most likely.

Reactions: Doohickie

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
if we're tanking, the only road team we're hoping to win tonight is the Panthers. Otherwise, it probably behooves us to see all of the rest of home teams prevail this evening.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
if we're tanking, the only road team we're hoping to win tonight is the Panthers. Otherwise, it probably behooves us to see all of the rest of home teams prevail this evening.
Coyotes, cannucks and devils lost. Kings and Hawks both won against Nashville and Winnipeg, haha.

If it’s not the blues, obviously I’d prefer the high picks to go out east but I wouldn’t be upset if the coyotes actually hit a lottery pick.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Coyotes, cannucks and devils lost. Kings and Hawks both won against Nashville and Winnipeg, haha.

If it’s not the blues, obviously I’d prefer the high picks to go out east but I wouldn’t be upset if the coyotes actually hit a lottery pick.

I would. Perpetual failure shouldnot be rewarded. Their GM is a massive failure and doesn’t deserve to win the lottery.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
We still lost ground. We are currently in 6th draft spot. We are going to end up getting the 11th pick.

Reactions: Bluenatic

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I know this will be viewed as foolishness, but I think the team is starting to look decent in games. I still don't understand the games where they are just not ready to compete, but its still only 2 points lost. The frequency of those games is going down. The Blues have beaten some decent teams in the past couple weeks. If Pietro comes back healthy (not sure on the impact of his surgery) I actually think this team (the players) still believes they can get back in the race. No one is running away with that wildcard spot.

I hope that's what happens. It will make for an entertaining season, and it will be fun to watch Buffalo fans start to downgrade their expectations on that draft pick.

Reactions: Chief Steele

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I know this will be viewed as foolishness, but I think the team is starting to look decent in games. I still don't understand the games where they are just not ready to compete, but its still only 2 points lost. The frequency of those games is going down. The Blues have beaten some decent teams in the past couple weeks. If Pietro comes back healthy (not sure on the impact of his surgery) I actually think this team (the players) still believes they can get back in the race. No one is running away with that wildcard spot.

I hope that's what happens. It will make for an entertaining season, and it will be fun to watch Buffalo fans start to downgrade their expectations on that draft pick.

Agreed they are only 9pnts out of the WC and they just beat the team that holds the final spot in the Oilers. They could put something together and I think the will just to tease us and make us thing they have turned it around but I don't think the season is over yet..

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Agreed they are only 9pnts out of the WC and they just beat the team that holds the final spot in the Oilers. They could put something together and I think the will just to tease us and make us thing they have turned it around but I don't think the season is over yet..
"Only 9 points" is one thing, but there are 4 teams between us and the WC spot. However, we do have games in hand.

The danger in this thought process is that it is exactly what Armstrong will be thinking. If we win our games in hand and keep a similar pace to the rest of the teams for the next couple of months, we're going to be buyers at the deadline.

Reactions: Chief Steele

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
"Only 9 points" is one thing, but there are 4 teams between us and the WC spot. However, we do have games in hand.

The danger in this thought process is that it is exactly what Armstrong will be thinking. If we win our games in hand and keep a similar pace to the rest of the teams for the next couple of months, we're going to be buyers at the deadline.

It is a interesting spot to say the least. But even as buyers we can sell, by moving certain players and allowing for a larger role for others. Allowing for Thomas and maybe some of the other younger players to take a more defining role

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Lol at any person on this board thinking we are making the playoffs. Fool's gold. I will bet cold hard cash to anyone who believes that will happen, seriously. What we are going to do is end up in the 12th spot, give away our pick, and waste another year of the core. The core isn't going to be our core in a couple of years. Guys will be climbing into the 30 yo range, and we don't have anyone to start building on after several years in the playoffs. If we are still trying to make the playoffs this year, the future looks grim.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Lol at any person on this board thinking we are making the playoffs. Fool's gold. I will bet cold hard cash to anyone who believes that will happen, seriously. What we are going to do is end up in the 12th spot, give away our pick, and waste another year of the core. The core isn't going to be our core in a couple of years. Guys will be climbing into the 30 yo range, and we don't have anyone to start building on after several years in the playoffs. If we are still trying to make the playoffs this year, the future looks grim.
That's a double edged sword to me. I'd say prime years are only wasted if we move out a core player or 2 and keep the rest. Those trades will set the team back. So if were moving Pietrangelo or Tarasenko, then the cuts need to go deeper beyond them.

If we give up our pick this year then the team turned things around. I'd take that over a shot in the dark at a good but not franchise selection. Unless the blues get 1 or 2, the odds on that pick making an impact within a season or 2 isnt great. I'd rather see this team cut some of the fat, get a better coach and hit the ground running next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00