GDT: The Hero We Need: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Florida Panthers, 12 PM, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I can’t be down when the Devils beat the Panthers. They should be 6-2 but it seems the players have regressed to the less pleasing late game tattic of “Stay and Pray”.

Secondary scoring is concerning.( I beat up Zacha all the time mostly because I want him to do well.) I think its time to call out Noe, Woods and MJ. Looking at the landscape the top line is one of the best in the league. This makes most of the the other lines look pedestrian, but those 3 could do a lot better. Bratt, please watch Palmieri highlight videos and learn to shoot the daylights out of the puck. We badly need a second volume shooter/scorer.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't know why everyone thinks the Devils sat on the lead in the 3rd period. They had 2 breakaways and 2 2 on 1 rushes. Yeah, they didn't get a ton of zone time, but they got chances.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't know why everyone thinks the Devils sat on the lead in the 3rd period. They had 2 breakaways and 2 2 on 1 rushes. Yeah, they didn't get a ton of zone time, but they got chances.

One was on the pk (Coleman should try a new move next time)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

They definitely sat on it the last five minutes, and before that they took zero initiative on the PP in the third period.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We should remember that Trav actually scored and produced a lot more than PZ has in his first few seasons.

Yes he came into the league older but right now, PZ has the identical stat line as Kink, 8-0-0-0

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They definitely sat on it the last five minutes, and before that they took zero initiative on the PP in the third period.

That PP was dreadful, looked like they just wanted to kill the 2 minutes themselves.

The Sevs icing with about 5 minutes left was not good, he could have skated with the puck a few more strides easily.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
We should remember that Trav actually scored and produced a lot more than PZ has in his first few seasons.

Yes he came into the league older but right now, PZ has the identical stat line as Kink, 8-0-0-0

Travis Zajac at age 22 had 34 points in 82 games. If Zacha has that season next year you'll all tear your hair out.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
They definitely sat on it

seems to be a recurring theme. maybe this can be our new motto, just gotta put hynes’ face on there

EN-sit-on-it-button_busy_beaver_button_museum.png

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
From the 3rd line with little to no pp time? No chance.

I don't see it either, and think Hynes should use PZ instead of Noesen on the PP.

My point was I don't think we should try to compare him to Trav.

Zajac stepped in, produced and was a factor early in his career with us.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't see it either, and think Hynes should use PZ instead of Noesen on the PP.

My point was I don't think we should try to compare him to Trav.

Zajac stepped in, produced and was a factor early in his career with us.
Travis's rookie season he was with Elias on the first line. Shortly after he was with Parise and Langenbrunner for the next 4 years....Henrique was with Kovalchuk and Parise....Hischier was with Hall and Bratt...Gomez had Mogilny his rookie season...Madden had Gionta early in his career both young but still.

Zacha got f***ed.

Zacha was with Bennet, Josefson, DSP and Noesen for the majority of his start...but there was that first glorious game with Elias.

Reactions: The Great Santini

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Travis's rookie season he was with Elias on the first line. Shortly after he was with Parise and Langenbrunner for the next 4 years....Henrique was with Kovalchuk and Parise....Hischier was with Hall and Bratt...Gomez had Mogilny his rookie season...Madden had Gionta early in his career

Zacha got ****ed.

Zacha was with Bennet, Josefson, DSP and Noesen for the majority of his start...but there was that first hlorioug game with Elias.

Look, I think he's been mis-used overall and of course rushed into the NHL when he could have used a full season or two in the AHL

But, it's not like he will all of a sudden produce like Rantenan does on the top line in Col if he was with Hall and Nico.

He has confidence issues, doesn't shoot enough and fails to bury his chances like last night in the 3rd on the tap in feed from Noesen.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Look, I think he's been mis-used overall and of course rushed into the NHL when he could have used a full season or two in the AHL

But, it's not like he will all of a sudden produce like Rantenan does on the top line in Col if he was with Hall and Nico.

He has confidence issues, doesn't shoot enough and fails to bury his chances like last night in the 3rd on the tap in feed from Noesen.
What bothers me is when he is compared to guys who are playing on 1st lines with Superstars. How would Zacha"s career look right now if he started with Tavares or MacKinnon and Landeskog... forget them...what if he was groomed in the exact same fashion his rookie year as Hischier was? What if instead of Zajac between Hall and Palmieri it was Zacha?

Even the thought of comparison to his peers when Zacha spent a good chunk of his career with Josefson and Bennet ,two players out of the league today seems beyond unfair.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
What bothers me is when he is compared to guys who are playing on 1st lines with Superstars. How would Zacha"s career look right now if he start with Tavares or MacKinnon and Landeskog... forget them...what if he was groomed in the exact same fashion his rookie year as Hischier was? What if instead of Zajac between Hall and Palmieri it was Zacha?

Even the thought of comparison to his peers when Zacha spent a good chunk of his career with Josefson and Bennet ,two players out of the league today seems beyond unfair.

You're in the camp that PZ would be lighting it up on a top line

The other, larger camp, doesn't think that would happen if he was given the opportunity.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Zacha has had chances on the top lines the last couple years. Started the season last year with Hall. Started the season this year with Mojo.

He's still young, I think he is playing better then this stat line, he is a guy you can rely on in his own zone, but we should not deflect away the lack of offensive production as not his fault. It's very much on him, and it will be up to him to change the narrative.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You're in the camp that PZ would be lighting it up on a top line

The other, larger camp, doesn't think that would happen if he was given the opportunity.
The only camp I am in is he was extremely mishandled and never given the chance to succeed.

Hischier scored 2 goals in his first 16 games playing with Hall and they both came in the same game....at no time in Zacha"s career has he ever been given a leash that long. Not once .

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The only camp I am in is he was extremely mishandled and never given the chance to succeed.

Hischier scored 2 goals in his first 16 games playing with Hall and they both came in the same game....at no time in Zacha"s career has he ever been given a leash that long. Not once .

He doesn't make the most of his opportunities

Dea has 3 goals with little ice time

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Zacha has had chances on the top lines the last couple years. Started the season last year with Hall. Started the season this year with Mojo.

He's still young, I think he is playing better then this stat line, he is a guy you can rely on in his own zone, but we should not deflect away the lack of offensive production as not his fault. It's very much on him, and it will be up to him to change the narrative.

What did he play parts of 3 games with Hall as a line?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He doesn't make the most of his opportunities

Dea has 3 goals with little ice time
Come on...Dea is 25 years old and we are talking about how a 19 and 20 year old top prospect was introduced to the league . 5 games and move him is a failure of this staff.

Imagine if we did the same to a 18 year old Hischier who only had 2 asisst in his first 5 games playing with a 100+ point pace league MVP.

Reactions: Darkauron

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

We can implement eye test too though and say Nico in general looks better. Looks more confident, is more consistent with his effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad