The Great Cam Barker Appreciation thread (And former Hawks talk vol 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I agree on work ethic for depth players, but he's not trying to win so it's easy to take grindy gritty and a higher floor over a gamble on skill. I'm still waiting to see what KD really values as the system and team was so slow that adding some fast skaters made alot of sense. He still acquired Katchook, Raddysh, Johnson, and plugged in a Robinson.

As far as players that need to see shots, I'm talking defensemen especially. They're just getting it in the zone and then racing back, rarely making decisions after a shot that causes some chaos. Domi is too inconsistent and has 10 games with 0 or 1 shot and we know AA isn't going to do much against structure. That's what I meant about keeping a player like Kubalik around, if he had one good/decent linemate he'll get shots.

In terms of a 3yr deal, I don't know, but they need guys that can get shots off.

Too many wasted shifts where the young players aren't on the ice or making the tough decisions when they are, I would hate to see some of the better ones on this thread because they never had a chance to learn much through hundreds of shifts this year and next.

Separate notes:

Gus is averaging a lot of ice time. Saw some of the Caps-Blues the other day, couldn't believe that they are letting him have that many minutes. Not many alternatives though.

TVR getting plenty of work still.
The two players from Tampa were needed to make the cap work. Tampa already had a deal close for Stephens so he wasn’t an option. If you don’t take them you don’t get 2 1sts.
I think he has hopes of moving Johnson at the TDL. Robinson was a shot at a work ethic grinder..
nothing about those moves changes the theme.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Katchouk and Raddysh were place holder bodies with pedigree, Johnson is a place holder vet signed to a one year deal for peanuts and Buddy Robinson is an AHL vet that saw a bit of ice when guys were hurt.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
The two players from Tampa were needed to make the cap work. Tampa already had a deal close for Stephens so he wasn’t an option. If you don’t take them you don’t get 2 1sts.
I think he has hopes of moving Johnson at the TDL. Robinson was a shot at a work ethic grinder..
nothing about those moves changes the theme.
I think it's too early to call a theme but a good case can be made for what you're saying

Reactions: Space umpire

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Was looking at some foreign leagues, standings, rosters and what not. Forgive the redundancy if these names were covered.

Finland- Petri Kontiola is still playing there. I think only a couple players are older than him in that league. Rundblad still in Karpat, always think of him when I see Dvorak.

Czech- The great Radek Smolenak is skating in the Czech league for Hradek Kralove. Frolik is playing for Liberec Bill Tyric. Rostislav Olesz skating for Olomouc. Marko Dano in Trinec Oceleri

DEL- The immortal Ben Smith skating for Munich. McNeill playing for the Selb Wolves in the DEL. Ryan Stanton for Cologne. Drew LeBlanc playing for Augsburg. Peter Regin playing for Berlin. Kyle Cumiskey on Duesseldorf. Brandon Manning in Straubing.

SWE-Victor Stalberg only played 6 games for Skelleftea AIK, not sure the status but surprised he is still trying to play after the last couple of years. Tim Erixon with Anton Wedin in Timra. Victor Edjsell in Farjestads BK Karlstad. Lance Bouma with Soderberg in Malmo. Jacob Nilsson in Frolunda. John Quenneville in Leksands.

Russia- Shawn Lalonde still playing in Minsk. Victor Svedberg in Omsk.

Swiss- Sami Lepisto with Langnau in the Swiss League. Dahlbeck in Davos with Nordstrom and Dennis Rasmussen. Jiri Sekac in Lausanne with Richard Panik. Kahun in Bern. Lucas Wallmark is in Zurich. Connelly in Lugano still.

Austria- Andrew Desjardins in VSV

I'm sure I missed a bunch when I was glancing at rosters.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Was looking at some foreign leagues, standings, rosters and what not. Forgive the redundancy if these names were covered.

Finland- Petri Kontiola is still playing there. I think only a couple players are older than him in that league. Rundblad still in Karpat, always think of him when I see Dvorak.

Czech- The great Radek Smolenak is skating in the Czech league for Hradek Kralove. Frolik is playing for Liberec Bill Tyric. Rostislav Olesz skating for Olomouc. Marko Dano in Trinec Oceleri

DEL- The immortal Ben Smith skating for Munich. McNeill playing for the Selb Wolves in the DEL. Ryan Stanton for Cologne. Drew LeBlanc playing for Augsburg. Peter Regin playing for Berlin. Kyle Cumiskey on Duesseldorf. Brandon Manning in Straubing.

SWE-Victor Stalberg only played 6 games for Skelleftea AIK, not sure the status but surprised he is still trying to play after the last couple of years. Tim Erixon with Anton Wedin in Timra. Victor Edjsell in Farjestads BK Karlstad. Lance Bouma with Soderberg in Malmo. Jacob Nilsson in Frolunda. John Quenneville in Leksands.

Swiss- Sami Lepisto with Langnau in the Swiss League. Dahlbeck in Davos with Nordstrom and Dennis Rasmussen. Jiri Sekac in Lausanne with Richard Panik. Kahun in Bern. Lucas Wallmark is in Zurich. Connelly in Lugano still.

Missed a bunch but you picked out Radek Smolenak?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Missed a bunch but you picked out Radek Smolenak?
He dressed for a single game in the 10' season, magic. Bowman claimed him off of waivers right before the season which made sense because they needed some bigger abrasive guys. Got his rear handed to him in a fight with Brad May and then he was put back on waivers and claimed back by TB.

Who is missing who dressed for the Hawks and is playing overseas? Please list them. I went kind of fast and probably missed a few. I didn't list anybody playing or currently signed in North America.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014

You forgot Ejdsell's teammates, Ville Pokka and former IceHog Matt Tomkins.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeydoug

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He dressed for a single game in the 10' season, magic. Bowman claimed him off of waivers right before the season which made sense because they needed some bigger abrasive guys. Got his rear handed to him in a fight with Brad May and then he was put back on waivers and claimed back by TB.

Who is missing who dressed for the Hawks and is playing overseas? Please list them. I went kind of fast and probably missed a few. I didn't list anybody playing or currently signed in North America.
You said you probably missed a bunch, was referring to that.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
You forgot Ejdsell's teammates, Ville Pokka and former IceHog Matt Tomkins.
I saw them thank you!

Nothing warms the heart like reliving Leddy for Pokka. So many hail marys on RD, all incomplete.

They never dressed for a real game with the big team so I left them off of the list.

There are probably another 15-20 guys that were in the Hawks system at one point who are in Europe now. Saw several names in the DEL, KHL, and SWE that the Hawks had under contract for a while. When I feel like punishing myself, maybe I'll look at rosters later in the year and list them.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I saw them thank you!

Nothing warms the heart like reliving Leddy for Pokka. So many hail marys on RD, all incomplete.

They never dressed for a real game with the big team so I left them off of the list.

There are probably another 15-20 guys that were in the Hawks system at one point who are in Europe now. Saw several names in the DEL, KHL, and SWE that the Hawks had under contract for a while. When I feel like punishing myself, maybe I'll look at rosters later in the year and list them.

Stan made horrendous moves from 2015 cup forwards. Even before that with TT, Leddy, Seabrook. But he accelerated the destruction process once 2015 cup was won, he had 90% bad and 10% good moves. Most here were clueless what was happening when it was happening. Now we have a new genius in charge giving away guys like Kubalik for nothing, trading Dach way too early and too low, and as time goes on the list will grow, that’s two major moves that can blow up back in our face big time. The big gaping holes will show soon when this team is bone dry with no talent to trade and these assets taken back amount to meh product on the ice.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
It hurts my heart seeing Cat not only struggle, but Sens fans just relentlessly trash him. Maybe we can get him back for pennies on the dollar in the offseason. Ottawa doesn’t deserve him.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It hurts my heart seeing Cat not only struggle, but Sens fans just relentlessly trash him. Maybe we can get him back for pennies on the dollar in the offseason. Ottawa doesn’t deserve him.
I'm sure there's a lot of product of Kane talk. I'm surprised that he's struggling that much. From what I've heard he's having another season like a few years ago when he was dragged down by a ridiculously low shooting percentage.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Last years team
KUBALIK 19gp 9g 12a 21pts
$2.5 mill
DACH 20gp 4g 13a 17pts
$3.4 mill
STROME 21gp 5g 11a 16pts
$3.5 mill
DEBRINCAT 19gp 5g 10a 15pts
$6.4 mill
HAGEL 19gp 5g 8a 13pts
$1.5 mill
CARPENTER 18gp 1g 1a 2pts
$750,000

GUSTAFSSON 21gp 0g 8a 8pts
$800,000
DEHAAN 13gp 1g 1a 2pts
$850,000
STILLMAN 11gp 0g 1a 1pt
$1.4 mill

FLEURY 12gp 6-4-1rec 1so 2.80avg
$3.5 mill
LANKINEN 6gp 2-3-0rec 0so 2.50avg
$1.5 mill

$26 million vs...

DOMI 19gp 5g 9a 14pts
$3 mill
ATHANASIOU 19gp 6g 3a 9pts
$3 mill
DICKINSON 15gp 4g 4a 8pts
$2.7 mill
RADDYSH 19gp 4g 3a 7pts
$758,333
BLACKWELL 13gp 0g 3a 3pts
$1.2 mill
KATCHOUK 9gp 0g 0a 0pts
$758,333

TINORDI 19gp 2g 3a 5pts
$900,000
ROOS 10gp 1g 2a 3pts
$925,000
JJOHNSON 19gp 0g 3a 3pts
$950,000

MRAZEK 7gp 1-4-1rec 0so 3.86avg
$3.8 mill
STALOCK 7gp 3-2-1rec 0so 2.93avg
$750,000

...$19 million

This is what $7 million in savings gets you

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
A LOT of things will have to go right in the next few years for Davidson. He certainly has some balls.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
It's pointing in that direction.... though, as usual, some here found excuses. Strome would always be a guy you wouldn't get much for but Kubalik should still be a Hawk if he couldn't find a trading partner at that time.
There was absolutely zero reason not to sign Kubalik. You sign him and trade him if you wanna tank, you don’t just let assets slide, how is that gonna help you build a better team in the future?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
A LOT of things will have to go right in the next few years for Davidson. He certainly has some balls.
What do balls have to do with anything in this job? Balls can burn you very easily, if anything you gotta keep your balls under strict controls because you can easily trade or let a player go for peanuts or NOTHING that is gonna become gold somewhere else…

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
What other choice does he have? The team was perpetually mediocre with a declining Toews and Kane as their leaders. Did people want to be stuck as a mediocre team with no shot at drafting high end talent or winning cups?

That’s how you end up with more Seth Jones contracts. But losers like Bobby, simply want to complain but anything.
What do balls have to do with anything in this job? Balls can burn you very easily, if anything you gotta keep your balls under strict controls because you can easily trade or let a player go for peanuts or NOTHING that is gonna become gold somewhere else…
Letting assets walk and trading away everything not bolted down with the confidence that his draft picks are going to be more valuable.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but that's taking a gamble in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad