The Great Cam Barker Appreciation thread (And former Hawks talk vol 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
Debrincat with two goals today for the Sens, it's actually good for ex-Hawks players to do well as most of them went to the Atlantic and if they can push Tampa Bay down the standngs for the next two seasons would be great for the Hawks.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Debrincat with two goals today for the Sens, it's actually good for ex-Hawks players to do well as most of them went to the Atlantic and if they can push Tampa Bay down the standngs for the next two seasons would be great for the Hawks.
Ummm, that’s what I’ve been saying for awhile now...I think that was kinda the plan Davidson had...

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Kirby tearing it up, Montreal looks to have an incredible bargain for the next 4 years, another GM another HUGE blunder…. Ya ya ya Nazar bla bla bla

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Kirby tearing it up, Montreal looks to have an incredible bargain for the next 4 years, another GM another HUGE blunder…. Ya ya ya Nazar bla bla bla
Not saying Dach will be a consistent point-getter in the NHL. He still has a long way to go but any 1st round player with those physical attributes should not be given up on so quickly .... especially at such a young age on a rebuilding team.

Dach and Cat were the only untouchables, IMO, and Hawks traded away both of them.... DOH!

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It is going to be hilarious to see all of the HF posters trash Davidson if Dach continues to produce at this rate… you know the same posters who consistently bashed a twenty year-old hockey player and called him a bust.
KD has a type and Kirby wasn't his type.
Quite frankly I wonder if Reichel is a KD player as well.

KD likes speed+motor and Nazar fits that way better than Kirby.

Reactions: Sinbad

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It is going to be hilarious to see all of the HF posters trash Davidson if Dach continues to produce at this rate… you know the same posters who consistently bashed a twenty year-old hockey player and called him a bust.
Don't include me in that group, I still liked Kirby.

Though I like Nazar too, so that trade didn't sting quite so bad.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
KD has a type and Kirby wasn't his type.
Quite frankly I wonder if Reichel is a KD player as well.

KD likes speed+motor and Nazar fits that way better than Kirby.
Totally agree and quite honestly Dach needed a change of scenery. With all the negativity surrounding him in Chicago, success for him was only going to be achieved elsewhere. The return Davidson received for him was fine; the Hawks just have to hit on the picks now.

Don't include me in that group, I still liked Kirby.

Though I like Nazar too, so that trade didn't sting quite so bad.
Nope not everyone and quite honestly I don’t recall specifically who did and didn’t but you can’t deny that there were a lot of people calling him a bust. Maybe one day he will be but to make that determination when Dach was only 20 is mind boggling.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Totally agree and quite honestly Dach needed a change of scenery. With all the negativity surrounding him in Chicago, success for him was only going to be achieved elsewhere. The return Davidson received for him was fine; the Hawks just have to hit on the picks now.

Nope not everyone and quite honestly I don’t recall specifically who did and didn’t but you can’t deny that there were a lot of people calling him a bust. Maybe one day he will be but to make that determination when Dach was only 20 is mind boggling.
I really like Kirby and was stoked when they drafted him. I'm disappointed he didn't work out here.
I'm glad he's finding success in MTL, but that move needed to be made before his value sunk even further. As much as I like him, it wasn't happening in Chicago.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I really like Kirby and was stoked when they drafted him. I'm disappointed he didn't work out here.
I'm glad he's finding success in MTL, but that move needed to be made before his value sunk even further. As much as I like him, it wasn't happening in Chicago.
Dach, who was drafted 3rd overall, was traded for a 13th and 66th overall picks...

List of 13th and 66th picks from 2010 draft

2022 Frank Nazar, Gavin Hayes
2021 Matt Coronato, Sasha Pastujov
2020 Seth Jarvis, Kasparov Simontaival
2019 Spencer Knight, Albin Grewe
2018 Ty Dellandrea, Cameron Hillis
2017 Nick Suzuki, Max Gildon
2016 Jake Bean, Adam Fox
2015 Jakub Zboril, Guillaume Brisebois
2014 Jakub Vrana, Nikita Tryamkin
2013 Joss Morrissey, Brett Pesce
2012 Radek Faksa, Jimmy Vesey
2011 Sven Baertschi, TJ Tynan
2010 Brandon Gromley, Radko Gudas

I think we’ll be okay

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

I couldn't believe how many fans were calling him a bust.

How about a change of scenery because of King?
JC, with all his flaws at least had a long game and used large sample sizes to plan. He wouldn't have let players flounder on end without significant changes to see what they could or couldn't do. King was the biggest soupsandwich we've seen behind the bench since Lockout 1.

Too much not being made of the decision to hire King. I don't think it was a wake up call or change of scenery for Dach or even Kubalik as much as it was getting away from that bench. Dach will have a very good career because he can skate well for that frame. Kubalik wouldn't help the Hawks win much but it would sure be nice to have a shooter in the OZ so that some of these kids could see what a useful shift is when there is an actual sog produced.

I expect we'll have a long list of Davidson transactions to bash in a couple years.

Reactions: Pez68

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I couldn't believe how many fans were calling him a bust.

How about a change of scenery because of King?
JC, with all his flaws at least had a long game and used large sample sizes to plan. He wouldn't have let players flounder on end without significant changes to see what they could or couldn't do. King was the biggest soupsandwich we've seen behind the bench since Lockout 1.

Too much not being made of the decision to hire King. I don't think it was a wake up call or change of scenery for Dach or even Kubalik as much as it was getting away from that bench. Dach will have a very good career because he can skate well for that frame. Kubalik wouldn't help the Hawks win much but it would sure be nice to have a shooter in the OZ so that some of these kids could see what a useful shift is when there is an actual sog produced.

I expect we'll have a long list of Davidson transactions to bash in a couple years.
If the Hawks get Bedard or Fantilli nobody will care.

Everyone knows why they let Strome and Kubalik walk. They're both one dimensional scorers that are average(Kubalik) to terrible(Strome) skaters.

If KD could have received value for either player, he would have.

One thing I really like about KD is that he really values speed and skating ability. You can't just be big, you have to be able to skate at an above average level for your size.

Reactions: Sinbad and Giovi

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
If the Hawks get Bedard or Fantilli nobody will care.

Everyone knows why they let Strome and Kubalik walk. They're both one dimensional scorers that are average(Kubalik) to terrible(Strome) skaters.

If KD could have received value for either player, he would have.

One thing I really like about KD is that he really values speed and skating ability. You can't just be big, you have to be able to skate at an above average level for your size.
Not sure if KD values speed or has just been prioritizing some as the Hawks have been so much slower than much of the league for several years.

Strome was a bad. He was never going to get more than a 4th even in 21'. Not much better for Kubalik.

Kubalik wasn't an answer but the Hawks can't really develop well with Domi and AA on wings in the top 9. The young players need some shooters to make some of these shifts more valuable than they are. It wouldn't help them win which is why I'm disappointed he's gone.

Disagree on assuming KD couldn't get anything. KD probably misplayed the market more than an experienced gm because he's a rookie around a bunch of vets or other rookies looking to earn or keep their jobs, it's a bad mix.

It's one thing to overpay for an acquisition for the sake of getting a deal done but it's another to throw away draft slots and capspace preemptively.

Keeping on topic, Strome may be a bigger liability 5 on 5 for the caps than he was in Chicago. They aren't going to make the postseason if he's 1 or 2C, even if they get a bunch of horses back.

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Not sure if KD values speed or has just been prioritizing some as the Hawks have been so much slower than much of the league for several years.

the Hawks can't really develop well with Domi and AA on wings in the top 9. The young players need some shooters to make some of these shifts more valuable than they are.
If you’re not sure I don’t know what to say there. I think it’s pretty clear that of the moves that could be made KD very much values speed, work ethic and in your face type players.
Kubi and Strome are none of those.

As for your 2nd part, exactly which kids are being hurt by Domi and AA being on the team over the other 2?
Or were you suggesting rather than letting them walk the Hawks should have given them 3 year deals so when the kids are here they can learn to be like them?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Dach = 16 points
DeBrincat = 14 points
Kubalik = 21 points
Strome = 15 points

Gotta give props to KD. He knew what needed to be done in order to tank properly.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
If you’re not sure I don’t know what to say there. I think it’s pretty clear that of the moves that could be made KD very much values speed, work ethic and in your face type players.
Kubi and Strome are none of those.

As for your 2nd part, exactly which kids are being hurt by Domi and AA being on the team over the other 2?
Or were you suggesting rather than letting them walk the Hawks should have given them 3 year deals so when the kids are here they can learn to be like them?
I agree on work ethic for depth players, but he's not trying to win so it's easy to take grindy gritty and a higher floor over a gamble on skill. I'm still waiting to see what KD really values as the system and team was so slow that adding some fast skaters made alot of sense. He still acquired Katchook, Raddysh, Johnson, and plugged in a Robinson.

As far as players that need to see shots, I'm talking defensemen especially. They're just getting it in the zone and then racing back, rarely making decisions after a shot that causes some chaos. Domi is too inconsistent and has 10 games with 0 or 1 shot and we know AA isn't going to do much against structure. That's what I meant about keeping a player like Kubalik around, if he had one good/decent linemate he'll get shots.

In terms of a 3yr deal, I don't know, but they need guys that can get shots off.

Too many wasted shifts where the young players aren't on the ice or making the tough decisions when they are, I would hate to see some of the better ones on this thread because they never had a chance to learn much through hundreds of shifts this year and next.

Separate notes:

Gus is averaging a lot of ice time. Saw some of the Caps-Blues the other day, couldn't believe that they are letting him have that many minutes. Not many alternatives though.

TVR getting plenty of work still.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Dach = 16 points
DeBrincat = 14 points
Kubalik = 21 points
Strome = 15 points

Gotta give props to KD. He knew what needed to be done in order to tank properly.

Oh ya tank properly without getting anything in return for Kubalik, the true way to tank properly…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad