The Great Cam Barker Appreciation thread (And former Hawks talk vol 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Qualifying offer is just for rights, you are not obligated to pay it and he signed less, so might have signed less to stay Chicago too.
There is is an ego element involved on the player's side and they often feel insulted that their qualifying offer was not tendered and will sign elsewhere for the same or lesser money because of this.

And each year the qualifying offer amount increases so if they kept him each year would cost them more and more.

Reactions: Giovi

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Qualifying offer is just for rights, you are not obligated to pay it and he signed less, so might have signed less to stay Chicago too.
he signed for less in free agency because nobody wanted him at the qualifying offer. did you want the hawks to not qualify and then outbid detriot in free agency? They got Domi for 1 year at 3 million instead of trying to outbid Detriot at 5 million for two years for a player thats trending the wrong way and playing a style they are trying to get away from. They will recoup assets at the deadline for Domi and still be a bottom feeder like they are trying to be.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Why in the world would he take less to play on a team that's been gutted, when he could take less and play with a more competitive team?

The Hawks would have to outbid any other offers, and again, what is the point? Why overpay for a guy who struggled, at a time when the team is burning it to the ground?

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Why in the world would he take less to play on a team that's been gutted, when he could take less and play with a more competitive team?

The Hawks would have to outbid any other offers, and again, what is the point? Why overpay for a guy who struggled, at a time when the team is burning it to the ground?
Plus I am still not sold on Kubalik or Suter who both signed with Detroit, let them have them. I do not miss either. Let them have Kurashev to join them next year.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Kubalik had plenty of chances to get his game going here. He had one good season and looked great in the bubble series against EDM. Great shot he has but let’s not pretend that we didn’t spend two years waiting for him to get back to that level.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He went from .7 ppg to .4. That, to me, is trending down.

Had KD signed him and he continued to struggle offensively, he would have been a boat anchor. Expensive, not producing, difficult to move is pretty much the definition of a boat anchor to me.

His qualifying offer would have been 4 million. That is how much it would cost the Hawks to keep him. I'm not sure how Davidson "creativity" would have altered that reality. Davidson could have negotiated with him after the deadline, but I'm pretty sure Detroit would have been a more favorable destination for him at that time.
He had ONE down year on a terrible team and got limited PP time playing the point FFS. By that logic, Cat was trending down when he had his rough year. Just looked up Kubalik's stats. His shooting percentage is 16.7% with Wings (13.4% lifetime). ... must be trending up. I admit, I'm biased ... always liked DK's game.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He had ONE down year on a terrible team and got limited PP time playing the point FFS. By that logic, Cat was trending down when he had his rough year. Just looked up Kubalik's stats. His shooting percentage is 16.7% with Wings (13.4% lifetime). ... must be trending up. I admit, I'm biased ... always liked DK's game.
If you like his Game, I don't get calling him a sniper. So much is always focused on that because, yes, he had a heavy one timer.

But when he scored those 30 goals it wasn't a bunch of snipes. He was scoring because he went to the net front. He got lots of taps and rebounds. He stopped doing that the last two years. He only showed effort to doso after the trade deadline passed last year.

Maybe he took the sniper label to heart himself but that's not how he succeeded his rookie year or what I've seen in detroit

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If you like his Game, I don't get calling him a sniper. So much is always focused on that because, yes, he had a heavy one timer.

But when he scored those 30 goals it wasn't a bunch of snipes. He was scoring because he went to the net front. He got lots of taps and rebounds.
He stopped doing that the last two years. He only showed effort to doso after the trade deadline passed last year.

Maybe he took the sniper label to heart himself but that's not how he succeeded his rookie year or what I've seen in detroit
Good point. Also, his defensive game is better than he was given credit for here and he was more snake-bit than lazy. His chances were way down last season, and it wasn't just his play.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Even though most have joked about it (including myself), Seabrook was not close to lazy. Seabrook's body simply started falling apart and he couldn't keep up with the pace of play anymore. Anyone who honestly thinks he was a lazy player is out to lunch.
Oduya made a joke about Seabrook being nicknamed the human garbage can like two years ago. He got older, he got slower, the league got faster. It wasn't any one thing.

He's still responsible for his conditioning habits.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Even though most have joked about it (including myself), Seabrook was not close to lazy. Seabrook's body simply started falling apart and he couldn't keep up with the pace of play anymore. Anyone who honestly thinks he was a lazy player is out to lunch.
Agreed. Seems several Hawks fans love to attach a lazy tag to players.

Reactions: BHawk21

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Agree to disagree. imo, he would have been a bad signing for the Hawks, and his ppg would not be near what it is right now in Detroit.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Oduya made a joke about Seabrook being nicknamed the human garbage can like two years ago. He got older, he got slower, the league got faster. It wasn't any one thing.

He's still responsible for his conditioning habits.

That is fair but it is not like Seabrook was Lazy Smurf. His body falling apart was a the majority reason why he could not keep up at the end of career. This is the only point I was trying to make. He was obviously not perfect from a dietary standpoint.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That is fair but it is not like Seabrook was Lazy Smurf. His body falling apart was a the majority reason why he could not keep up at the end of career. This is the only point I was trying to make. He was obviously not perfect from a dietary standpoint.
Nobody will ever know how much of that is on Seabrook for not taking care of himself. Never got into that KFSeabs meme phase here because I didn't know until after the fact.

Will always love what he did for the Blackhawks. Doesn't change the truth any though.

Reactions: BK

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Kubalik would have cost them 4 mill to qualify. He was trending down. He almost certainly wouldn't be producing now, with the talent he'd be playing with on the Hawks, the way he is with the Wings.

Signing him would have given the Hawks an expensive boat anchor that would have been near impossible to trade, and wouldn't ever have been part of the team when it turns the corner.

So what, exactly, would have been the point? What am I missing? What would the benefit have been to the Hawks to sign him?
4 million for a team that may be worried about the cap floor next season. He wouldn't be in the way of anything

The point would be to have young defensemen and forwards be on the ice for an actual shot attempt...so they can learn something other than working on skating and staying interested away from the puck.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
4 million for a team that may be worried about the cap floor next season. He wouldn't be in the way of anything

The point would be to have young defensemen and forwards be on the ice for an actual shot attempt...so they can learn something other than working on skating and staying interested away from the puck.
That's a pretty lame reason to sign an unneeded piece during a rebuild, imo. If any prospect is having a hard time staying interested, I'd say he doesn't belong. And I'm pretty sure they've all been on the ice for shot attempts.

Reactions: Behn Wilson

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Nobody will ever know how much of that is on Seabrook for not taking care of himself. Never got into that KFSeabs meme phase here because I didn't know until after the fact.

Will always love what he did for the Blackhawks. Doesn't change the truth any though.
The 1st sentence of your post and the last sentence contradict each other.
What do (we) actually know?
A) He was fit, strong and an absolute warrior on the ice while being a human vacuum when dining for more than a decade.
B) When his body broke down he was no longer physically capable to maintain his fitness level.
(Edited to point out while we don’t KNOW if the injuries were the cause vs being lazy he earned a decade of street cred that some here choose to ignore.)

Yet the feeling of many is he slacked off and failed at remaining fit.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
A) He was fit, strong and an absolute warrior on the ice while being a human vacuum when dining for more than a decade.
B) When his body broke down he was no longer physically capable to maintain his fitness level.
(Edited to point out while we don’t KNOW if the injuries were the cause vs being lazy he earned a decade of street cred that some here choose to ignore.)

I never thought he slacked, his body just broke down.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Just going by what Oduya said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland