The Great Brandon Manning Debate (& other ex-Hawks) Volume 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No.

The only reason he's 4th in minutes is because he doesn't play on the PP... like at all.

He's their top pairing D next to Carlson. There is really no debating it.

PP has nothing to do with him being 4th among Caps defenders in Even Strength Time on Ice

And when it comes to PP Carlson plays and the rest of Caps defenders barely play

Even Strength TOI
Orlov = 19:26
Niskanen = 18:34
Carlson = 18:22
Kempny = 17:31

PP TOI
Carlson = 4:06
Orlov = :48
Niskanen = :33
Kempny = :00

SH TOI
Niskanen = 2:48
Orpik = 2:41
Carlson = 2:36
Kempny = 1:38
Orlov = 1:24

Overall ATOI
Carlson = 25:05
Niskanen = 21:56
Orlov = 21:40
Kempny = 19:11
Orpik = 15:34

Kempny is the #4 in Washington

The myth and legend built around him on these boards is amusing

Reactions: hockeydoug

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
PP has nothing to do with him being 4th among Caps defenders in Even Strength Time on Ice

And when it comes to PP Carlson plays and the rest of Caps defenders barely play

Even Strength TOI

PP TOI

SH TOI

Overall ATOI

Lol.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Do you think he’s their second best defenseman? He’s a good #4 that Q regularly scratched. He suits Carlson well so he plays up the lineup.

Probably depends on the role. I think he's way better than a good #4. I'd put him as a very good 3, but he's more than capable on the top pairing, obviously, based on his time in Washington. The top 4 in Washington is good. I could argue he's their 2nd best D, sure. Or very close to it. Any way you look at it, he's missed here.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Even Strength TOI

PP TOI

SH TOI

Overall ATOI

He plays on their top pairing so he their #2 by default.

He would top Nisk and Orlov in ES in Carlson didn’t play the entire PP.

There no dramatic myth or legend built around Kempny it is just a deflective claim built are your typically uninformed opinion.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Probably depends on the role. I think he's way better than a good #4. I'd put him as a very good 3, but he's more than capable on the top pairing, obviously, based on his time in Washington. The top 4 in Washington is good. Any way you look at it, he's missed here.
I’m not gonna argue the difference between good #3 to good #4, but I’ll split the difference and agree he’s a good second pairing mobile puck mover. He’s not a guy that want playing on your top pairing unless it’s a scheme and partnership that’s damn near perfect for his skill set.

And he’s got that in Washington.

Reactions: clydesdale line

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He's a good player, in a great situation, but I think his value has been generally overstated. He isn't going to fit into every system and several teams that aren't expecting to go the playoffs wouldn't let him eat up as many minutes as he does. He's not even a top 4 on every team across the league, especially among the playoff teams. He's bottom 3 because he's a role guy, a complimentary piece. That's not a knock. I'm glad he's in a great spot that probably gets the most out of him at a convenient price point for the role.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Kempny isn't Washington's 2nd best dman. Niskanen is better than him as well as Carlsson. Orlov is overrated, and Kempny is underrated, so I'd say he's a number 3.

He was, however, without any question, the Blackhawks 3rd best dman when Q decided he couldn't play.

And right now, he'd probably be our 2nd best overall dman.

Damn waste of a great asset thanks to an obstinate coach.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kempny isn't Washington's 2nd best dman. Niskanen is better than him as well as Carlsson. Orlov is overrated, and Kempny is underrated, so I'd say he's a number 3.

He was, however, without any question, the Blackhawks 3rd best dman when Q decided he couldn't play.

Niskanen is not better than Carlson at anything for the Caps. you have been pushing that narrative for a while. I agree with the rest though, Kempny is a #3 there and would easily make our top 4 with how he has played.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yep, the treatment by Q toward MK was mystifying ... the writing on the wall for some I bet.... and now Hawks are paying for the blunder of trading him away - that's on Stan.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Q paid for the blunders of Stanley trading away (Or outright giving away) Panarin , Hjalmarsson , Teravienen and Danault (I could go on)

Bowman also did his most to sabotage Hawks forcing such pathetic excuses of NHL talent as David Rundblad upon Hawks team

The day will come when Bowman will be held accountable

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Q paid for the blunders of Stanley trading away (Or outright giving away) Panarin , Hjalmarsson , Teravienen and Danault (I could go on)

Bowman also did his most to sabotage Hawks forcing such pathetic excuses of NHL talent as David Rundblad upon Hawks team

The day will come when Bowman will be held accountable
lol

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Yep, the treatment by Q toward MK was mystifying ... the writing on the wall for some I bet.... and now Hawks are paying for the blunder of trading him away - that's on Stan.
What was the alternative for Stan? Kempny was an upcoming UFA and never going to re-sign here and play another year for Q. The damage had already been done and Stan was able to recoup whatever he could for Kempny.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What was the alternative for Stan? Kempny was an upcoming UFA and never going to re-sign here and play another year for Q. The damage had already been done and Stan was able to recoup whatever he could for Kempny.

That pick turned into Kurashev right? Imagine saying Kempny was Stan’s fault lol. Kempny is on record saying he felt his NHL time was almost up because of how he was utilized here and he didn’t fear making a mistake under Trotz like he did under Q.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
That pick turned into Kurashev right? Imagine saying Kempny was Stan’s fault lol. Kempny is on record saying he felt his NHL time was almost up because of how he was utilized here and he didn’t fear making a mistake under Trotz like he did under Q.
IIRC we took Wise with the pick.

The only way Kempny possibly stays in Chicago is if Q is fired last year instead and who knows if that was even an option for Bowman.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kurashev came from Hartman (so did Beaudin).

Jake Wise is the result of the Kampny trade.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I suppose you're right.

I guess what pisses me off is that Q was able to get away with treating Kempny as he did, for as long as he did. I think Q intimidated Stan. Those days are over ....... and if the Strome/Perlini deal is any indication of what is to come, I'm all for it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

How is it on Stan? Q refused to play him and he was a UFA.

NVM saw your next post.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don’t think either was intimidated by the other. Stan was just building a different team than the one Q wanted to coach. Friction is fine when there’s results. Without them you’ve got the same powder keg being set up in Toronto right now.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Niskanen is not better than JC. Not close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad