The Great Brandon Manning Debate (& other ex-Hawks) Volume 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I personally think hockey players are less impacted compared to basketball or football due to skating vs running.

I agree. It's not as impactful because skating doesn't have the same impact as running, but having had a ligament injury in my knee and being a hockey player, I can tell you it's not what it once was. Just the wrong movement on the ice can cause discomfort for a few hours. If it twists the wrong way when I go to make a move or something like that, it definitely can bother me a little bit. It's just how it goes. At least for me.

But one of Schmaltz big strengths was that explosive first stride, and it may not be the same on his initial push-off/take-off as it used to be.

I obviously have no idea what he'll look like, just saying it's possible he isn't the same when he comes back, and is why I think that's a bad deal for the Yotes.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
How many hockey players tore their ACL and DIDN'T come back lesser players? Versteeg, EJ, Fabbri, Barker, are the ones that come to mind for me. None were ever the same player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
How many hockey players tore their ACL and DIDN'T come back lesser players? Versteeg, EJ, Fabbri, Barker, are the three that come to mind for me. None were ever the same player.
Tearing your ACL is a big deal. I know someone who was a sprinter working his way to the Olympics and had to retire early due to his ACL tearing.

It's not easy to recover from. It'll basically ensure that Schmaltz won't be able to go top speed again.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
The Bruins losing the 2013 Cup Finals to the Hawks ruined Chiarelli as a GM. Nothing but terrible trades after that starting with that knee jerk reaction Seguin trade because he wasn't as good as Patrick ****ing Kane in that series.
I have seen people talk about the seguin trade. There was a series on nhl network a few years ago that was a documentary on the bruins and showed the back room discussion on this. As I recall it was a group agreement to move him. There were like 6 guys in the room.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
I personally think hockey players are less impacted compared to basketball or football due to skating vs running.
I agree with this as well. The ACL seems more impactful on your lateral movement so comparing football and basketball seem off base.

But everyone heals differently and once you get cut on it’s something that is a risk.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Chayka is an idiot for inking Schmaltz to that term when he’s coming off a major knee injury and was set to be an RFA with one 50+ point season in NHL career. They had all the leverage and Chaychia got completely hosed. Would’ve told Nick to go find a 7 year offer sheet and sign it then we’ll consider matching it. Reality is nobody would’ve handed one out for that AAV/term. Awful awful deal.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The Schmaltz deal seems like a very high risk, very high reward move.

If he reaches his long touted max potential, he would absolutely be a steal before it's all said and done. But he always seemed like a promising guy that never took the next step to being great, and he isn't being helped with either being on the Toews or Kane lines over in Arizona. Not like we're talking about a Panarin-type player that seems obvious for future success. I'm expecting him to be a good albeit slightly overpaid guy with that cap hit, but that's to be expected with the desert tax to convince players to stay.

Last edited:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
That contract would’ve been risky regardless of the knee injury. Healthy, he maxes out at a good 2C IMO.
I’m still not positive he’s a center. I always wanted the Hawks to keep developing him at center but I couldn’t shake the feeling that he might be a better fit as a winger long term.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Kempny is Injured for the rest of the year/postseason. Loss to the caps D group.

Good thing he got himself that secure deal.

Reactions: Drumman44

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How the hell do you tear that entire muscle? That's unreal. Oof.

You don't. You typically tear the tendons that attach the muscle to the bone(knee or hip). And I don't know if it's a full tear. From reading, a complete hamstring tear is an 8-12 month injury recovery, post-surgery. I'm guessing his is a partial with the 4-6 month timeline. Those are the numbers for elite athletes according to what I was reading. It's a significant injury.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A guy playing 4th most TOI at ES is not what one would consider a top pairing defender

Care to explain why his TOI is so low among the defenders in Washington if he is on 1st pair?

I get it you like Kempny and try to portray him as the next Lidstrom

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
LOL

He is a #4 in Washington

:laugh:

You're wrong.

He has been playing with Carlson since he was traded there, which is their top pairing. I'm not portraying him as Lidstrom. He's a top pairing D in Washington. He has been since he got there. Just because your're still riding Q's mustache, doesn't mean that we weren't all right about him, and Q was wrong about him. Carlson spends 2/3 of his minutes with Kempny.

62.73%EVCARLSON,JOHN - KEMPNY,MICHAL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
21.65%SHCARLSON,JOHN - KEMPNY,MICHAL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And on the flip-side of that, Kempny plays 75% of his minutes with Carlson.

74.29%EVCARLSON,JOHN - KEMPNY,MICHAL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I would argue the meaning of terms 1st pairing and this manner of sports terms are always silly. Just like numbered line debates.

He plays with Carlson mostly always and still plays 4th most icetime mainly. And the "2nd pairing" of Orlov and Niskanen both play more in 5on5.

1st pairing or not, hes their 4th. 4th or not hes important to their team and was during the cup

Reactions: hockeydoug

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I would argue the meaning of terms 1st pairing and this manner of sports terms are always silly. Just like numbered line debates.

He plays with Carlson mostly always and still plays 4th most icetime mainly. And the "2nd pairing" of Orlov and Niskanen both play more in 5on5.

1st pairing or not, hes their 4th. 4th or not hes important to their team and was during the cup

No.

The only reason he's 4th in minutes is because he doesn't play on the PP... like at all.

He's their top pairing D next to Carlson. There is really no debating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad