GBU The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Big Dubs; Win 6-4 in Ottawa

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
My opinion on the player season-to-date is mixed, but when the door opens to use Statler and Waldorf for effect <please read the caption in their voice>, one must enter that portal with a confident stride...

RE: Owen Power
Lol what a rude ass comment

He was really bad last game but I think he’s been our most consistent defender.

1698254606147.jpeg

Consistent? Yeah, consistently bad!!!

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My opinion on the player season-to-date is mixed, but when the door opens to use Statler and Waldorf for effect <please read the caption in their voice>, one must enter that portal with a confident stride...

RE: Owen Power

View attachment 757786
Consistent? Yeah, consistently bad!!!

You think THATS bad, wait till you see his cap hit next year

1698258166160.png

Reactions: cardiffgiant

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I also want to state this that I was wrong on EJ. I thought he was washed but I have watched him these last few games intently because he is so good and up and off the glass and out. This team has spent years getting burnt on exits and this dude handles them with a solid first pass or up and out when under duress. Clifton does it too but it seems like all dmen are conforming to that game as I haven't seen a ton of going back into their zone or doing the cross ice deep in your dzone type crap over the past 3 games.
He was a 1st round draft choice, won a Stanley Cup 2 seasons ago, was the anchor on the Avs defense until Makar arrived, sat out some large portions of the final few seasons due to nagging injuries and still has some hockey and gas left in the tank.

He can still go end to end and charge the net with the puck on his stick. His slap shot remains potent.

He deserves more minutes. I would take them away from Power.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
He was a 1st round draft choice, won a Stanley Cup 2 seasons ago, was the anchor on the Avs defense until Makar arrived, sat out some large portions of the final few seasons due to nagging injuries and still has some hockey and gas left in the tank.

He can still go end to end and charge the net with the puck on his stick. His slap shot remains potent.

Personally I feel while he’s been solid, that’s about all he can handle in ice time at this point of his career. We need him for as many games as possible and the more minutes we load on, the likelier he falls off faster

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
G :
- Skinner is feeling it this year, probably less pressure on him to not have to be the only goal scoring option
- This felt like a throwback game to 05-06 energy-wise
- Samuelsson was literally perfect, I watched him make at least 3 just incredibly sound plays. So lucky to have him
- Mitts was great. I hated his game against NYR and he's been incredible since then
- UPL played as good of a game as you can expect from him but I still feel better w/ Comrie in there for now
- Benson on the bench messing w/ Tarasenko, he's destined to be a fan favorite for years

B :
- We've all heard about Stutzle's diwves but even without that he looks to me like a puck hog.
- Chabot kinda sucks too, Sanderson looks 1000x better than him
- I'll admit he made some good plays but my blood pressure shoots through the roof every time Clifton touches the puck.

U :
- Refs didn't know what they were doing, didn't have things under control at all. Doesn't matter too much now but we can't have this in the late season
what did Benson do ? Sorry about the bold text...it wouldn't let me shut it off lol

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

It's great to a number 6 tearing it up playing real D

He's such a dirty little piss baby. Someone needs to f***ing blast him. Maybe Reaves the next time they play the laffs. Anyone on this team that could smoke him? Greenway? Zemgus? Maybe Power:sarcasm:?
Best fighter on our team is Tage Thompson. Seen alot of his dads

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It's great to a number 6 tearing it up playing real D

Best fighter on our team is Tage Thompson. Seen alot of his dads
I'm sure they don't like to see him with his gloves off but I wouldn't mind Tage putting his hands on other players more. A lot of defenders put all of their weight leaning into him and some pretty basic leverage techniques could make him a lot more room.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Tage throws like his dad

Yeah but those hands can be put to better use. Can't find the preseason clip of him tossing the defender but he was charging down the right wing protecting the puck with a smaller defender draped on him. Quick stop and a shove sent the defender skidding on the ice into the boards.

I don't think it resulted in a goal but consequently there were 4 defenders on the ice and the D were pulled out of position for 3 or 4 seconds. Tage has the unique reach and body to protect the puck with one hand while eliminating defenders with skating and a free hand. They have no choice but to lean in hard on him when he puts his head down. Just help their momentum carry them into the 2nd row.

The only way to defend is give him room or commit a penalty and neither of those things are really defending.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Yeah but those hands can be put to better use. Can't find the preseason clip of him tossing the defender but he was charging down the right wing protecting the puck with a smaller defender draped on him. Quick stop and a shove sent the defender skidding on the ice into the boards.

I don't think it resulted in a goal but consequently there were 4 defenders on the ice and the D were pulled out of position for 3 or 4 seconds. Tage has the unique reach and body to protect the puck with one hand while eliminating defenders with skating and a free hand. They have no choice but to lean in hard on him when he puts his head down. Just help their momentum carry them into the 2nd row.

The only way to defend is give him room or commit a penalty and neither of those things are really defending.
That's the Josh allen debate. Let him do what he feels and he'll be fine. Watching tage pummel one dude ( I forget who) , he isn't fragile. By reminding the league of their destruction for cheap shots he might be protecting himself, long term.

Reactions: Matt Ress

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
For a team that desperately needed a win, and a fanbase that desperately wanted to see said team win, there are a whole lot of "they won, buts" in here!
I think it's pretty reasonable to enjoy watching the Sabres win that game and still come to the conclusion that they played just as poorly as they have in every other game so far this season and that the win came down to luck. (aside from the 2nd Islanders game where they played really well)

This team has struggled to score many tipped goals under Granato, and we scored off 3 tips in the first 2 periods. That's just luck.

We generated the same number of high danger chances as we did against Montreal, and gave up almost as many.

14 High danger chances for the Sens
8 for the Sabres.

We have only played 1 game this season where we generated more high danger chances than we gave up. We've given up double digit high danger chances in all but 1 game. Averaging 13.4 against per game, good for 6th worst in the league. And we're generating the 2nd fewest high danger chances for in the league. We're the 3rd worst team in the league in high danger chances %

And we got destroyed in shot attempts, shots, scoring chances. Which yes, is in large part due to score effects of sitting back with the lead. But as we've repeatedly seen with this team is a horrible, horrible strategy. How has Granato not learned that it's not safe for this team to sit back and "protect" a lead?

We've got to give up more late goals while "protecting the lead" than any other team in the league.

Stop trying to do it.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

I'd give him a few extra shifts, I dunno if it's age or looking for hope in this team but I have never seen a player make clearing or zone exits so easy and quick. Even when it's up and off the glass, the other team grabs it and we are reset and looking to intercept the next rush. It's real wild seeing our team do it, hell Joki has been doing it l.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
No, we don't want Tage fightin, are ya'll insane? Bring up our best ahl thug next time we play Ottawa, or sign Rob Ray. Maybe he'll get inspired and join a beer league, quit his excrutiatingly bad commentating.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I'm curious why you feel he's been playing well. He's struggled quite a lot defensively since the season started.
I think he’s been fine defensively, admittedly the Montreal game was a disaster.

Prior to the Ottawa game he had the highest xG among defenseman on the roster. He was the only one activating through the neutral zone offensively and trying to make plays in the offensive specifically, Dahlin I feel hasn’t done his usual Dahlin things albeit racking up points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad