GBU The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Big Dubs; Win 6-4 in Ottawa

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
G :
- Skinner is feeling it this year, probably less pressure on him to not have to be the only goal scoring option
- This felt like a throwback game to 05-06 energy-wise
- Samuelsson was literally perfect, I watched him make at least 3 just incredibly sound plays. So lucky to have him
- Mitts was great. I hated his game against NYR and he's been incredible since then
- UPL played as good of a game as you can expect from him but I still feel better w/ Comrie in there for now
- Benson on the bench messing w/ Tarasenko, he's destined to be a fan favorite for years

B :
- We've all heard about Stutzle's dives but even without that he looks to me like a puck hog.
- Chabot kinda sucks too, Sanderson looks 1000x better than him
- I'll admit he made some good plays but my blood pressure shoots through the roof every time Clifton touches the puck.

U :
- Refs didn't know what they were doing, didn't have things under control at all. Doesn't matter too much now but we can't have this in the late season
He played god awful. Redeemed himself with the two assists but his first period may have been the worst hockey I have seen from him in years.

I think he has been our worst.
Power has been a bit hot and cold this season. There was a game in there he was our clear best D.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That was the most UPL game ever and seems to happen to him quite often. Plays great for 50 minutes and then gets multiple goals scored on him late. Went from a .930 sv% in that game to a sub .900. Did he have a good game? I have no idea.
Capture.PNG

This tells me that he stopped all the medium and long range shots that you want stopped, he was good on a lot of high danger shots in the slot, and you want him to be better on those low angle shots.

So, more good than bad. But, like most things, there are areas of his game to clean up.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
The one thing I'd like to see UPL work on is his side to side speed. He has all the tools, but it's this weird thing where he doesn't make use of his size in some situations, and then appears to rely on his size for side to side and he's not as big as he thinks.

Was nice to see the team jump out to a big lead. Before the season started I was thinking I wish they started with a road trip instead of a home stand. Hopefully last night was a turning point.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
He played god awful. Redeemed himself with the two assists but his first period may have been the worst hockey I have seen from him in years.
Hmm I guess a meh first period, but Mitts was our best forward by the eye test and by the fancy stats... He's been our best forward (player tbh, he's been more consistent than Dahlin) through seven games and it's not really that close even with Greenway's excellent defensive detail and possession game.

lecherous

Apr 11, 2002
Rochester, NY
www.voteforrory.com
Benson hasn't been a liability but he hasn't been a factor largely either. I don't think he should stay. I wouldn't mind signing Kane for a year to take that spot and then Quinn take Olofsson as we ship Olofsson out.

I can see your point (though I don't want Kane at all), but since he's not a liability I think you have to keep a dynamic player like him around. He seems to fit in really well with this squad so I think a year up getting used to the rigors of an NHL schedule & bonding with the team will be a lot better for his development than torching the WHL again. In a perfect world him and UPL probably belong in Rochester but we've gotta adjust.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

Power has been a bit hot and cold this season. There was a game in there he was our clear best D.
yes 1 game but certainly not the best/consistent D through 7 games like on poster proclaimed earlier

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Hmm I guess a meh first period, but Mitts was our best forward by the eye test and by the fancy stats... He's been our best forward (player tbh, he's been more consistent than Dahlin) through seven games and it's not really that close even with Greenway's excellent defensive detail and possession game.
I think he got the most ice time for fwds last night

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I think Mitts is our best forward right now. It isn’t easy centering Tuch and Skinner at 5v5 right now. They are still trying to get in their groove.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I turned the game off with ~ half the 3rd left when my wife got home and it looked like the win was secure. We were up 5-1. I know we got the win but, what happened?! Was it the team's ongoing struggles with focus in the waning minutes? UPL being bad after a great 50 minutes? Both?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
That's why it was so noticeable, everything exploded on his stick. Turnovers as well.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He was really bad last game but I think he’s been our most consistent defender.
Nah. He played better against the Sens.....but taken as a whole over the first 7 games, he's been our worst defenseman and it's not particularly close.

Which is a good thing. It means that our other D are actually playing well. And it's not like Power has been AHL quality or anything.....he's just doing young guy things mostly.

Reactions: debaser66

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Nah. He played better against the Sens.....but taken as a whole over the first 7 games, he's been our worst defenseman and it's not particularly close.

Which is a good thing. It means that our other D are actually playing well. And it's not like Power has been AHL quality or anything.....he's just doing young guy things mostly.
I am on the side that Power has been one of our best D. Mistakes are glaring for sure and the Montreal game was dreadful but he has mostly been steady with good underlying #s. Particularly have enjoyed his work in transition and the O zone.

Overall the D have all been pretty good, EJ and Sammy are a beastly PK duo and shoutout to Joker who is playing some of his best hockey in a Sabres uniform (playing with Power helps).

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Stutzle already had the reputation among refs last season as a diver. I guess the crew last night hasn't been burned by him yet, but I expect he'll have to lose a couple teeth to get a call for a while now. You just can't go that long embarrassing them, unless there's a lot of turnover with new refs working games a lot.

Greenway is such a great addition right now, and I expect he'll keep playing like this. Easily worth a 2nd and 5th, and maybe even making it hard to not re-sign him in two summers.

UPL was really good so I can't figure out what the critics were seeing. A couple TEAM breakdowns at the end ruined his numbers, and even two of those were PK mistakes brought on by shit calls. The issue is whether he can improve and be consistent, especially with a 3-man rotation.

Great to see an apparent focus on getting in the slot and causing some net-front havoc. Can't remember the last time they scored three tip-ins.

Mitts is still proving himself as a guy they need to keep.

Reactions: oldgoalie

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I turned the game off with ~ half the 3rd left when my wife got home and it looked like the win was secure. We were up 5-1. I know we got the win but, what happened?! Was it the team's ongoing struggles with focus in the waning minutes? UPL being bad after a great 50 minutes? Both?
No chance on two of the goals. UPL played well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00