The GM Mode Prospect Thread

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What's the best you've seen 2.5 green star players become?

And if they're on a team before the first draft who are they?

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
What's the best you've seen 2.5 green star players become?

And if they're on a team before the first draft who are they?
In GMC, 81 OVR while he was still green. I've seen a couple of 2.5s (1 yellow, 1 green) hit 82 OVR in their late-20s.

Yann Sauve was the guy who hit 81 in my GMC. He's pretty much fluctuated between 78-80 ever since.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
There are often these 4.5* goalies late in round 1 of year 1 draft. Which goalie should I pick?

Guindon or Cooke?

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
GM Mode has a 7 yrs on Eastside Hockey Manager yet is not much better than that series.

The prospect system is broken. Too many 19-20 and even some 21 year olds being 1st round talents. How many times does an overager go in the first round? Sure there are some but not like a good half as is the case with GM mode.

This has been mentioned before but the way Prospects develop is stupid. Too many players are not ready till they are 26 wheras in the NHL any player that is going to be something is in the NHL by 23. Sure there are exceptions but GM Mode takes it to a crazy level.

Simulation is not fun and is overall too easy. You can pretty much take any team and turn them into Presidents Trophy winners in 2-4 years. I wish EA spent some time and made the Hockey equivalent of 'Football Manager'. There is a market for a purely GM mode strategy game and it's a shame that no one is taking a chance on it

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
GM Mode has a 7 yrs on Eastside Hockey Manager yet is not much better than that series.

The prospect system is broken. Too many 19-20 and even some 21 year olds being 1st round talents. How many times does an overager go in the first round? Sure there are some but not like a good half as is the case with GM mode.

This has been mentioned before but the way Prospects develop is stupid. Too many players are not ready till they are 26 wheras in the NHL any player that is going to be something is in the NHL by 23. Sure there are exceptions but GM Mode takes it to a crazy level.

Simulation is not fun and is overall too easy. You can pretty much take any team and turn them into Presidents Trophy winners in 2-4 years. I wish EA spent some time and made the Hockey equivalent of 'Football Manager'. There is a market for a purely GM mode strategy game and it's a shame that no one is taking a chance on it
Well, there are some exceptions, like Martin St. Louis who really didn't become a decent NHLer until he was well into his 20s (27, IIRC) and Tim Thomas, who was in his 30s before he really became elite.

But, you're right. Most of the prospects should be 18-year-olds, with a few 17 (turning 18 before SEP 15) and 19-year-olds mixed in. Very rarely should a 20-year-old be drafted.

I'm hoping FHM becomes a quality sim. I'm starting to lose faith, though.

hyperlime88

Feb 16, 2014
I drafted a slovak goalie in the 7th round of the 2014 draft in my Calgary GM. His name was Daniel Gibl and had 2.5 yellow star potential and became 80 overall at 27 years old.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If you want an easy way to see if your prospect is likely to develop, check how much they want to sign an 8 year deal. Markstrom and the 79 overall (4.5 star) goalie I drafted never once gained a single point. They were willing to sign for 8 years at under 2 million. Meanwhile, my 3rd string goalie wanted a huge contract... And he ended up 89 overall

BigBadBruins63*

Anyone know how Ristolainen turns out? D-man for Buffalo. TWD with good size (only 19 years old) 74 overall with 4 yellow stars.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
So far in my Edmonton GM i've only seen one 5 star player, i'm starting the 2024-25 season right now

Michal Ivanans (1st OVR, 2019, OFD, 94 OVR, 5): I tried to trade up for him at the draft but I could't get him so I traded Eberle straight up for him after the draft, that was the best decision i've ever made :laugh:. He started off at 65 OVR but the next season he was 82 OVR and won the Calder and Norris

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Anyone know how Ristolainen turns out? D-man for Buffalo. TWD with good size (only 19 years old) 74 overall with 4 yellow stars.

For me it took him over 7 years to reach 80 ovr. By that time, he was 4 red stars and practically worthless. In the 2013 draft class, Mueller and Jones and the only ones who turn out good for me.

BigBadBruins63*

For me it took him over 7 years to reach 80 ovr. By that time, he was 4 red stars and practically worthless. In the 2013 draft class, Mueller and Jones and the only ones who turn out good for me.

thanks. I actually traded for Ceci instead. Guess i chose right!

Ukgoalie

Aug 25, 2013
Def try getting lack, helenius and markstrom in your first year. They all bump up to healthy trade value for what you give up.

BigBadBruins63*

Def try getting lack, helenius and markstrom in your first year. They all bump up to healthy trade value for what you give up.

I traded for Lack. 83 in my third year, though his trade value isn't that high, i like him as a backup to Tuukka (who will be moved soon due to his hefty contract, and having Malcolm Subban ready).

Eagles MA

Sep 9, 2011
I almost forgot trading for Läck, but I got him in August at 77 OVR (for an older backup who was 78 OVR) and he jumped to 85 by September.

I also signed 20 year old G Oscar Dansk (4 yellow stars) at 58 OVR who then jumped to 66, then 68, and eventually to 70 to start the season.

And I recommend trading for Ben Hanowski, got him at 72 at the draft and he just kept getting better during the off-season. Now he's 81 OVR with a great wrist shot.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Here's some other ones:

Bust: Valentin Zykov (37th overall, 2013, 4, SNP):
Traded a boatload for this guy hoping he would play with Patches and Galchenyuk. After 4 disappointing season he dropped to 4 and I traded him. I think he topped out at low 80's or high 70's.

Boom: Sam Povorozniouk (29th overall, 2015, 3.5, TWF):
Straight out of the draft i thought he was gonna be a bust but after going up almost 5 points every year he's now 83 overall on my second line in 2020.

Boom: Connor Crisp (71st overall 2013, 2013, 3.5, GRN):
He kept on developing every year and now he's 82 overall in 2020 on my 3rd line.​

For my game Zykov topped at 87 overall and became a constant 50goal scorer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad