The GM Mode Prospect Thread

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
BEST Way To Develop Newly Drafted Prospect With High Potential?

It seems this happens to me every year, I give up an arm and a leg for the number one overall draft pick maybe once every 5 years, and I draft a player that ends up staying at a 68-74 rating his entire career.

I have Max Domi, his potential rating is 4 stars out of 5, but he's a 60 rating....so what I did was send him back to Juniors for 2 consecutive seasons. What do I get back? A friggin 64 rating. Same thing happened to Laurent Dauphin, he was a green star potential rating, 4 out of 5 stars....now he's 3.5 stars and their yellow, and he went from a 56 to a 60.

So I'm making this thread because those of you who know hockey, you know that Connor McDavid is about to enter our sport in 2015 (if that name does not sound familiar, google/youtube him, could possibly be the best player drafted since 2005) and i just traded for the #1 overall pick and got him in the 2015 draft, so you know I don't want to let the same thing happen to him.

anybody have any tips on doing this correctly? I see players drafted in 2012 up at 89 ratings, so I know it's possible. Should I avoid juniors? I can't send him down without sending him their, so should I leave him on the NHL roster?

Thanks!

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Ive been playing the game for years and it seems beneficial to send them down to juniors for every season they are eligible. I also don't sign them to a rookie contract right away until the season before I lose their rights. Im not sure if that makes a difference. Seems like the best way is for you to play them in the minors with a few other guys that are too good for the minors (like a couple high 70s overall guys) and then hope they rip it up. If you have too many highly ranked prospects though, it will stunt the growth because there isnt enough ice time/points for them to accumulate. It seems kind of random though so Im not sure if there is a hard and fast rule.

FlyingSkate

Sep 17, 2012
Ive been playing the game for years and it seems beneficial to send them down to juniors for every season they are eligible. I also don't sign them to a rookie contract right away until the season before I lose their rights. Im not sure if that makes a difference. Seems like the best way is for you to play them in the minors with a few other guys that are too good for the minors (like a couple high 70s overall guys) and then hope they rip it up. If you have too many highly ranked prospects though, it will stunt the growth because there isnt enough ice time/points for them to accumulate. It seems kind of random though so Im not sure if there is a hard and fast rule.

Bolded, I do the same thing. Unless the prospects are ready for the NHL, I don't sign them until the last possible year. Or, sometimes, if the draftees come from Europe/20+ years old, I sign them if I think they can produce in the AHL.

I also sign a couple of depth-players/4th liners who can score/AHL scorers and try to line up two of those guys with a lower-overall (60s~) prospect in the AHL, or one prospect with one veteran offensive defenseman. Some players that I like are Anthony Stewart, Cam Barker, etc, guys who will sign two-way contracts and put up big points in the A.

In my opinion, some players appear to have a "scripted" progression. Like in NHL 13, Hunter Shinkaruk always got to 88-90+, depending on linemates. On the other hand, someone like Bo Horvat (and Max Domi) would never pass 70 for me. One time though, on a fantasy draft, Zack Kassian, who hovered around a 4th liner-3rd line scorer in the 10 previous GM modes I played, jumped to something like 86 ovr after two years. He played with Claude Giroux and another All-Star caliber LW in Ottawa.

It also seems like created players have very strong growth, at least in past versions of the game. Have yet to create any prospects in NHL 14.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
Another poster here hypothesized that players that have a fast growth tend to have high shooting attributes, especially shooting accuracies, and I tend to agree with that based on personal experience, and again I think people tend to focus too much on the overall rating as opposed to the individual ratings of players.

I think ratings like WSA and SSA do not go up as much as other things like Offensive Awareness and Defensive Awareness. At most you're looking at probably 15 points into each of these attributes when they are young, with small incremental changes afterwards.

That means a player drafted with 60 WSA/SSA can at best hope to have those values in the mid-70s. Now couple that with the fact that player progression is not linear, a young player going from 60 WSA/SSA to 75 WSA/SSA might gain 4 overall points, where as a player going from 75 WSA/SSA to 90 WSA/SSA might gain 10 points overall. Both gained the same amount in the individual attribute, but for one there is the appearance that progression went faster.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
It seems this happens to me every year, I give up an arm and a leg for the number one overall draft pick maybe once every 5 years, and I draft a player that ends up staying at a 68-74 rating his entire career.

I have Max Domi, his potential rating is 4 stars out of 5, but he's a 60 rating....so what I did was send him back to Juniors for 2 consecutive seasons. What do I get back? A friggin 64 rating. Same thing happened to Laurent Dauphin, he was a green star potential rating, 4 out of 5 stars....now he's 3.5 stars and their yellow, and he went from a 56 to a 60.

So I'm making this thread because those of you who know hockey, you know that Connor McDavid is about to enter our sport in 2015 (if that name does not sound familiar, google/youtube him, could possibly be the best player drafted since 2005) and i just traded for the #1 overall pick and got him in the 2015 draft, so you know I don't want to let the same thing happen to him.

anybody have any tips on doing this correctly? I see players drafted in 2012 up at 89 ratings, so I know it's possible. Should I avoid juniors? I can't send him down without sending him their, so should I leave him on the NHL roster?

Thanks!

According to the developers it's a simple dice roll. In-game actions don't determine prospect growth. There's more variety in this dice roll in NHL 14, so just because a player jumps from a 70 to 80 in one leauge doesn't mean it will happen in another one.

So to answer your question....cross your fingers ;)

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
In this thread you can answer or ask questions about developing prospects or tell us about some players you have drafted and developed. I'll start:

Bust: Jesper Jannsen (1st overall, 2016, OFD, 4.5): He dropped to red stars after leading the AHL in scoring as a defenseman. He never passed 84 overall or topped 30 points.

Boom: Aaron Ekblad (15th overall, 2014, TWD, 4.5): He dropped to red stars after another year in junior but got better. He went from 58 out of the draft to 63, 74, 83 and now he's 87 playing with Subban on my top pairing.

Boom: Blake Clarke (3rd overall, 2015, PLY, 4.5): He dropped to red stars after a year in junior but developed soomething like Ekblad. He went from 50 something out of the draft but at 19 years old he was something in the high 70's. Now he's 87 playing with Galchenyuk on my first line.

Boom: Alex Galchenyuk: After having a great sophomore season, he jumped from 4.5 to 4.5.

I'm curious about some other stories :)

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Here's some other ones:

Bust: Valentin Zykov (37th overall, 2013, 4, SNP):
Traded a boatload for this guy hoping he would play with Patches and Galchenyuk. After 4 disappointing season he dropped to 4 and I traded him. I think he topped out at low 80's or high 70's.

Boom: Sam Povorozniouk (29th overall, 2015, 3.5, TWF):
Straight out of the draft i thought he was gonna be a bust but after going up almost 5 points every year he's now 83 overall on my second line in 2020.

Boom: Connor Crisp (71st overall 2013, 2013, 3.5, GRN):
He kept on developing every year and now he's 82 overall in 2020 on my 3rd line.​

you Giroux it for me

Feb 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Jonathan Drouin
2014/2015 - GP: 78 G: 46 A: 44 P: 90
2015/2016 - GP: 81 G: 54 A: 58 P: 112
so far,
2016/2017 - GP: 67 G: 45 A: 53 P: 98

He is the best prospect/player I've ever had in an NHL game. Stuck him on a line centered by MacKinnon, with Gaborik on the other side

NormMac

Nov 23, 2011
Calgary
Drafted a Jess Tanguy in year 2 in the 3rd round. 71 ovr. was an 81 by the end of the year and he has a 98 wrist shot power and 96 accuracy with 99 off awareness.

pacman25

Mar 15, 2013
I just started a new game wih the latest roster updates, and i drafted Aaron Ekblad first overall and he was a 58 overall but he had 5 gold star potential

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Boom: Laurent Dauphin (SNP, C, 3.5)
I don't have him, but every time I do a GM mode he becomes 85-86 overall with regular 40 goal seasons. Worth the trade for.

Boom: Ben Hanowski (TWF, RW, 3.5)
Same deal as Dauphin basically, but a little older and better defensively

Bust: Brayden Schenn (TWF, C, 4.5) Gave up an arm and a leg for him and played him on the second line behind Monahan and he stayed at 83 overall, despite 2 60 point seasons. Traded along with a 2018 1st round pick for Nikita Kucherov (PLY, RW, 87 overall, 4.5)

Ukgoalie

Aug 25, 2013
Great value prospects ( awesome to flip the):
Helenius gk TBL
Lack gk van
Markstrom gk fl
Hovinen gk edm
Summers def pho
Peckham def chi
Gryba def ott
Ferrerio c det
Frattin rw la
Sometimes I've have save at the next pre season and then load my save game to get full values.

Other cheap to acquire prospects are
Erne, kucherov,and rychel, all have 4.5 red and are dirt cheap.

Last edited:

pacman25

Mar 15, 2013
Has anyone else noticed that there seem to he alot more 5 star players now. In my first file that i started at the release i inly saw 2-3 5 star players overall but in my latest file there has been a 5 star prospect in each of the first 4 drafts.

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
I'm still early in my Dynasty, but I had one guy boom and do exactly what I wanted from him.

Boom Tye McGinn 26 yrs old Grinder 77 Overall 3 red stars

He has been a main stay on my 3rd line since my second season, putting up 30 points and putting up a good physical presence.

Theman305

Jul 3, 2013
Boom: Anthony Deangelo D 4.5 star red 2014 Draft, 38th overall. I played him in AHL until he got up to a 84, which happened after 3 years, he won as a defensemen most points in AHL in his final season there, then I put him on forward line in NHL and after 3 years in NHL, 2 of them Stanley Cups, he got to a 87ovr.

Bust Nick Ritchie LW 4 star green 2014 3rd overall, he got to 61 after 4,5 years, I traded him.

Bust Sam Reinhart 4.5 star yellow 2014 15th overall, he got to 67 after 4,5 years, I traded him with Ritchie

Boom Aaron Ekblad 4.5 star yellow 2014 13th overall, he got up to 89 in 5 years, and he is in his prime right now with that. His potential has never drop for me

Boom Ryan Murray 4.5 star yellow, drop to red 2012 2nd overall, got him after 1 year when he just had droped, traded him for like nothing, now he is 87 after 5 years after the trade

Bust/Boom Hunter Shinkaruk 4.5 star yellow 2013, 23rd overall, after 6 years, he is 77ovr, he is getting up there, but it takes a lot of time to progress for him.

Bust/Boom Sean Monahan 4.5 star yellow 2013 6th overall he is 76ovr, same as Shinkaruk

In my GM: Bust Laurent Daulphin 3.5 star green 2013 draft 39th overall, after 6 years, he is 68-72ovr, I know in other GM:s, he gets awesome, but not in my

Theman305

Jul 3, 2013
Has anyone else noticed that there seem to he alot more 5 star players now. In my first file that i started at the release i inly saw 2-3 5 star players overall but in my latest file there has been a 5 star prospect in each of the first 4 drafts.

Yeah, I know. After McDavid draft, 2/4 drafts has it been 1 5 star guy in each. I got both :yo: My names on them is: Ted Visentin, D drafted in 2016 draft, 81ovr when i drafted him, got up to 89 after one year, then next 91.
My other is Clifford Medvec LW, 2019 draft, drafted 82ovr. Hasn't been playing after I drafted him. And in 2018, there was a 83ovr guy called Parent, LW 4.5 star green, I don't have Parent so I don't how much he has progressed.

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
Just now drafted a guy by the name of Dylan Hood 80overall Center TWF 4.5 yellow stars. I'll keep y'all posted

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
Bust Cameron Gaunce 3 yellow stars 76 overall final rating

Bust Toni Rajala 3.5 red stars 77 Overall Rating

Bust Andrew Agozzino 2.5 yellow stars 74 overall rating

Bust Scott Timmins 2.5 yellow stars 74 overall rating

BOOM: Sam Reinhart 4.5 yellow I think after one year on the second line which he played only 36 games due to injury he went from his signing rateing of 78 to a 80 just about to go to free agency so expect him to climb higher.

Ukgoalie

Aug 25, 2013
Rajala is 4.5 red on mine and after 5 seasons he has ended up as a 81ovr still with 4.5 red stars.

Bust Cameron Gaunce 3 yellow stars 76 overall final rating

Bust Toni Rajala 3.5 red stars 77 Overall Rating

Bust Andrew Agozzino 2.5 yellow stars 74 overall rating

Bust Scott Timmins 2.5 yellow stars 74 overall rating

BOOM: Sam Reinhart 4.5 yellow I think after one year on the second line which he played only 36 games due to injury he went from his signing rateing of 78 to a 80 just about to go to free agency so expect him to climb higher.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
What does the 2015 Draft class look like in terms of quality? Are there a lot of 4 star Defensemen?

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
What does the 2015 Draft class look like in terms of quality? Are there a lot of 4 star Defensemen?

I got on with the second overall pick, however in 2018 he is just a 64 so far. I picked up better players in later drafts. In 2018 I picked up a guy 4.5 yellow stars 77 overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad