The GM Mode Prospect Thread

Liltimmer094

Nov 30, 2013
I just drafted a defensive d man. Roman Smid in the 6th round of 2014 draft. 3red stars but came out of the draft with a 73 overall.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
Who is the toughest Defenseman in the 2014 Draft in terms of Aggressiveness, Checking, and Fighting?

I'm looking for that role to be filled in my team's organization and I don't care if he's Round 4 quality or Round 7...

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
In the 2016 offseason I was looking to find a good up and coming dman when I stumbled across Colorado and noticed that Stefan Elliot was a 95 ovr with 99 speed 99 def and off awareness and passing. This was on July 1, so I gave up a good chunk of my prospect pool and a star player to get him. I then simulated to pre-season and was setting up my lineup just to notice that he was now an 87 ovr and all his crazy stats were now down to high 80s. Did anyone else notice this or encounter this problem? He still has full trade value just not as good stat wise

pacman25

Mar 15, 2013
In the 2016 offseason I was looking to find a good up and coming dman when I stumbled across Colorado and noticed that Stefan Elliot was a 95 ovr with 99 speed 99 def and off awareness and passing. This was on July 1, so I gave up a good chunk of my prospect pool and a star player to get him. I then simulated to pre-season and was setting up my lineup just to notice that he was now an 87 ovr and all his crazy stats were now down to high 80s. Did anyone else notice this or encounter this problem? He still has full trade value just not as good stat wise

Yah i noiced that elliot was up to an 88 overall and his trade value was fulp so colorado gave him an 11 million dollar deal but his overall fell back to 85 soon and his trade value went down to about a quarter.

Gumballthechewy

Chew On Me!
Jan 3, 2012
The Mountains
I started a GM mode with the Canucks and immediately traded Jensen and a 3rd for Tarasenko (gotta have a Russian :P ) and he never surpassed 84 overall, not one of his offensive stats surpassed 90 either.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Yah i noiced that elliot was up to an 88 overall and his trade value was fulp so colorado gave him an 11 million dollar deal but his overall fell back to 85 soon and his trade value went down to about a quarter.

Tends to happen when a player exceeds his potential. I had Doug hamilton up around a 92 after a monster year and then he fell down to an 88 and fluctuated from 87-89 from there on out.

Redwings21

Dec 22, 2013
Boom: Oleg frolov. 1st overall year after mcdavid was drafted. 2016 I think. 5 green stars. Vancouver drafted him but I traded for him and now he's 92 overall. He's a defenseman, playing with Seth jones (90overall).

Boom: Curtis valk. Picked him up off waivers because he had 4.5 gold star potential. 78 when I picked him up, turned to 88 by the next season.

Boom: j. Hajt. 1st overall year after frolov. 86 right now but still has good potential. Playing second line with valk and mackinnon (88)

Boom: m cramarossa. 2nd overall same year as mcdavid. 89 right now playing top line with drouin (89) and stamkos (92)

I also traded for hajt and cramarossa. I don't bother drafting them, it's less risky to trade for them afterwards.
Shwartz and tarasenko peaked at 86 so I traded them before the trade value declined. Tarasenko for hajt and Schwartz for a first overall pick
Ryan Ellis is also 87 overall for the record. (I am Ottawa)

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
traded for a 2018 goalie named clinton parker..

70 ov, 5 yellow stars. by year 2 he was 82 ov, by year 3 a 90 ov.

also, traded lehner early 2019/ 2020 season(after acquiring parker) for wpg 1st, turned out as #2 ov and Drafted a kid named Serge Simard:

83 ov (when drafted!)
4.5 yellow stars

still in his first season, no growth yet.

COB15

Dec 30, 2013
I have two 5 green star players on my team, some guy Benjamin Stoner, 97 OVR OFD but I play him on the wing because his shooting, and puck skills, and skating are pretty much all 99. His defense is shutdown so he a great PK guy. Play him on a line with Sam Reinhart and Connor McDavid who both have 99 off awareness and passing. they each have at least 90 points every year. The other guy is a 5 green star goalie who is also 97 OVR, name is Jim Konowalchuk,only a couple 99s in his stats but just overall a disgusting goalie. All players mentioned are on their "Big Boy" contracts and I'm still 6 mil under the cap

I also have this TWD Kelvin O'Brien who is 5 yellow stars, only 88 OVR right now but he only 23, Great defensively and an offensive contributor

Here are my lines (Im in year 2023 or something like that and a lot of the players are from drafts where is makes up names, so just bear with me)

Reinhart 91- McDavid 90- Stoner 97
Lie- 85 -Skvortsov-86- Faikov-88
Hussey-84-Picard-83-Passy-82

4th line doesn't really matter
Lie (4.5 yellow)Passy(4 yellow), and Hussey(4.5 yellow) are all snipers with shooting states all in the 90's
Faikov (4.5 green) is a TWF with good playmaking stats
Skvortsov(4.5 yellow) has a 96 passing and 95 offesnive awareness

Have a 4.5 green star and a 4.5 yellow star guy in the minors, both snipers

Defense looks like this

O'Brien 88- Ekblad 89
Pouliot 86- Boulton 86
Krug 84- Barrie 85

Boulton is 4.5 yellow
O'Brien is 5 yellow

Goalies
Konowalchuk 97
Nylander-81 (Got Good reflexes though)

Don't forget, I'm still 6 mil under the cap

That is where I am at now, thanks for reading

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
first year as GM for the kings and traded to get a top 5 draft pick. Draft day cmoes, Colorado gets 1st overall. I'm expecting Reinhart or Ekblad to get drafted, but the first 2 picks were goalies. I went to check them out and the Colorado goalie was a green 5 star goalie starting at 49 overall. Immediatly traded for him when I could even if I have Jonathan Quick. By year 3, he was 91 overall and still has much more growing. The goaltending duo of Quick and my other goalie is going to one for the decades. :yo:

Jack of Blades

Nov 14, 2013
Dallas
I drafted this American, Joey Conroy, 1st overall in the 2019 draft with the Islanders. A very rare full 5 stars, he entered the NHL right away and was an 81 overall his rookie year. About two years later, he's a 93 overall and finished the last season with about 65 assists as a 22 year old :amazed: He's so good he made Tavares expendable, so I traded him for Drouin and change. This dude's gonna be better than Crosby and McDavid.

Him, Ekblad, Drouin, and John Gibson make for a pretty damn good team.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Boom - William Nylander; 4.5-star green potential sniper, but he goes in the SECOND round (I got at the 37th or 38th pick).

Boom - Travis Konecny - 4.5-star yellow potential center playmaker in the second draft, but he goes in the middle of the first round (I got him at 14th pick I think).

^Two very good players, that go relatively late in their respective draft classes. Nylander a player who should probably be top 5 in his draft year goes in the second round, and Nylander who could probably be 1st overall ends up going mid-round.

LAKilester

Feb 15, 2012
Surrey, BC
Boom - Julius Honka; 4.5-star red potential offensive-defenseman, he goes in the 3rd round in the Reinhart draft, I got him at 77th. Right now he's 87 ovr in my 4th year and is playing with doughty on my 1st pairing. (hes a righty though)

JGR1517

Jan 8, 2014
Do you guys find it better to trade pre-draft or pre-1st round for the top prospects or do you wait until after the draft and go see their stats then make a trade. Basically I'm looking to see what will cost me less in terms of players/picks.

Sambeyda11

Dec 22, 2013
Now in my third year, I drafted this goalie Bolton pouliot, 4.5 yellow, 20th overall, stuck him in ahl(he was 20) and now to begin my third year he is 83 overall and my startin goalie on winnepeg

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Im sure this has been answered already but i can't find it.

I signed a player to an entry level contract one year after he was drafted and playing in juniors. But he won't come over to the AHL. He's still in the CHL. How do i move him over?

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver

I signed a player to an entry level contract one year after he was drafted and playing in juniors. But he won't come over to the AHL. He's still in the CHL. How do i move him over?

Has to be 20 years old if I'm not mistaken. I always wait for their rights to run out before signing them so I don't encounter this problem.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
Has anyone been basically unable to progress prospects in later years? I'm in like year 17 and all but one of my players are 1st rounders. My team isn't stacked either, my best player is only an 88 OVR and the next best is 86. They also demand far too much money than they're worth, but that's unrelated.

And just to contribute the best player I've ever seen, a different team got a 5 green star OFD that grew to be 98 OVR. They also had Connor McDavid, who grew to be 91 OVR. I want one of those :(

zolar89

Oct 23, 2010

If the player is drafted from the CHL he has to turn 20 by December 31st, or play four years of Junior hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad