Around the NHL 2023-2024

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Man, it’d sure be nice to have Petro…and JBo…and Steen…and ROR…and Gunnarsson…and Fabbri…and Tarasenko…and Bortuzzo…and Sanford…and Maroon…and Schwartz…and Allen…and Edmundson…and Dunn…and Barbashev…and Perron…and Bozak

Let’s turn a big, physical cup winning team into a small, soft team and fire Berube because the team isn’t responding to his style.

Reactions: BlueDream

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
These comments really point to a big key to this offseason, we need to start finding an identity again, and hire a coach that is compatible with the identity we are trying to play with.
Better plan: let’s bring back every single player that’s played here in the last 10 years. Might have to do some cap gymnastics but I think we can manage it.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
if he were 24, sure. he was great. but we need to let go of this idea that if we could only bring back (or had kept) our old stars we would be contenders still. guys age and decline. we need next generation of stars, not last generation.

Yeah, I didn’t mean the current Backes. Just his style of play is severely lacking from this team.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
if he were 24, sure. he was great. but we need to let go of this idea that if we could only bring back (or had kept) our old stars we would be contenders still. guys age and decline. we need next generation of stars, not last generation.
Except plenty of guys we let go are playing at a high level. Very few of them have actually declined much.

But yes, I know you don’t like it when people criticize the Blues.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I believe there are people here who would swap Hellebuyck for Binnington if they could just press a button and make it so. But that would be insane.

Trade a playoff nails goalie for Five Goal Connor? Or Six Goal Connor? Not sure which to settle on, he is giving us both options all series

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I believe there are people here who would swap Hellebuyck for Binnington if they could just press a button and make it so. But that would be insane.

Trade a playoff nails goalie for Five Goal Connor? Or Six Goal Connor? Not sure which to settle on, he is giving us both options all series
Hellabad? Agreed. Give me Binny any day in a 7 game series.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Hellabad? Agreed. Give me Binny any day in a 7 game series.
When I think of really great breaks the Blues got on their 2019 run, one of the first things that comes to mind is Game Two of the first series, it was 3-3 and the 4-3 GWG he gave up was so soft, and Winnipeg had the momentum. Binnington was a definite edge in that series.

It reminded me of a hugely lucky awful goaltending super timely preventative goal the Blues scored earlier in that regular season when Tarasenko scored in the third period on Nashville during the game Jake Allen tried to get in there and destroy the winning streak with a signature slippy slidey third period collapse. (All four of the Preds goals being tapped in from two inches dead center of net.)

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The Tavares signing made some degree of sense when it happened but it always seemed more of a luxury and is probably one of the biggest missteps they made. Someone has to go, I’d imagine it’s Marner, but they can’t just keep doing the same thing.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
The Tavares signing made some degree of sense when it happened but it always seemed more of a luxury and is probably one of the biggest missteps they made. Someone has to go, I’d imagine it’s Marner, but they can’t just keep doing the same thing.
Considering it more than likely affected the contract asks for both Marner and Matthews, signing Tavares absolutely wrecked their cap structure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad