Rumor: The Fourth period: Quick to Leafs?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yikes! I’m trying to recall a time when a first place team ever traded their starter just before the TDL. I doubt it happens tbh. And I doubt that there’s any one better than Andersen available that fits under the cap.
I think the more likely scenario is that they ride whomever is the hottest of Andersen and Campbell going into the playoffs. Then go goalie hunting in the off season.
Moog for Ranford maybe?

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Quick is a sub .900 goalie the past 3 seasons and at 35 he's unlikely to revert back to what he was... even if the Kings retained half, he'd be a negative asset at 2.9 million. The Leafs signed Aaron Dell for 800k and he was .904 the previous 3 seasons

Reactions: 613Leafer

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Quick isn't what he once was but he's still a big game goalie. If the Leafs can sell Andersen and get Quick with 50% retention thats a deal they should definitely consider. Quick/Campbell has worked before, and this Leafs defence is much improved from previous years. Getting a recent Jennings tandem for a combined cap hit under $5m is a no brainer.

Now from an LA perspective, I'm not moving my franchise goalie (even at his... advanced.. age) for anything short of an overpayment, especially at the 50% retention which Toronto would require. I'm perfectly happy letting Quick ride out his days as Petersen's backup.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
According to The Fourth Period who have broken things like the Tavares to the Leafs are now reporting that the Leafs and Kings have spoken about the possibility of Jonathan Quick being traded to Toronto.

Freddy would have to go back and the Kings would probably have retain a portion of Quick but what do you think a deal would look like?
My gosh are u telling u have a source ? Sounds like EKLUND before he really followed hockey

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Quick isn't what he once was but he's still a big game goalie. If the Leafs can sell Andersen and get Quick with 50% retention thats a deal they should definitely consider. Quick/Campbell has worked before, and this Leafs defence is much improved from previous years. Getting a recent Jennings tandem for a combined cap hit under $5m is a no brainer.

Now from an LA perspective, I'm not moving my franchise goalie (even at his... advanced.. age) for anything short of an overpayment, especially at the 50% retention which Toronto would require. I'm perfectly happy letting Quick ride out his days as Petersen's backup.
The issue with that is this isn't 2015 anymore !

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Campbell is a good teammate and solid goalie but he is not better than Quick. Most of Quicks career in LA he hasn’t had much run support. Goalie is a symbiotic position. On a team like Toronto Quick could lock it down. Guy has two cups in which he was pivotal both runs. His age and term aren’t ideal but he is a gamer.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yikes! I’m trying to recall a time when a first place team ever traded their starter just before the TDL. I doubt it happens tbh. And I doubt that there’s any one better than Andersen available that fits under the cap.
I think the more likely scenario is that they ride whomever is the hottest of Andersen and Campbell going into the playoffs. Then go goalie hunting in the off season.

The reality is Freddy isn't getting it done and hasn't for a while now, so if you can move him out, and bring in Quick and get LA to retain salary, because you have to think LA would retain salary, then you potentially solidify your goaltending especially come playoff time and now you have more cap space to do other things.

If you could replace Andersen with Quick at 50% you have the space to do whatever you want at the deadline especially when you factor in Boyd's salary is gone

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Campbell is a good teammate and solid goalie but he is not better than Quick. Most of Quicks career in LA he hasn’t had much run support. Goalie is a symbiotic position. On a team like Toronto Quick could lock it down. Guy has two cups in which he was pivotal both runs. His age and term aren’t ideal but he is a gamer.

The age and term are a concern, but we aren't in 2023 or 2024, this is 2021 and in 2021 the Leafs have a legitimate shot, if you can bring in a proven goalie I say you do it.

Reactions: Schmooley

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Unless it's like Freddy for Quick with retention, I don't see what the deal would be.

Kings get out of most of Quick's remaining contract. Can LTIR Freddy (depending on what this groin injury is like).

Leafs get a "tandem" goalie for just under 3M to play behind Campbell next year, which is likely what their budget is anyway.

Leafs won't give up any real value for Quick.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Kings would be looking for a young defenseman and a pick Something like Anderson Holl and 3rd for Quick at 50 %

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
What is the motivation for LA?? Quicks' cap hit is not an issue. We need a tandem to fight through the reduced schedule while we are in a playoff race. Quick's actual salary next 2 years is cheap and why even bother unless there is a sweetner that the Kings like to go along with Andersen.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Unless it's like Freddy for Quick with retention, I don't see what the deal would be.

Kings get out of most of Quick's remaining contract. Can LTIR Freddy (depending on what this groin injury is like).

Leafs get a "tandem" goalie for just under 3M to play behind Campbell next year, which is likely what their budget is anyway.

Leafs won't give up any real value for Quick.

Unless you paying Zach Hyman 5 million+ and I hope not because that's WAY to much, then unless something like a Quick trade happe the budget for a goalie has to be more than 3 million you can't have Jack Campbell carrying the load long term no matter how good he's been in his 4 games it's still 4 games, the nan hasn't played more than 31 games in a season and only 68 in his entire career he's a backup and a damn good one but he's not the guy going forward

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As a Leafs fan, HELLLLLLLL no! Quick used to be amazing, but he’s been garbage for 3 years straight. He’s a legit bad contract, has this year and 2 more left at $5.8 mil, when he’s about as good as UFAs you can sign for $1 mil. Do not want, at all.

I’d be very interested in pursuing guys like Ullmark, Kuemper, Driedger, etc., but zero interest in Quick, he’s clearly done.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As a Leafs fan, HELLLLLLLL no! Quick used to be amazing, but he’s been garbage for 3 years straight. He’s a legit bad contract, has this year and 2 more left at $5.8 mil, when he’s about as good as UFAs you can sign for $1 mil. Do not want, at all.

I’d be very interested in pursuing guys like Ullmark, Kuemper, Driedger, etc., but zero interest in Quick, he’s clearly done.

Ullmark is not the guy either he's never played above 37 games in a season

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th
The Kings are not looking to 'get out' of Quicks contract lol. The kings have plenty of cap space moving forward and are not dumping the best goalie in franchise history for peanuts. Most of you stat jockeys have no clue how good JQ is to this day. I would start JQ 100/100 times over Freddie Andersen in the playoffs. Any leaf fan who wouldn't, well there's always next year....lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad