Rumor: The Fourth period: Quick to Leafs?

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Would the kings take a forward? I can’t remember if Dubas said he’d trade a top forward prospect or a top prospect generally, but he’s willing to give up a valuable asset regardless ; idk what the kings need this year specifically I just remember it seems like every year “the kings can’t score” (or maybe that was a few years ago)

I mean, if they’re not exactly an especially competitive team in the next couple years, and you say they have the space to keep him; why not retain if the Leafs are willing to give assets back?

All of that is hypothetical assuming Dubas even thinks they could use a goalie, or that he would want quick long term; he said he wants another forward specifically. Idk, I feel like a goalie is a safer bet there, not sure how confident I would be in their current guy.
LA has taken good strides this year. Fighting for the fourth playoff spot but may just miss out. PP has been deadly and they are faster than years past. Cupboard is pretty full on forward prospects. Sandin would be of interest but he is likely a non starter.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
LA has taken good strides this year. Fighting for the fourth playoff spot but may just miss out. PP has been deadly and they are faster than years past. Cupboard is pretty for on forward prospects. Sandin would be of interest but he is likely a non starter.
A non starter for Quick alone, but the GM has stated that a top prospect will be available in the right deal.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
At 2.9M I could see Quick forming a tandem with Campbell after this season. With the split favouring Campbell. But, unless Freddy is banged up and won't recover this season, getting a head start would not make sense before his contract and the expansion draft expires.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
By golly, I hope the Leafs do this trade. I'd fly the plane to LA to pick Quick up for them. Would love to finish the season and into the playoffs with the regressed Quick as their goalie.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Yes, this. The king's are not in the business of helping the Leafs or any other team. Not, are the Leafs in the business of helping the king's or any other team.

Actually the Kings are in the business of helping the Leafs:

Clifford, Muzzin, and Campbell so far.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
This doesn't make any sense for Toronto unless they're praying that a change of scenery makes Quick reverse aging 5 years. Quick has been worse than Andersen for at least a few years now. Cal Peterson is pretty badly outplaying him in LA, I don't know if he's even considered the starter there this season.

I also realize that LA isn't as good of a team as Toronto, but they're still in the top half of the league in GA/GP while going through a retool/rebuild. It's not been Quick keeping them in that top half.

Reactions: Just Linda

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
This tandom won the Jennings in 17-18. You can't take freddy into another playoff series. Campbell is fantastic but untested in the playoffs. Quick is born for the playoffs so you could certainly run a 1A 1B and have options. Much better than going into the playoffs with Campbell and then he gets injured and your stuck with freddy.

LA retain 50% and take either Sandin or a 1st and use that 1st to take a top 3 goalie at the draft.

Reactions: KingsCourt

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
Actually the Kings are in the business of helping the Leafs:

Clifford, Muzzin, and Campbell so far.

Kings got Trevor Moore and Carl Grundström in those trades. Those guys were getting second line minutes in today's game and has been looking pretty good since Jaret Anderson-Dolan came back from injury and centering that line. They also used that 1st round pick from the Muzzin trade to get Tobias Bjornfot and he's on a solid path on D. For a team that's trying to build up from a rebuild, I say the Kings got what they are looking for making those trades now and the Leafs are getting what they are looking for right now.

I just don't see how trading Quick would help the Kings unless management has someone they got in mind as a 2nd goalie on the main roster and I rather see them keep Quick rather than trade for Frederik if they don't have an answer.

Reactions: Guitpik

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Quick is not even close to the same goalie he was in 2014 and I'm pretty sure every GM in the league knows that.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Kings got Trevor Moore and Carl Grundström in those trades. Those guys were getting second line minutes in today's game and has been looking pretty good since Jaret Anderson-Dolan came back from injury and centering that line. They also used that 1st round pick from the Muzzin trade to get Tobias Bjornfot and he's on a solid path on D. For a team that's trying to build up from a rebuild, I say the Kings got what they are looking for making those trades now and the Leafs are getting what they are looking for right now.

I just don't see how trading Quick would help the Kings unless management has someone they got in mind as a 2nd goalie on the main roster and I rather see them keep Quick rather than trade for Frederik if they don't have an answer.

In no way am I saying that LA got fleeced, but both Muzzin and Campbell have helped the Leafs. Clifford was so-so. Yes LA in a sense has been in the business of helping the Leafs. How else would you paint this picture?

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
In no way am I saying that LA got fleeced, but both Muzzin and Campbell have helped the Leafs. Clifford was so-so. Yes LA in a sense has been in the business of helping the Leafs. How else would you paint this picture?

I will say it like this then. The Kings have helped the Leafs get what they are looking for right now (guys that can help the team push for a deep playoff run) and the Leafs helped the Kings get what they are looking for (shedding cap space and getting prospects and picks that the Kings can develop and rebuild on when their window of a deep run is done). It's pretty much how trades should ideally work.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If the Leafs want to replace Freddie right now with any goalie that's making anything above the league minimum than the other team has to be willing to take him back, or a third team would have to be involved.

So if Dubas finds a partner in the Kings (and they may be one of the only teams this can work with) than the upside is the Leafs get an aging but playoff-tested keeper and although Toronto will likely have to give up something for the Kings to help them out, is the alternative to stick with Freddie, who has clearly lost the confidence of the team and face the very real potential of another early playoff exit? The city will implode if they don't make it out of the North.

As for what happens after the season, if Dubas can convince Seattle to take Quick in the expansion draft - with a sweetener I'm sure - there goes the cap concerns of his contract.

So the question is, just playing along in case this rumor has teeth, is Dubas ready to give up something (pick(s)/prospect) to, arguably, upgrade to Quick for a run this year, then possibly give a little more to Seattle to shed his contract this Summer? Huge risk with huge upside but look at it this way, if Dubas gives up assets to bring Quick in and the team fails, he's likely gone. But if he sticks with Andersen and they fail, he's just as likely gone.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Quick is still a Killer goalie and a proven playoff performer. The problem is this team in front of him sucks. Quick to the leaf would make them a better team in the playoffs.

What if Quick wants to go to a contender for another playoff run? Package him with a roster player or some of the Kings prospects for picks or update of prospects with $ retained and a cap dump?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Andersen is better than Quick. Would love to see the Leafs do this, he’ll get lit up by some of the elite forwards in the North.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Imo it makes sense for the Kings.

Things are looking up for them. Get out of Quick's contract a little early and go nuts burning cap space whale hunting this offseason in anticipation of Byfield's rookie season.

But yeah, I don't get it from the Leafs. They are interested in getting interesting goalie RENTALS.

Or... Some cheap goalie who is also established. They are ready to overpay for that.
I dont see Byfield being ready for the NHL next year.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yikes! I’m trying to recall a time when a first place team ever traded their starter just before the TDL. I doubt it happens tbh. And I doubt that there’s any one better than Andersen available that fits under the cap.
I think the more likely scenario is that they ride whomever is the hottest of Andersen and Campbell going into the playoffs. Then go goalie hunting in the off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad