OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
:thumbu:

They have it for 50 bucks across the Columbia River in Vancouver WA. Takes about 25 minutes to drive, especially now with the the Covid traffic. I need to go there soon anyway since my German pork bratwurst are gone. I usually buy 2.5 kg and freeze them. That way I can taste some nice whisky and get my sausages plus Russian dark bread. The whisky store is 50 meters from the Russian deli where I buy the sausages and other nice stuff. Large bouquets of dill, not the little plastic containers that regular grocery stores have and of course, smetana, one of the most tastiest of sour creams, candy marmalade.

Blinis with roe, dill and a generous serving of smetana is very passable..

98f4e01751b05bf7d07d1110e2bda262.jpg

my father is german, and tomorrow (or should I say later today) I'm going to go get my bratwursts and blood sausages from a store called Frick in brossard. The smoked blood sausage is ridiculous. Its funny you mentioned that because I needed my fix of german sausages and cold cuts.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That was my point. I have quite a few expensive food places in mind and would need to go to several cities.

100 $USD as a whole per day (including plane/food/lodging/attractions) is being cheap. That is 136$ Canadian. That means 1.9k CAD for two weeks if I go cheap. Have a few quality meal, more traveling and you are easily at 3k.

Japan's not going anywhere,no rush to go if you're not going to do what you want to do. In the meantime you can really find where and what and the cost of things,time is on your side. Learn a few phrases in Japanese, any local always appreciate the effort and can help in the long run.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
That's looking good! and a nice looking pizza platter? Italian sausage pizza? salad can't make it out,looks nice and refreshing though.

Meh!
Pizza night with my ex.

View attachment 350115
Personally I would never put Asiago, Fontina cheese and Parmesan together and would definitely remove the onion. I don't know what oka is. On quattro formaggi: mozzarella, fontina, grana and gorgonzola. Pepper, never onion. Something different and it's not a real quattro formaggi.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
my father is german, and tomorrow (or should I say later today) I'm going to go get my bratwursts and blood sausages from a store called Frick in brossard. The smoked blood sausage is ridiculous. Its funny you mentioned that because I needed my fix of german sausages and cold cuts.
Don't forget the blood wine.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Meh!

Personally I would never put Asiago, Fontina cheese and Parmesan together and would definitely remove the onion. I don't know what oka is. On quattro formaggi: mozzarella, fontina, grana and gorgonzola. Pepper, never onion. Something different and it's not a real quattro formaggi.

Still on the clock eh?:laugh:

Reactions: Incubajerks

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Japan's not going anywhere,no rush to go if you're not going to do what you want to do. In the meantime you can really find where and what and the cost of things,time is on your side. Learn a few phrases in Japanese, any local always appreciate the effort and can help in the long run.

I still don't see how this get the cost under 2-3k CAD. Unless I'm a total stud and stay at some girl place every day.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I still don't see how this get the cost under 2-3k CAD. Unless I'm a total stud and stay at some girl place every day.

Well can't rely on that and getting lucky all the time,wish it was not the case,but. You need a confirmation of where you will be staying and a loose itinerary. Just save up and when ready,go,no rush right?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well can't rely on that and getting lucky all the time,wish it was not the case,but. You need a confirmation of where you will be staying and a loose itinerary. Just save up and when ready,go,no rush right?

No rush indeed, but I still need at least 2.5k CAD which is not what I have in my travel pot right now. Especially since I'm going to buy a bunch of new furniture in July when I move to my new apartment.

Reactions: angusyoung

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Sure,why not,can contribute some meaningful insight perhaps.
I would use Asiago, Fontina and Parmigiano (grated) for a risotto, but it is important that everything is melted well and that it becomes creamy and not stale.

With Asiago you can have lots of fun with risottos even alone to combine with other different types of ingredients.
Obviously it is much easier to make a pizza than a risotto, which is an apparently easy dish but which in reality is not.

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

There is a great German deli called Edelweiss in southeast Portland. They make their deli meat themselves and the riches are amazing and I can also get some Swedish stuff there (pickled herring for instance). Curry wurst (bratwurst with curry flavor), Bockwurst, regular pork brats, Veal bratwurst, Weisswurst, Wieners (always get 4 pounds of them), German pumpernickel bread, leberkäse, marzipan, Mozart Kugeln. They have Black Forrest turkey breast. German potato salad. Swedish smoked cod roe and some very good pastries. They always get newly made meats on Wednesdays so if you want newly made hams, turkey breasts, pepper bacon, liver wurst, blood sausage, Wednesday is the day. I am getting hungry now.. :)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Meh!

Well I almost always never use mozzarella when I cook. I honestly find it insipid and generally without value for that reason. I do occasionally use bocconcini however when I'm not looking for a strong cheese flavour.

2020-06-20 07.05.22.jpg

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Well I almost always never use mozzarella when I cook. I honestly find it insipid and generally without value for that reason. I do occasionally use bocconcini however when I'm not looking for a strong cheese flavour.

View attachment 350810

Bocconcini are ideal for making fried food, you can really have a lot of fun. Even without mozzarella you can make many pizzas, but the buffalo mozzarella is very tasty and binds well with the tomato. In the end, simple things are always the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad