OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
That looks very appetizing.
Was very good indeed, and probably my first "healthy" dinner in quite some time lol

I say healthy because making the broth was quite something. Mixed water, some beef consommé I made some time ago that I had in the freezer, a dash of rice vinegar and some miso paste, and then added some ginger, garlic, szechuan peppers, peppercorns and let that simmer for 45 minutes. Nothing complicated, I know.

Until I decided that I wanted to make it clear since I certainly wasn't going to use this precious beef consommé to make a foggy broth. So I strained everything with a cheesecloth, but it was still not clear enough due to the miso paste mostly. And my first idea was that trick with a towel you can do when you want to get what remains at the bottom of a mayo or other bottle. So, I poured everything in a bottle, put it in the center of a towel that I folded lengthwise, and started spinning it for a good 4-5 minutes non-stop with my arm. Decided to do it 2 times for good measure, before putting it back in the pot to add the rest of the ingredients.

Now my arm hurts, but it was worth it for the picture, I guess. :laugh:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I actually goth both, chicken Pad Thai and sticky Mango Rice then I stopped at a Japanese restaurant and got some Sushi as well.

Is it a good pad thai? have had some super ones and some so-so,but such a variation in them? which is for reals. Tried making it a few times,but can't find the elusive method that the good place makes.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Is it a good pad thai? have had some super ones and some so-so,but such a variation in them? which is for reals. Tried making it a few times,but can't find the elusive method that the good place makes.

This was not the best I have had but it was OK. Of course Carlito loves it so I have to sit and remove the spring onions for him. He likes sushi as well so I gave him a couple of sushi, one was crispy spider crab the other was a combo of avocado, tuna, and salmon. He has good taste and is getting extremely spoiled. I mean he spits out the cherries from the black cherry ice cream and he wants some heavy whipping cream on top.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That's what they said about steaks before the advent of the backyard barbeque. :sarcasm:

There is always room for a little tweaking.:thumbu:

50d9ab77949db.png

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
What's so special about a bamboo steamer that can't be found in a Chinatown:confused:?
Well, I could totally find a bamboo steamer in chinatown. But there are two issues:
1) I ordered it in April (well, I had my brother order it for me since he's the one in the family with prime), when most non-essential shops were closed. It wasn't supposed to take that long to deliver. :\
2) I live in Quebec City, not Montreal. We don't have many asian stores here. Before the pandemic I did visit several cookware stores in the city, but couldn't find anything, not even a stainless steamer with a completely flat and large bottom.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Well, I could totally find a bamboo steamer in chinatown. But there are two issues:
1) I ordered it in April (well, I had my brother order it for me since he's the one in the family with prime), when most non-essential shops were closed. It wasn't supposed to take that long to deliver. :\
2) I live in Quebec City, not Montreal. We don't have many asian stores here. Before the pandemic I did visit several cookware stores in the city, but couldn't find anything, not even a stainless steamer with a completely flat and large bottom.

Thanks,can you post a pic of the steamer please,maybe someone can give you a heads up.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I love it when the misses goes to town and makes sushi and sasimi,like lightning in a bottle! Not sure if I should eat it or frame it and put up on the wall.:)

I know, they look so beautiful, I love sashimi as well.

I couldn't sleep last night so I finished the sushi at around 02:30 AM. I had the fan on loud and I sneaked to the kitchen with a little flashlight not to wake up the Sushi Monster sleeping soundly. I managed to finish it before he came and demanding his share so I had to give him a slice of cake instead and a green chew bone for the teeth. He is so spoiled. :)

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I know, they look so beautiful, I love sashimi as well.

I couldn't sleep last night so I finished the sushi at around 02:30 AM. I had the fan on loud and I sneaked to the kitchen with a little flashlight not to wake up the Sushi Monster sleeping soundly. I managed to finish it before he came and demanding his share so I had to give him a slice of cake instead and a green chew bone for the teeth. He is so spoiled. :)

I like the clean feeling of it,weird thing so say I know.

If I prep any food,the beasts are always around,but the misses, just a look and they scamper!:)

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Sorry for the long delay,but in Montreal they are easy to find. Guess living in the prettiest city in North America has a few draw backs.
Yeah, especially when it comes to asian stuff. There's a small community, but nothing like Montreal.

We have like two specialty asian grocery stores (La Montagne Dorée and Aliment Toyo, but the latter is way overpriced).

Only 1 bubble tea place that I know of that use tapioca pearls (Café Pékoe - there might be 1-2 other in the city, but long shot, seems like they all use jellies or alginate pearls). While I have the stuff to make them at home, it's always annoying and I have to buy huge bag of tapioca pearls that I need to throw away after 8-12 months without half of it being used since I want one maybe once a month. Chatime is funnily enough one of the things I miss the most about Montréal. :'(

My brother looked and it seems I may receive it next month, but he contacted the seller and asked for a refund, instead they offered a 25% refund (8$!) due to the delay in shipping, so we might just take that. Will still go look at Linen Chest which I didn't think about last time.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Some yahoo in the area must have gotten a rooster and that dam thing can't tell the frikkin time! so looking for a solution..... and maybe a recipe.:rant:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
OMG! I am so full , since it was payday I celebrated with a delivery of Korean Rib Eye aka Bulgogi, Kimchi and steamed rice. It was sooo good and I smell like a giant elephant garlic! It was pricey but well worth it.

:clap::clap::clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad