Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
0469A6A3-2A8C-4B83-8A43-9B4D9C99883A.jpeg

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

I'm still in bed sleeping it off. I worked late yesterday because I needed laundry done and I do laundry either very early or very late, the laundry was done by 1 AM. I couldn't sleep, tried several times. At 4:30 I had enough, took Carlito out and started cooking when we got back.. Carlito cheered me on and we had a very large wonderful breakfast thanks to your recipe. So I thought that I would try to fall asleep again. Took a little whisky with some anti acid tablets and fell asleep very fast! Thanks.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I'm still in bed sleeping it off. I worked late yesterday because I needed laundry done and I do laundry either very early or very late, the laundry was done by 1 AM. I couldn't sleep, tried several times. At 4:30 I had enough, took Carlito out and started cooking when we got back.. Carlito cheered me on and we had a very large wonderful breakfast thanks to your recipe. So I thought that I would try to fall asleep again. Took a little whisky with some anti acid tablets and fell asleep very fast! Thanks.
You bet and likewise buddy!

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
...Trying Fried Chicken (...making, I mean) for the first time tonight.
Will also be making Bourbon Smoked Meat Poutine Tomorrow.

I'll probably have gained 10 pounds tuesday morning.
Keep us posted brother/sister!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Keep us posted brother/sister!

The Fried Chicken came out pretty good!

- I used Boneless Chicken Thighs, most of them cut in halves. They were on sale but it was an online order, and I ended up with a non-practical amount of chicken. Hence I went : okay, let's try this.
- I guess it could be classified as Massala-style Fried Chicken Chunks. Dripped in a yogurt marinade overnight, then coated with dry mixture (Chickpea Flour, Flour, Cornstarch, spices)
- I fried at roughly 350F.
- Once the first batch was ready, it went in the convection oven at 200F so it wouldn't sog.
- Maybe because the chucks weren't super big, the chicken was ready (internal temp over 170F) really quickly, like 4 minutes.
- The above, along with the fact I wasn't frying at like 450F, meant it wasn't super cruchy. It was fried, not deep-fried.
- Eaten with Maple Syrup and Mustard-based BBQ Sauce. The first was a great pairing, the second not so much lol.
- That ended up being a rather expansive meal all things considered. I'll probably do this with bone-in Thighs and Drumsticks next time.
- That's also A LOT of things to clean afterwards.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011

- I used Boneless Chicken Thighs, most of them cut in halves. They were on sale but it was an online order, and I ended up with a non-practical amount of chicken. Hence I went : okay, let's try this.
- I guess it could be classified as Massala-style Fried Chicken Chunks. Dripped in a yogurt marinade overnight, then coated with dry mixture (Chickpea Flour, Flour, Cornstarch, spices)
- Once the first batch was ready, it went in the convection oven at 200F so it wouldn't sog.
- Maybe because the chucks weren't super big, the chicken was ready (internal temp over 170F) really quickly, like 4 minutes.
- The above, along with the fact I wasn't frying at like 450F, meant it wasn't super cruchy. It was fried, not deep-fried.
- Eaten with Maple Syrup and Mustard-based BBQ Sauce. The first was a great pairing, the second not so much lol.
- That ended up being a rather expansive meal all things considered. I'll probably do this with bone-in Thighs and Drumsticks next time.
If it felt soggy/greasy your oil definitely had to be hotter, i don't deep fry all that much cause i find the residual greasy smell/greasy clothes very annoying, but there are some pretty strict rules for any cleanly deep-fried food item... And you should always deep-fry bone-in for extra flavor

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Fantastic! Ya, I destroy my kitchen when I fry things lol

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
If it felt soggy/greasy your oil definitely had to be hotter, i don't deep fry all that much cause i find the residual greasy smell/greasy clothes very annoying, but there are some pretty strict rules for any cleanly deep-fried food item... And you should always deep-fry bone-in for extra flavor
I have a giant fish fry once a year and I use Crisco. I just crank the range to hi and go from there. Batter comes out perfect with fish. It’s pan fried so I have to change the Crisco a few times. Makes a giant mess and the house stinks for a few days lmao

Reactions: angusyoung

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

That's the thing : it didnt felt oily or greasy. It also went further than simply breaded.

I'll try it again at some point with a few tweaks. Maybe something more classical (though yogurt worked really well).

Reactions: cphabs

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I dropped the idea of the Bourbon Smoked Meat Poutine, but opted for something that I wanted to try for a while after getting good results for a BBQ sauce : A Dr. Pepper-based Poutine Sauce. Basically the liquid content was 1/3 Chicken Broth, 1/3 Beef Broth, 1/3 Dr. Pepper.

Good as is; I would probably try a 1/2 Chick, 1/2 Dr. Pepper eventually : however, any more than 1/2 might end up being way, way too sweet for the palate.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Good score! must be a pretty good shop where you got that. Lot's of variety?

images
Fantastic place. I know nothing about cheese. I asked for some Swedish cheese and the didn’t have any BUT said they could get some. I was at a loss as to what I wanted, so I told them I would have to ask my buddies. Any suggestions Pete? I then started asking about a Quebec cheese made by monks... “that could take some time if we can get it”. They suggested the cheddar in the picture. The Swedish cheese came from a local Swedish market. As always they were extremely kind to a layman asking questions. Can I share their business info or is that taboo? Fantastic cheese mongers. They are just excited customers are asking questions and, of course, coming back.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Fromagerie Hamel (at least the one on Fleury where I usually go) is great. Good selections and they know about all their cheeses.

Fantastic place. I know nothing about cheese. I asked for some Swedish cheese and the didn’t have any BUT said they could get some. I was at a loss as to what I wanted, so I told them I would have to ask my buddies. Any suggestions Pete? I then started asking about a Quebec cheese made by monks... “that could take some time if we can get it”. They suggested the cheddar in the picture. The Swedish cheese came from a local Swedish market. As always they were extremely kind to a layman asking questions. Can I share their business info or is that taboo? Fantastic cheese mongers. They are just excited customers are asking questions and, of course, coming back.

Totally fine to name them.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Fromagerie Hamel (at least the one on Fleury where I usually go) is great. Good selections and they know about all their cheeses.
Place is called Reverie Creamery. Check them out. You tell me if their selection is good! LOL All I know is that they were/are kind to laymen asking questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad