OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Lmao! Fantastic! Probably the most intense “cheddar” taste I’ve ever experienced, but it was not overwhelming or obnoxious. Just there and smooth. Fantastic! Seems to go well with cheap beer as well!

Reactions: angusyoung

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The only time I have mainstream cheap beer, it's when I go to my parents because they drink Coors Light.

Otherwise, the more mainstream I go is Boréale/St-Ambroise/Unibroue.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Here is some black Cod (Pacific Cod) with giant Argentinian pink shrimps, bell peppers, cocktail onions and a tiny bit of saffron. Haven't tasted it yet, waiting for the plugs (potatoes nickname in Sweden) to be ready. I have already made some tartar sauce. I used a mix of Spanish virgin olive oil and French butter for the cooking of the fish and shrimps.

upload_2020-6-23_17-48-10.png

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think the more mainstream stuff I'm keeping in the fridge is Castor.
At the moment, it's full of local stuff (Bas-Canada and 5e Baron), shelf Farmhouses from Robin and Hill Farmstead that can stay there forever, some lambics and homebrews (pretty much all sours).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think the more mainstream stuff I'm keeping in the fridge is Castor.
At the moment, it's full of local stuff (Bas-Canada and 5e Baron), shelf Farmhouses from Robin and Hill Farmstead that can stay there forever, some lambics and homebrews (pretty much all sours).

I had a sour beer at St-Houblon (around 3%, haven't seen it on their current menu in the 3 locations) and it was really bad. Heard good things about lambics though (which are kind of sour beer).

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I had a sour beer at St-Houblon (around 3%, haven't seen it on their current menu in the 3 locations) and it was really bad. Heard good things about lambics though (which are kind of sour beer).

How do they get it sour, vinegar like in Kombucha?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Sours are one thing that can go horribly wrong. There isnt much difference (as far as process is concerned) between a Berliner Weisse and Vomit Juice.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
How do they get it sour, vinegar like in Kombucha?
I'm not sure if we're talking the brew the OP mentioned, but if it's Saint-Houblon's "Sour DH" then it's the cold hibiscus tea added to the beer that makes it sour.

EDIT: I'm not much of a beer drinker, but there can never be too much acid in it IMO. What I despise in beer is the over-use of hops. Can't stand beers that are overly floral due to that. I've never met an Imperial IPA I liked for anything more than to pour down my toilet bowl due to its imbalance.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I'm not sure if we're talking the brew the OP mentioned, but if it's Saint-Houblon's "Sour DH" then it's the cold hibiscus tea added to the beer that makes it sour.

EDIT: I'm not much of a beer drinker, but there can never be too much acid in it IMO. What I despise in beer is the over-use of hops. Can't stand beers that are overly floral due to that. I've never met an Imperial IPA I liked for anything more than to pour down my toilet bowl due to its imbalance.

I never buy IPAs, I really dislike them.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

It tasted like a commercial beer gone bad, but worse. Yes I did have a sip or two of a commercial beer (I believe it was Tremblay) that has been sitting for unknown time in my aunt basement. Then I noticed the yeast/bacteria building at the bottom of the bottles.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
You can find Rodenbach at a lot of grocery stores. Their Grand Cru is really good, and a nice sour beer.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I never buy IPAs, I really dislike them.
I find that most Quebec IPAs over the years have been bad. In the past couple of years, Dieu Du Ciel have come up with some good ones, and I really enjoy Le Castor's Yakima IPA. I've had a lot of very good ones in Vermont and in San Diego, though.

That said, they're definitely not for everyone, but I've come around to them over the last little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad