OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Not sure how to put this,but got those desired lamb chops and they were decent. Unfortunately far from what was expected overall. Lacking something,type of lamb perhaps? ambiance? definitely not how we prefer them,sure as hell they ain't giving them away. With the cost of the chops,ouzo, fried saganaki, wine etc,probably be cheaper to fly to Greece even if having to pay full fare and get them the way we like.

On the upside,toiled with concocting a bastardized version of sukiyaki with the guidance of a master.:thumbu::thumbu:

Where did you end up? I only saw your post now and was going to recommend Panama even though a few years ago the Lamb was way too tough but usually they suffice. Don't usually get chops at these places but a few of the Greek restaurants in Laval have decent reputations.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Where did you end up? I only saw your post now and was going to recommend Panama even though a few years ago the Lamb was way too tough but usually they suffice. Don't usually get chops at these places but a few of the Greek restaurants in Laval have decent reputations.

Been to Panama a few times over the years but ended up at a place on Parc. Laval would be fine another time if you have a strong recommendation,thanks. Just don't think any Greek food in MTL area can compare to Greece,especially what they charge in comparison. Definitely prefer the open air tavernas and the bottomless vats of krasi.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Was introduced to macadamia nuts when meeting a friend in the Cook Islands decades ago and he brought some from Hawaii,which was my next stop.Been hooked since.

These are the best,Australia produces them also,but not comparable.

View attachment 294831

Where do you buy these in Montreal?

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Where do you buy these in Montreal?

They were not always available in Montreal at the regular establishments,but did have them at those wholesale nut ,etc distribution suppliers. Did my share of cross border shopping with them in mind. In Montreal would get the best deal at Walmart,same as in Plattsburgh or Burlington. Kind of think they should be illegal at times as the most addictive thing experienced. If you're a fan of dry roasted salted cashews,avoid these! it will ruin your life.lol. Wish I never brought it up,hurting big time now. lol. Worse case scenario is I put them on a list and when getting to the CVS across the street in Phoenix where they have them along with 5$ Pinot and 10$ cases of 12 Heineken,just have to be patient and fight it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They were not always available in Montreal at the regular establishments,but did have them at those wholesale nut ,etc distribution suppliers. Did my share of cross border shopping with them in mind. In Montreal would get the best deal at Walmart,same as in Plattsburgh or Burlington. Kind of think they should be illegal at times as the most addictive thing experienced. If you're a fan of dry roasted salted cashews,avoid these! it will ruin your life.lol. Wish I never brought it up,hurting big time now. lol. Worse case scenario is I put them on a list and when getting to the CVS across the street in Phoenix where they have them along with 5$ Pinot and 10$ cases of 12 Heineken,just have to be patient and fight it.

Thx much, I’ll try Walmart.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Like any other oily nut, they can go rancid, so check the date and the packaging. Sealed in a can with nitrogen (or other preserving gas). They're fantastic if they're fresh. Not cheap though.

Thx for the tip. Couldn’t find them at Walmart. Search continues.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I am making Swedish Brown Beans. A traditional Swedish dish with either crispy bacon or Swedish meatballs. I am going for both bacon and the meatballs. At first I ordered them online and they were very expensive like 10-12 dollars for a fairly small package. Then I read up on beans and saw that they all come from a single bean so I started to test other beans and found that Pinto beans are basically the same and when cooked looked the same (brownish) and tasted the same. Now you can buy brown beans for a decent price but why when I can get pintos from the bulk section for a penny (well almost). I had them in cold water over night. Then you rinse and remove bad looking beans and then you cover with water, add a couple of cinnamon sticks and cook at high temperature for 5 minutes (grandma taught me this) to remove some of the "flatulence" that beans cause. Them simmer for about 2 hours and then you start adding vinegar and molasses (sometimes I get Swedish molasses from IKEA) but the Brer Rabbit Mild Flavor Molasses works fine and it is much cheaper. I am currently about to add the sweet and sour flavors right now.

Reactions: Tighthead

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
@Per Sjoblom

Just curious, how do you incorporate bacon into this bean dish? Also, what kind of bacon are we talking about? Cubed up pork belly or the more traditional sliced bacon?

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
@Per Sjoblom

Just curious, how do you incorporate bacon into this bean dish? Also, what kind of bacon are we talking about? Cubed up pork belly or the more tradition sliced bacon?

I make traditional baked beans regularly and use salt pork, which is cured belly.

One of the most satisfying things I make. So cheap and tasty, and I can put them down at any meal.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
@Per Sjoblom

Just curious, how do you incorporate bacon into this bean dish? Also, what kind of bacon are we talking about? Cubed up pork belly or the more traditional sliced bacon?

No pork or bacon in the bean dish itself unlike with baked beans. Just to eat with the beans and then I made crème fraîche and eat that with the beans and the bacon. Here'an American recipe although they don't use cinnamon sticks and use ginger powder, I stick to granny's recipe including the cinnamon.

Swedish Baked Brown Beans (Bruna Bönor)

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Beans no longer cause any flatulence in me and I eat them by the truck load as a vegan. Along with tofu, they're my main source of protein. The flatulence thing goes away if you continue eating beans regularly.

Indeed, I don't get it either but I should definitely eat more of them. They are so extremely cheap, they can be stored for years and they are tasty, you can use them is soups and you can marinate them with vinegar.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Indeed, I don't get it either but I should definitely eat more of them. They are so extremely cheap, they can be stored for years and they are tasty, you can use them is soups and you can marinate them with vinegar.
One of my very favourite dishes with beans is a variation on Jamaican "rice and peas" that is typically rice and red kidney beans. But I replace the rice with buckwheat instead. The rest of the ingredients (herbs, spices and flavourings) remains more or less the same.

P.S. Add something like braised leeks to the above and you've got yourself a healthy and nutritious meal.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm going to help catering a private event soon and my task is to make a ton of two bite-sized tuna salad sandwiches. I'm pretty clear on what to do to the fish (going to poach fresh tuna for this instead of using the canned version). I'm also going to make the mayonnaise to dress the tuna with.

But I was wondering what are you must-haves in a good tuna salad sandwich? I don't want to over-do it with the ingredients.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I'm going to help catering a private event soon and my task is to make a ton of two bite-sized tuna salad sandwiches. I'm pretty clear on what to do to the fish (going to poach fresh tuna for this instead of using the canned version). I'm also going to make the mayonnaise to dress the tuna with.

But I was wondering what are you must-haves in a good tuna salad sandwich? I don't want to over-do it with the ingredients.

Fresh dill, lemon juice. A little salt and pepper. Finely chopped celery. Easy on the mayo.

Maybe a little bit of something pickled.

Don’t overpower the tuna.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Fresh dill, lemon juice. A little salt and pepper. Finely chopped celery. Easy on the mayo.

Maybe a little bit of something pickled.

Don’t overpower the tuna.
Thanks!

I like the celery & dill suggestions.

I don't think I want to go with pickles or capers for a hit of acid.

What do you think about adding chopped up pickled banana peppers for both acid and some mild heat?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Thanks!

I like the celery & dill suggestions.

I don't think I want to go with pickles or capers for a hit of acid.

What do you think about adding chopped up pickled banana peppers for both acid and some mild heat?

I love heat in general, but I’m not sure I would do that here with the dill.

Not sure if lemon juice is enough acid?

A little pickled red onion might be good - just do them in the refrigerator.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I love heat in general, but I’m not sure I would do that here with the dill.

Not sure if lemon juice is enough acid?

A little pickled red onion might be good - just do them in the refrigerator.
Pickled red onion sounds good. I'll thinly slice them and sprinkle them around the base of the sandwich before piling the tuna mix over them.

I'm going to flake the tuna myself. The flakes can't be too large since each sandwich is going to be tiny, but I don't think I want to go too small either. What do you think?

Another important consideration is the dice on the celery so that it's proportionate to the fish flakes.

I could add fresh lemon juice to the mayo itself as it's being made. Make a lemon aioli.

I'm obviously going for a very refined version here, hence every detail matters.

Plus I won't be able to taste the finished product myself of course.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City

I'm gonna say something risky here, because that's not something everyone likes, but if people like it... It's heaven. And original.

Mayo, chopped kimchi, some lime or lemon juice, and a little sesame oil (since you'll be making the mayo, you can add the sesame oil when making it, making sure not to overpower obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad