OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
@Lshap, so the the bacon washed bourbon isn't bad. It's certainly interesting and worth trying. I don't think it's necessarily something I'll need to make again though.

I have a decent ice cream maker with built in freezer (it weighs a ton) and I made bacon and maple syrup ice cream that was a success at work for our potluck. I cooked the bacon in the oven after dipping them in maple syrup until they were crispy, then I crumbled them into approx. 2 millimeter pieces. I made a custard with 7.5 parts of 40% fat old fashioned heavy whipping cream, 6 egg yolks, sugar and 2.5 parts of skim milk. Once the custard started to look like very soft ice cream in the ice cream maker I added the bacon plus a swirl of maple syrup. In another 10-15 minutes if was a large batch of frozen bacon custard. The mix between salty and sweet was very tasty.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I have a decent ice cream maker with built in freezer (it weighs a ton) and I made bacon and maple syrup ice cream that was a success at work for our potluck. I cooked the bacon in the oven after dipping them in maple syrup until they were crispy, then I crumbled them into approx. 2 millimeter pieces. I made a custard with 7.5 parts of 40% fat old fashioned heavy whipping cream, 6 egg yolks, sugar and 2.5 parts of skim milk. Once the custard started to look like very soft ice cream in the ice cream maker I added the bacon plus a swirl of maple syrup. In another 10-15 minutes if was a large batch of frozen bacon custard. The mix between salty and sweet was very tasty.

That sounds incredibly good!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
That sounds incredibly good!

It was very good. Not my idea though, I watch it on a British cooking show on BBC iPlayer and there is a restaurant in Stockholm called The Olson Brothers where we went when I was back in Sweden and they had garlic ice cream. The we has Salt $ Straw in downtown Portland where there can be lines half a block during summers and where I peach ice cream with marrow and pear and blue cheese ice cream. They have regular flavours but also some very different ones as well.

Ice Cream Flavors - Seasonal & Classics | Salt & Straw

It looks they have opened places in California and Seattle as well. I only went there twice and it is really not worth waiting 30-45 minutes on a summer's evening for ice cream.

Reactions: groovejuice

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Did you make the ends thinner than the center of your dumpling ? Makes it leak 100% of the time if you don't IMO.
Otherwise, it may be for molecular reasons or something, there's like a 40 celsius difference between the liquifying points, that may be it, I don't know.
No, I did not. Never knew about that technique. :(

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Ah ! There you go, this might just be it. Next time, rol it out with a pin, and just roll the edges out in a circular manner, either with you hand (Trickier IMO), or with a pin (Longer, but better.)
It was challenging enough to be rolling out the dough by hand. I did buy one of those small dumpling rolling pins, but I found it to be a nightmare to use.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Arrogant and pompous,the MB of cooking. lol.

View attachment 283269View attachment 283271

That muscle bound chef has one of the most annoying, condescending tones and personalities and yet ... he's a force of nature. He managed to propel himself into pretty lucrative TV opportunities.

I can't believe he parlayed his bar rebuild tacky show into some kind of spinoff where he acts like a pseudo psychologist and bypasses the restaurant/bar thing altogether.

He's got good genes, though. But somehow, they didn't translate to his face. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't pass @DAChampion 's litmus test for male attractiveness features. :D

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My roommate is a graduated cook and sommelier, who has worked in the past with a Michelin-starred chef and now serves in a top 10 restaurant in the country, so if I need any advice on food or wine I just shout his name across the appartment. Bretty cool.

Does your friend have any under the radar cheap red wines to suggest? I'm told you get a lot of quality for very little from Bulgarian wines. Would love some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Does your friend have any under the radar cheap red wines to suggest? I'm told you get a lot of quality for very little from Bulgarian wines. Would love some suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Ok Ill get back to you. What do you usually like? What do you mean by cheap?

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

From what I've heard,this is pretty good for under 10$,available at SAQ. Romanian.

00554139_is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad