Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Reactions: Toene

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Malbecs (red) are often priced well. Typically they're from Chile and Argentina. Look for sale prices in flyers for all varietals though.

Thanks for that.

I think there is some quality to be had from wines that come from regions that are not as popular or as prized as France, Italy, etc. such as Chile, Argentina, Bulgaria.

Only contention is that it could be a hit or a miss depending on the producer, year of production, etc. This is where having a specific reference helps avert disappointments but hey, if it's $10, not a big risk.

Last edited:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Thanks for that.

I think there is some quality to be had from wines that come from regions that are not as popular or as prized as France, Italy, etc. Chile, Argentina, Bulgaria. Only contention is that it could be a hit or a miss depending on the producer, year of production, etc. This is where having a specific reference helps avert disappointments but hey, if it's $10, not a big risk.

Very accurate assessment. Not popular to say that,but prices tend to be higher for the same quality if coming from France etc. South Africa has some great wines also that are very reasonable in price.

Every palate is different so very easy and open to debate wine. Kind of like here.:rudolf:

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Very accurate assessment. Not popular to say that,but prices tend to be higher for the same quality if coming from France etc. South Africa has some great wines also that are very reasonable in price.

Every palate is different so very easy and open to debate wine. Kind of like here.:rudolf:

If you have any specific South African wines to suggest, please don't hesitate.

Thx for the feedback!

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If you have any specific South African wines to suggest, please don't hesitate.

Thx for the feedback!

Sorry about that,but not anymore. Was a time I had many and were all better than expected though. Predominately my consumption consists of Rose and in a pinch,fall back on Grigio or a Chardonnay.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Made some shortrib ramen today, and it turned out amazing. Used J. Kenji Lopez Alt's recipe.

0RXOJgxr.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
They have Shawarma wraps here in Saudi at the Tim Hortons..lol
Waiting for flight now heading to Dubai. Looking forward to some overpriced cuisine in an overly fancy place.

Food in Jeddah has been good though, it's great to be back into more of my local cuisine.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Looking for a place that does charbroiled,Greek style lamb-chops to perfection in the Montreal area. Have an associate coming to town and that's what's been mentioned as the preferred meal. To be honest,kind of jonesing for some also.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Not sure how to put this,but got those desired lamb chops and they were decent. Unfortunately far from what was expected overall. Lacking something,type of lamb perhaps? ambiance? definitely not how we prefer them,sure as hell they ain't giving them away. With the cost of the chops,ouzo, fried saganaki, wine etc,probably be cheaper to fly to Greece even if having to pay full fare and get them the way we like.

On the upside,toiled with concocting a bastardized version of sukiyaki with the guidance of a master.:thumbu::thumbu:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It was the best Club I've ever eaten. A few changes to the classic were great improvements. :)
When I used to eat meat I also made variations of clubs. I didn't think pickles worked in a club, and my favourite way to add some acid was with an olive tapenade.

I also refused to go anywhere near spinach (probably my least favourite leafy green). Romaine was still my go to for the crunch. I used avocado mayo most often (no pesto for me as I'm lactose intolerant).

One of the best things I've ever done to a club was to add roasted eggplant mash (not something akin to baba ganoush, just roasted and roughly mashed eggplant with finely minced fresh garlic & coriander leaves mixed in) as a secondary spread to the mayo (eggplant on the bottom slice and mayo on the top one). It really played well off of the smokiness of the bacon (go thick cut here IMO).

Lastly, heirloom tomatoes change everything, if they're in season and you can get your hands on the good, organic stuff.

Anyhow, these are my club sandwich cliff notes from memory. Haven't had one in years now.

EDIT: Did you toast your bread? I always toasted at least the soaker slice so that it wouldn't disintegrate too much from all the juices running. I'm not a big fan of toasted bread though. Unless it's that nasty, under-baked stuff they sell in plastic bags at supermarkets.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The pickles can overwhelm other flavours quite easily. I used 2 thinly lengthwise sliced pieces. They added the balancing tartness I was looking for. I generally don't use mayo on sandwiches, but I tried to keep enough ingredients to be able to call it a Club. Probably 1/2 tbsp. with a heaping tsp. of the pesto.

I did fully toast the middle slice and lightly toasted the top and bottom slices. I let the bacon cook enough to add crunch, but was careful not to overdo it.

Your version sounds delicious, by the way.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The pickles can overwhelm other flavours quite easily. I used 2 thinly lengthwise sliced pieces. They added the balancing tartness I was looking for. I generally don't use mayo on sandwiches, but I tried to keep enough ingredients to be able to call it a Club. Probably 1/2 tbsp. with a heaping tsp. of the pesto.

I did fully toast the middle slice and lightly toasted the top and bottom slices. I let the bacon cook enough to add crunch, but was careful not to overdo it.

Your version sounds delicious, by the way.
:scared:

As a European immigrant (we'd bathe in mayo in Europe if we could) I'm afraid I'm going to have to put you on my ignore list now. It's been fun knowing ya!

:sarcasm:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
:scared:

As a European immigrant (we'd bathe in mayo in Europe if we could) I'm afraid I'm going to have to put you on my ignore list now. It's been fun knowing ya!

:sarcasm:

My ex was born in Holland. Mayo was her equivalent of ketchup. It went on anything that had bread as well a base for pretty much any sauce or dip. :laugh:

By the way, when I have the option, I always go for heirloom tomatoes!

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I made a Jewish style brisket on the weekend and it was great served over mashed potatoes. Was almost even better in a sandwich the next day with a little horseradish mayo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->