OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Made a huge batch of Hunan peanut dumpling. Works great from frozen afterwards.

images

They look delicious. Are those homemade? What is the filling?

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
They look delicious. Are those homemade? What is the filling?

From scratch,always liked them and decided to attempt these years ago and prefer to make a lot and save them for when in a pinch.

There is nothing in the noodle,just covered in the peanut sauce. Could definitely put in a filling and have certainly considered it,but pretty darn good as is.

Occasionally we do some other filled dumplings with gyoza sauce.

Reactions: groovejuice

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
From scratch,always liked them and decided to attempt these years ago and prefer to make a lot and save them for when in a pinch.

There is nothing in the noodle,just covered in the peanut sauce. Could definitely put in a filling and have certainly considered it,but pretty darn good as is.

Occasionally we do some other filled dumplings with gyoza sauce.

I haven't eaten today and now I get hunger aggression at work!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I bit off way more than I could chew when I attempted to prepare a batch of vegan Xiaolongbao dumplings. It was a two day long effort that ultimately ended up in a disaster. :laugh:

My agar thickened broth was not only funny tasting, but it also never set properly and the dumplings burst while being steamed.

Oh well, I shall try again some time in the future on the elusive quest of re-creating a vegan version of the soup dumpling. This is ridiculously difficult of a task due to many factors, one of which is the lack of precise guidelines and recipes online.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I bit off way more than I could chew when I attempted to prepare a batch of vegan Xiaolongbao dumplings. It was a two day long effort that ultimately ended up in a disaster. :laugh:

My agar thickened broth was not only funny tasting, but it also never set properly and the dumplings burst while being steamed.

Oh well, I shall try again some time in the future on the elusive quest of re-creating a vegan version of the soup dumpling. This is ridiculously difficult of a task due to many factors, one of which is the lack of precise guidelines and recipes online.

**sorry I missed the vegan part. I imagine you could experiment with more agar, although that might be the source of the odd flavour. If you also eat meat then try the recipe below. **

You should not use agar to gelatinize xiaolongbao. It should be mostly from the bones in your original broth.

Recipe
2 lbs chicken wings or feet (rinsed and cut
12oz. pork belly with skin (rinsed and cut)
8 cups water
3 whole scallions
1" ginger finely sliced
3 cloves garlic

After straining
2 tbsp. Shaoxing wine
1 tbsp. soy sauce

Skim the scum as it boils then slowly cook at a rolling simmer for 2.5 hrs. Remove the meat and bones.

Strain with colander and cheesecloth.
Add the broth back to the cleaned pot, add the wine and soy. Cook at a rolling simmer until reduced to 2 cups. Let cool until warm.

Put into a shallow baking dish and refrigerate for several hours until very cold and set.

To ensure a solid gelatin, you could add a small beef bone or extra wings to the original pot.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
You should not use agar to gelatinize xiaolongbao. It should be mostly from the bones in your original broth.

Recipe
8 cups water
3 whole scallions
1" ginger finely sliced
3 cloves garlic

After straining
2 tbsp. Shaoxing wine
1 tbsp. soy sauce

Skim the scum as it boils then slowly cook at a rolling simmer for 2.5 hrs. Remove the meat and bones.

Add the broth back to the cleaned pot, add the wine and soy. Cook at a rolling simmer until reduced to 2 cups. Let cool until warm.

Put into a shallow baking dish and refrigerate for several hours until very cold and set.

To ensure a solid gelatin, you could add a small beef bone or extra wings to the original pot.

The entire point of my post was about attempting to make a vegan version of Xiaolongbao. I'm vegan, so gelatine is not something I could use.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
No worries, I appreciated your earlier response trying to help out regardless. :)

No problem at all. The other issue of course is your dough. Did you make it from scratch? I have a recipe for the dough if you'd like to have it.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
No problem at all. The other issue of course is your dough. Did you make it from scratch? I have a recipe for the dough if you'd like to have it.
Yes, I did make my dough from scratch. I think one other issue I had was folding it. It's pretty damn difficult to do without practicing a lot. My dumplings were very dough-ey at their top part because of my amateur folding technique. Not sure if that contributed to them busting during steaming, but it might have.

P.S. Sure, post your dough recipe if you don't mind please. Although I'm not sure I'll take another crack at this any time soon.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Did you make the ends thinner than the center of your dumpling ? Makes it leak 100% of the time if you don't IMO.
Otherwise, it may be for molecular reasons or something, there's like a 40 celsius difference between the liquifying points, that may be it, I don't know.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
My roommate is a graduated cook and sommelier, who has worked in the past with a Michelin-starred chef and now serves in a top 10 restaurant in the country, so if I need any advice on food or wine I just shout his name across the appartment. Bretty cool.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
**sorry I missed the vegan part. I imagine you could experiment with more agar, although that might be the source of the odd flavour. If you also eat meat then try the recipe below. **

Recipe
8 cups water
3 whole scallions
1" ginger finely sliced
3 cloves garlic

After straining
2 tbsp. Shaoxing wine
1 tbsp. soy sauce

Quit switching your avatar! I’m a visual learner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad